Opinions & thoughts please another child related post

big bear

A bear on a mission!
My son is 3.5 years old, he wakes up at 6.30am/7am. He gets up on his own goes to the front room & plays with his toys or watches cartoons.

I sometimes don't hear him or if I do I sometimes stay in bed snoozing but am still aware of what he is up to. The kitchen door is locked & we live in a flat so all on one floor.

A person who shall remain nameless says that this is completely wrong & if anything happened social services would take the children off me.

Am I wrong in letting him do this? How can I stop him as sometimes he gets up quietly & plays quietly so that he doesn't wake me or the little one.

Opinions please as I'm now really worried as been told this is neglect.

I wouldn't be concerned, you can't possibly watch them 24/7.
I would say a LOT of parents do this, and even those who don't certainly do not follow their children in to their bedrooms and watch them play.
To make you feel better maybe you could put a baby monitor in the room in which he goes to play?! That way if you don't hear him get up you'll probably hear him playing and at least will be alert to the fact he's up.

My daughter is 5, and is still like that to this day.
She can even be sleeping in the same bed as me most nights and I still don't wake up till I hear her giggling away in her own room. But I wouldn't say I feel bad about it, she's playing in her room, which she does in the middle of the day too but I'll be downstairs in the living room, you cant watch them all the time.
Obviously if you have a smaller one then your flat is probably quite safety proofed.
What has happened when you've woke up? If he's just sat in the front room all quietly and sat there watching the tv then I really wouldn't think that is a big deal.

Jodie-D said:
My daughter is 5, and is still like that to this day.
She can even be sleeping in the same bed as me most nights and I still don't wake up till I hear her giggling away in her own room. But I wouldn't say I feel bad about it, she's playing in her room, which she does in the middle of the day too but I'll be downstairs in the living room, you cant watch them all the time.
Obviously if you have a smaller one then your flat is probably quite safety proofed.
What has happened when you've woke up? If he's just sat in the front room all quietly and sat there watching the tv then I really wouldn't think that is a big deal.

Yeah he just puts tv on & plays with his trains. Flat is safety proof as little one 19mths old & he can't get in kitchen...

What a load of claptrap - I suppose it's also neglect to let kids play or watch TV in their bedroom on their own then! > This is no different & if he's so quiet how on earth are you supposed to know? > You've made his environment as safe as can be feasable (locked kitchen, doors & windows etc) so tell this 'nameless person' to butt out :p

I wouldn't worry, your on the same floor as him, the kitchen is locked and if he's taken himself to the other room to play and not woken you up, what can you do. I live in a 3 story house, our bedroom and on-suite are on the top floor, little ones room is on the middle along with an office, bathroom and spare room. Downstairs is open plan living room, dining room and kitchen.

My little one is 4 in July, he never goes downstairs without me in the morning, but we unplug the TV at night so he wouldn't be able to turn it on himself anyway. Usually when he gets up he wants breakfast so he'll come upstairs to wake us up, however sometimes he just gets up and plays in his room for a while. Surely this is only the same as your little one going into the next room to play. I also let him play in his room if he wants during the day when I'm downstairs and I even leave him downstairs watching TV or playing while I go upstairs to do housework :O

I think its awful that someone has suggested your neglectful of your child. Does she have children herself?

By the sounds of it your flat is pretty safe and if something happened it would be something happening to your furniture or walls ect. and not something that would harm your son. If your still worried (which I suppose your bound to be when someone has said its neglect even though that's completely unfounded) the baby monitor is a good idea, or you could keep asking him just to pop into your room to wake you before he goes to play.

Even if the social services knew, I don't think they would take your child away unless this silly person had proof you were actually neglecting your child- which you are clearly not :hug99:

I wouldn't worry Hun x

My son is 3.5 years old, he wakes up at 6.30am/7am. He gets up on his own goes to the front room & plays with his toys or watches cartoons.

I sometimes don't hear him or if I do I sometimes stay in bed snoozing but am still aware of what he is up to. The kitchen door is locked & we live in a flat so all on one floor.

A person who shall remain nameless says that this is completely wrong & if anything happened social services would take the children off me.

Am I wrong in letting him do this? How can I stop him as sometimes he gets up quietly & plays quietly so that he doesn't wake me or the little one.

Opinions please as I'm now really worried as been told this is neglect.

Don't worry nothing has happened has it? Do you think anything is likely to happen and if so what can you to to prevent it?
I like the idea of putting a baby monitor in the room for peace of mind but I have let all 3 of my kids do this when they have been quite little because I felt it safe to do so and was too bloomin exhausted to get up when didn't need to!
I've also been caused stress by the opinions of others on my child rearing this week as you know sending you hugs hun!
We do need to provide adequate provision for our kids but it is quite a grey area as it is impossible to watch them all the time and we do need to sleep!
Maybe this person is just a worrier themself or doesn't have kids and fully understand or maybe they are trying to make you feel bad but if you feel your child is safe then I think they probably are as safe as they can be!

my son has always done the same and never came to any harm although he did draw on the wall one morning. hes now 7 and gets up and makes himself toast or porridge which he puts in microwave. u cant wrap them in cotton wool and sounds like u have already done everything possible to keep him safe

I think your 'friend' needs to shut up. He/she obviously has no bloody clue what would make social services take away kids. Aside from anything else social services can't just take your kids away without having substantial evidence of neglect ( which this isn't anyway) over a sustained period of time.

Big Bear. I wouldn't mind betting that this "nameless" person is jealous of your self sufficient little person who is happy to play on their own. I also recon that they are jealous that you get to have the occasional snooze :)

You know your kids are safe so don't let this worry you. Some kids get up in the middle of the night and play with their toys, their parents don't stay awake all night, just in case.

Back