orlistat/ xenical & pcos

sarahaglover

hi all. After losing 65lbs on sw (took over a year which considering I have a lot to lose was slow) my losses have stalled so after going to docs she has suggested I try orlistat. Just wondered if anyone else has used this n if it worked (along side pcos). She said if it makes no difference I could try metformin x

I find this drug to be the worst in my opinion. I have a fear of having a No2 in any other toilet than my own and this takes all the fat out of food and you have to go to the tolied quite a bit. Or worse still it can just leak out. Not a life friendly solution for me. It didn't help me with my weight loss either but neither does Metformin. The Cambridge Weight Plan is the only thing that works for me.

Hi Sarah,

I am also doing SW and have PCOS, I am thinking of asking the doctor for orlistat to help with my loss. I have the same concern as Missus_L as I done it a few years back and it leaked out whenever it felt like it. I might wait until the summer break and try it. Making my app next wk with the doctor.

Hi,

I have PCOS and have been trying for many years before I was even diagnosed with PCOS to battle with the weight loss. My doctor has said to try orlistat, but after reading this and past experiences with my mum I don't think I will be able to with my job. I work in the soft drinks industry and so I can't work if I have the runs for 48 hours afterwards. Therefore I could well be out of a job, think I will go back to my doctors and find out my other options. Good Luck with you all trying orlistat I haven't heard of anything bad about this drug and PCOS sufferers taking it.

Liz

LizB said:
Hi,

I have PCOS and have been trying for many years before I was even diagnosed with PCOS to battle with the weight loss. My doctor has said to try orlistat, but after reading this and past experiences with my mum I don't think I will be able to with my job. I work in the soft drinks industry and so I can't work if I have the runs for 48 hours afterwards. Therefore I could well be out of a job, think I will go back to my doctors and find out my other options. Good Luck with you all trying orlistat I haven't heard of anything bad about this drug and PCOS sufferers taking it.

Liz

You only get runs if you eat high fat foods. It's the fat coming out, sort of oily stools, it's horrible. But non fatty food should cause no problems. Also I'm in care industry and also can not work with runs for 48 hrs. But it's not something you can catch, it's not infectious, so it's not a tummy bug. Working is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I thought the issue was you were basically excreting bacteria that grew in your gut could cause a problem also. I could be wrong. I'm having problems with my joints at the moment so I'm between this and seeing if my local health authority will fund weightless surgery or not. Many decisions lie ahead. Thank you for your reply

Liz

LizB said:
I thought the issue was you were basically excreting bacteria that grew in your gut could cause a problem also. I could be wrong. I'm having problems with my joints at the moment so I'm between this and seeing if my local health authority will fund weightless surgery or not. Many decisions lie ahead. Thank you for your reply

Liz

Oh really? I didn't know that, but your probably right, good luck with the gp. I watched a very interesting programme on weight loss surgery. It was horizon - truth about fat. You should Try to watch it on BBC catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I took this it is not a nice drug at all and I gained weight on it. it takes a few weeks in but then you get the nasty symptoms of leaking even on a low fat diet as well as not knowing when you are going to have upset tummy either. I was exercising and eating right and I gained over 7 pound

Back