Orlistat? To take or not to take!?

Chezb21

Hi I've tried orlistat before and didn't have a fantastic outcome, however admittedly I wasn't very 'good' on them. The doctor just prescribed them and sent me on my way assuming they were some miracle pill and I could now eat a KFC without feeling guilty... Well yeh the after affects were not so good lol! Anyway a few years on I've actually looked into them again and realised your not supposed to eat more than 5g of fat? So really tempted to try again, have these worked for anybody or does anyone have any advise ? Thanks

Hiya! Yes, I've taken them for 2 years and lost 9 stone. As you say, they're not a wonder drug, most of the work comes from you controlling your diet, they just give a little boost and a lot of people are motivated to stay on the straight and narrow due to fear of the side effects, lol. One problem I have had is that I've developed gallstones whilst taking them, but that's a common result of any kind of significant weight loss. :) xx

I agree with Tracy they just make you avoid the foods you know you shouldn't really eat. I was on them for 4 months & carried on eating sensibly & lost 7st 7lbs in 14 months. Admittedly I'm carrying a stone of that again now but honestly best decision I ever made was asking the Doc for help x

I took them for the first 2 months and lost a stone and a half and they've motivated me to lose another 1.5 stone by myself. Actually considering taking them again to help boost my weight loss and keep me motivated :) xx

I'm seeing my doctor on Monday to ask about Orlistat - as well as something for my suspected PCOS - because I really think it would give me the extra boost I need. I've looked into it, but I'm a little confused. Is it 5g fat per meal? And you only take the Orlistat if you actually eat, right?

Hiya! No, it's 5g of fat per 100g ie. 5% fat, with a maximum of 45g fat per day, spread between your meals. No need to go veggie, just select lean meat. For the fat content, if you look on My Fitness Pal you should be able to find out the fat level in different types of meat. :) xx

I assumed it was something more like that, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying! Can it be worked out as no more than a certain gram amount of fat per meal - like 10g fat per meal or something - or does it need to be worked out % per g?

LowCarb said:
I assumed it was something more like that, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying! Can it be worked out as no more than a certain gram amount of fat per meal - like 10g fat per meal or something - or does it need to be worked out % per g?

It's the percentage that's vital, because if that's too high, you'll likely get the dreaded Tango effect! ;) xx

Back