Opinions / suggestions on my daily diet / exercise....

Nicola1985

Hi all

I'm pretty clued up when it comes to nutrition and fitness but I'm always keen to learn more and hear what others think so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on my daily diet / exercise regime. NB. I'm doing Slimming World but just a lil' bit stricter as I'm quite short and I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose so can't really afford to be having all the unlimited carbs / syns:-

Breakfast: 50g porridge oats (35g as HEXB + 15g as 2.5 syns) made with 200ml skimmed milk (part of HEXA) and chopped strawberries / cinammon. Cup of tea also made with skimmed milk.

Mid-morning snack: Apple, coffee with leftover milk from HEXA.

Lunch: Salad consisting of tinned tuna (in springwater), cherry tomatoes, cucumber, mixed leaves, 100g cannellini beans and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Mid-afternoon snack: 2 Dark Rye Ryvitas (3 syns) with 100g fat-free cottage cheese.

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast with roasted mixed veg (red peppers, courgette, broccoli) and 100g brown rice.

If I'm feeling desperate I'll also have a pot of fat-free Greek yoghurt with another apple or strawberries also. I know we don't do calorie counting here on SW but I've worked out this is around 1200 calories a day which I think is ok for my build (I'm 5"1).

In regards to exercise I do a couple of gym sessions a week consisting of a 7k run, push-ups, planks, squats, weight machine and 10 minutes on bike. I do kick-boxing DVD's 3 days a week also so currently exercising 5 days a week which I think is ok.

My losses have been slower than I'd have liked (as you can see in my signature) but I'm aware that exercise can affect the numbers on the scales due to muscle inflammation, muscle being "heavier" than fat (but I won't open that can of worms!). So I'm taking measurements weekly to track my progress this way also.

I'm finding I'm drinking quite a lot of coffee because, not only do I love it, but I find it supresses my appetite and gives me an energy boost. Thinking of trying to cut out caffeine though...not sure.

Anyway any feedback would be welcome :D

The content sounds good to me, only one thing I could possibly think is could you swap sometimes a fruit based snack for a veg based like carrot batons/cucumber etc. fruit does still contain sugar. Other than that its a brill diet.

Issue over exercise shouldn't be long term though it can effect it for a few weeks but shouldn't be long term it's usually water retention so I'd maybe swap the caffeine drinks for water. Or swap the porridge for a protein based Brekkie (bacon egg mushrooms)

Variety is important to

Thank you willfitskinnyjeans. I was actually considering swapping a fruit option for carrot sticks / cucumber - great minds eh!

Yes I agree that the exercise "weight" should balance itself out after a while. As for protein for breakfast I totally agree - was thinking of adding protein powder to my prrodge but good luck fiding the syn value for that lol :hmm:

Oddly I find that having salad with my lunch doesn't do a thing for my weightloss. I'm sure back in the mists of time one of my consultants said something like the bulk wasn't enough to count as 1/3 superfree. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong!

Thank you willfitskinnyjeans. I was actually considering swapping a fruit option for carrot sticks / cucumber - great minds eh!

Yes I agree that the exercise "weight" should balance itself out after a while. As for protein for breakfast I totally agree - was thinking of adding protein powder to my prrodge but good luck fiding the syn value for that lol :hmm:

Do you eat same things everyday ?

Bacon has 3 grams protein per slice - 6.7 gms protein in an egg. ------
6.7 gms protein in 50gms oats. - 6.8 gms protein in 200mls skimmed milk.

So your protein will depend on how much bacon you want to eat.

Bacon has 3 grams protein per slice - 6.7 gms protein in an egg. ------
6.7 gms protein in 50gms oats. - 6.8 gms protein in 200mls skimmed milk.

So your protein will depend on how much bacon you want to eat.

I wasn't referring to protein as in needing to eat more I was referring to it as a group of food source to mix up the breakfast.

Instead of eating an oat based plant protein, I personally find i don't need a snack pre lunch when I eat a "cooked breakfast " compared to if I have porridge. Sometimes mixing things up helps but I could be wrong.

For years I have eaten porridge for breakfast (pre SW) and never eat until lunch time. A few days recently when I did not have any porridge and had to eat other things I was really hungry before lunch. Maybe it is because this is what I am used to.

I don't agree to swapping the fruit snack, as fruit is super free and shouldn't be discouraged.

on the point of the cooked breakfast, I agree I do feel fuller if I've had one :) probably because the protein keeps you fuller. I always have 1/3 super free with a cooked brekkie too

For years I have eaten porridge for breakfast (pre SW) and never eat until lunch time. A few days recently when I did not have any porridge and had to eat other things I was really hungry before lunch. Maybe it is because this is what I am used to.

I'm the opposite systema, porridge makes me ravenous! But it's good for me and unprocessed so I keep persevering with it. I wish I was one of those people who couldn't stomach breakfast haha.

Yes I do. I know - monotonous or what. And I probably should have some variety but I think I'm hitting all the nutritional quotas

My opinion and its by no means expert so anyone disagree feel free to but our bodies need pushing and challenging to achieve. My dad lives off ranch salad n cottage cheese he never looses weight despite his calorie intake being very low.

Just like ppl can cycle 5 miles a day and always have done wont loose weight from it. I think you need to change this up your body is so used to it.

Why not mix it up for a few weeks and see? Uve nothing to loose.

Aswell tho if that was me I'd get bored and couldn't sustain that for more than a week.

Is there a reason you only have same things?

My opinion and its by no means expert so anyone disagree feel free to but our bodies need pushing and challenging to achieve. My dad lives off ranch salad n cottage cheese he never looses weight despite his calorie intake being very low.

Just like ppl can cycle 5 miles a day and always have done wont loose weight from it. I think you need to change this up your body is so used to it.

Aswell tho if that was me I'd get bored and couldn't sustain that for more than a week.

I agree try mix it up a bit an see what happens xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I agree too.. my weightlosses always seem to be better when i have had some variety in my meals. Like they said you have nothing to loose .. but pounds!! Give it a shot!

I think using your syns on extra porridge is a bit of a waste! try adding more fruit, such as raspberries, kiwi, banana. Or frozen fruit. Especially when you are also having extra ryvita. Your first choice of food should be all the free and superfree you can choose from. The measured healthy extras are there to protect your weight loss; it's your choice if you stick to them or not, but it could effect your weight loss. Lean ham, chicken and seafood sticks are good to snack on. Nothing wrong with snacking on fruit, and yogurts and to be honest, I think you could eat a lot more to satisfy your appetite. Coffee is free, so if you enjoy it - have it. Water is also important, and fruit teas or herbal teas/ green tea with lemon is another way of increasing your fluid intake. Your weight losses look quite good to me, nothing wrong with 6lb in 3 weeks. I can only say, trust the plan, it works for lots of people. What did you do in your first week? It might help to look back at that if you kept a food diary. xx

I think variety is the key, I usually plan lunch and dinner for the week and try and stick to it making sure not to eat the same every day, I have 5 different cereals to hand also so I can change every day

Agreed. Your body is probably on a boredom strike! Lol x

I suppose I eat these same things because I "trust" them if that makes sense. I have struggled in the past to put together a sensible eating plan for weight loss - I was once eating way too little, it was basically low carb, low fat and low everything! Needless to say it resulted in a monumental binge which then led me to restrict even more....cue vicious circle.

I find that if I start eating processed food such as artifically sweetened yoghurt, packet rice / noodles, bread, etc. I crave junk food more whereas if I eat plain / unprocessed food I do not crave as much and feel so much healthier. I feel my daily menu consists of all the foods that are the best for your health, but that's just my opinion.

I think you need variety new foods doesn't mean eating junk food.

Vary your meat or swap some meat for fish, fish cakes, spag bol, chilli, try some pickled veg in your salad few times a week. There's so many recipes you can try.
I have a different breakfast most days
Magic pancakes
Bacon eggs
Spinach n poached eggs
Fruit and natural yoghurt
Omelette
Fromage frais with vanilla pod and almond

The list goes on. Your losses are good in any event but that's my suggestion :)

Back