Origins of words and phrases...

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
I'm not sure whether this will catch on or not, but I've always been interested in the origins of words and common phrases, so I wondered whether anyone knows the story behind some interesting words/phrases?

The one that's always stuck with me is the origin of 'beyond the pale'...the pale was an area of Ireland that was under English government, and was therefore deemed to be a civilised area. Other 'uncivilized' areas beyond that were literally beyond the pale...hence the modern idea that if something is beyond the pale it's unruly or uncivilized.

I would love to see this thread catch on. I love words, meanings, origins etc and can not abide the lack of use of the English language today. The use of initials and abbreviations annoys me so much and the worst of all for me is text speak used for any purpose other than texting..............grumble over !!!

One that sticks in my mind and do not ask me why is the origins of Kick the bucket

when people hanged themselves by standing on a bucket with a noose around their neck and then kicking the bucket away.

hence..............He/she kicked the bucket.

I loved your explanations of Beyond the Pale.

That's an interesting one Sue, I never realised that's where the saying came from.

My phrase for today is mind your p's and q's...

One theory on the origin is that it comes from English pubs and taverns of the seventeenth century. Bartenders would keep a watch on the alcohol consumption of the patrons; keeping an eye on the pints and quarts that were consumed. As a reminder to the patrons, the bartender would recommend they "mind their Ps and Qs". This may also have been a reminder to bartenders not to confuse the two units, written as "p" and "q" on the tally slate.

Xxx

That's an interesting one Sue, I never realised that's where the saying came from.

My phrase for today is mind your p's and q's...

One theory on the origin is that it comes from English pubs and taverns of the seventeenth century. Bartenders would keep a watch on the alcohol consumption of the patrons; keeping an eye on the pints and quarts that were consumed. As a reminder to the patrons, the bartender would recommend they "mind their Ps and Qs". This may also have been a reminder to bartenders not to confuse the two units, written as "p" and "q" on the tally slate.

Xxx

I love that !!! I have often tried to work it out and always thought that it meant watch your pleases and thank yous P's and Q's but your explanation is much more interesting.

The word Thug is derived from.....................

The word originated from India describing a band of ruthless bandits in the hills of India. These mythical bandits wore yellow (or orange) bandana which they used to strangle unsuspecting travelers. The ‘hugghi’ only kill their victims by this way.
During British occupation, the British soldiers decided to erradicate the ‘thugghi’. They found thousands of bodies burried by them. From that point on, the word ‘thug’ was used to describe someone who is ruthless

As I'm not really a morning person the phrase, Get out of the wrong side of the bed (be in a bad mood) is one I hear quite a lot lol

Apparently the origin is from ancient superstition which held it to be unlucky to touch the floor first with the left foot when getting out of bed. Earlier versions of the expression with the same meaning were: 'You got out of bed the wrong way', and 'You got out of bed with the left leg foremost' (which perhaps explains why today's version, which trips off the tongue rather more easily, developed).

My phrase for today is bite the bullet...

There was often no time to administer an anaesthetic before emergency surgery during battle. The surgeon made patients bite down on a bullet in an attempt to distract them from the pain.

I've just been reading about the phrase 'mind your own beeswax'...

Apparently this came from the days when smallpox was a regular disfigurement. Fine ladies would fill in the pocks with beeswax. When the weather was very warm the wax might melt, but it was not the thing to do for one lady to tell another that her makeup needed attention. Hence the sharp rebuke to "mind your own beeswax!"

I studied the origins of words, phrases and their meanings at uni and also love this stuff. I'm a language geek! One I love is "wrong end of the stick". Apparently it could stem from medieval or roman times when the way to clean yourself up after using the loo would be to use a stick with a rag on the end of it. Getting the wrong end wasn't something you'd want to do! I never did find out if that's really where it came from though!

I studied the origins of words, phrases and their meanings at uni and also love this stuff. I'm a language geek! One I love is "wrong end of the stick". Apparently it could stem from medieval or roman times when the way to clean yourself up after using the loo would be to use a stick with a rag on the end of it. Getting the wrong end wasn't something you'd want to do! I never did find out if that's really where it came from though!

Lovely, haha! :D

My phrase for today is to butter somebody up...

This comes from an ancient Indian custom which involved throwing balls of clarified butter at statues of the gods to seek favour.

My phrase for today is Cat got your tongue?

There are two possible sources for this common saying. The first refers to the cat-o’-nine-tails – a whip used by the English Navy for flogging. The whip caused so much pain that the victims were left speechless. The second refers to the practice of cutting out the tongues of liars and blasphemers and feeding them to cats.

Love this thread! The only ones I knew was the breakfast and P's & Q's ones, so I have learnt a lot already. I am really into quotes / sayings and where they originated etc.

My contribution will be "goodnight, sleep tight", and this is where I believe (correct me if I am wrong) it may come from: In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled the ropes, the mattress would tighten, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase, "goodnight, sleep tight" :)

Today's phrase...caught red handed

This saying originated because of a law. If someone butchered an animal that didn’t belong to him, he had to be caught with the animal’s blood on his hands to be convicted. Being caught with freshly cut meat did not make the person guilty.

Three sheets to the wind is a nautical term for being drunk :drunk:

Apparently the original term was "three sheets in the wind" and sailors had a sliding scale dependent upon the level of drunkenness, so one sheet in the wind was just someone 'tipsy'.

Morning, I have a couple for you all

FACE THE MUSIC
Meaning - To accept the truth or consequences, especially of ones own actions
Origin - Originates from the British Military practice of playing the drums when someone was court marshalled

A LOAD OF COBBLERS
Meaning - Nonsense, rubbish
Origin - This is a classic of Cockney Rhyming Slang. It has nothing directly to do with shoemakers but originates from 'cobblers' awls', the pointed hand-tools that cobblers use to pierce holes in leather. The rhyme is with 'balls', meaning testicles.
The phrase is often reduced to simply 'cobblers', which is now considered an acceptable, as many may not be aware of its origin. 'Cobblers' sounds as though it might have been said by cheeky Victorian barrow boys in a Dickens Novel

EXCUSE MY FRENCH
Meaning - Please forgive my swearing
Origin - In the 19th century, when English people used French expressions in conversation they
often apologised for it, possibly because many of their listeners wouldn't be familiar with the language

The word "school" is derived from the Welsh word "ysgol" (us-goll) which does mean school in Welsh but also means "ladder". I love the idea of a school being a ladder of learning. :)

The phrase 'cold enough to freeze to balls off a brass monkey' apparently comes from naval ships where a monkey was a brass thingymabob to hold cannonballs. When it got cold the metal would contract and the balls would fall off.
I think there is some debate of the truth of this but I like this origin the best.
Also crap comes from Thomas crapper who invented the toilet. Sorry...lowering the tone!

Back