OT - ish - car accident and upset and wanting to eat something!

LizS

Shut up Ethel
Mr L had a car accident last night - he's fine, but his poor car is totally crunched up. We had to get it recovered this morning, it was so upsetting to see it all bent out of shape. And I keep thinking about what would have happened if he was a couple of feet further forward - he was sideswiped - actually, no, don't want to think about that.

Last night I was really shaken and upset and wanted to eat toast to comfort myself. Today I am 'hungry' (despite ketosis) and want to eat to relieve stress and upset and shock.

Car will cost a LOT to repair, but I couldn't replace it for the same amount of money, so have to bite the bullet. Its a really good little car, such low mileage and in great condition, so its worth doing. Also, it was a gift, we didn't pay for it, so perhaps we're just paying now what we should have paid when we got it!

No point to this post really just wanted to write it down. Even a small, no injury accident has turned out to be really distressing.

And no I haven't eaten but I'm annoyed that i want to!

what about insurance.
and i'm glad Mr L is ok.
there is defo a point with this post, your sharing your feelings with friends.

Oh sorry to hear that, but glad that Mr L is okay!!!! Metal can be fixed/replaced and all that. Trust me, my dh is a panelbeater and I hear some stories!

Try not to let it get you down, instead think how lucky you are to have each other and take joy from that, you'll feel better!

You KNOW you're not hungry and you don't need to eat, just your mind playing tricks with you. So tell your mind to sod off and stop annoying you, lol.

Are you not insured? Would it not be best to claim your insurance rather than pay for it yourself?

Thanks - yes, we are insured, but only TPFT so have to pay for our own damages.

Haven't succumbed to eating anything as I know it isn't the answer, but am just annoyed with how my thoughts turn instantly to food

So tell your mind to sod off and stop annoying you, lol.

Am trying to do that myself! lol

Main thing is that Mr L is ok. I know that's easy to say but it's true.

Thank goodness that your husband wasn't hurt in the accident. There are times when we feel tested on cd. It is only human to want to gain comfort from something be it food or whatever. The important thing is not to give in to it, stay strong, distract yourself and this time will pass. You will feel better soon and be so glad you didn't go off plan!

Glad he is okay

Although if the accident was other persons fault their insurance should pay out for damage to your car.

!

And I keep thinking about what would have happened if he was a couple of feet further forward - he was sideswiped - actually, no, don't want to think about that.

Yeah, don't go there! When I was a kid I was in the front passenger seat (pre-booster seat days, flimsy Morris Marina) when we got sideswiped. Luckily the car hit the rear quarter of the car, I dread to think what would have happened if he'd hit where I was sitting...

When you say sideswiped, did someone pull out into the side of him? Or did he pull across someone?

Car will cost a LOT to repair, but I couldn't replace it for the same amount of money, so have to bite the bullet. Its a really good little car, such low mileage and in great condition, so its worth doing

Was the person who hit him not insured? There is a fund which you can apply to for stuff like this; if this is the case let me know and I'll dig out the info for you.

Otherwise, the 3rd party's insurance will foot the bill if they're at fault. If it's a Cat D or a Cat X write-off then it might be worthwhile buying it back from the insurer and having it repaired, if the car means that much to you (or if they play silly ******* and give you a daft, low, valuation).

Thank you all for being so kind and helpful. It WAS Mr L's fault. He pulled out of a side road onto the main (60 mph, country road) when he shouldn't have done. Turning right out of junction, and hit from the right by a van. Bloke may have been going a bit fast, but no proof (police weren't called) - insurers think its Mr L's fault.

So it doesn't matter in terms of damage to my car if other bloke is insured or not. It might to him - depends on how much it is - my excess is a couple of hundred quid, plus will lose 2 years worth of no claims discount - if its more than that's worth, then will ask him to go through insurance and its his problem if he's not insured. But there's no way we can claim against him, really.

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm so glad he's ok though.

Always, always call the police in an accident. Seriously, if it's that bad you call the police. It's so much easier. Might be worth speaking to someone about it anyway, but don't know what you can do now. I guess if he knows it was his fault anyway, not much in it. Even if the other guy was going too fast, it probably would have ended up as equal blame rather than anyone's fault. If that makes sense!

Well I hope that it all works out ok! And just think, while it might cost to repair, Mr L is ok, and that's the main thing.

Thank you all for being so kind and helpful. It WAS Mr L's fault. He pulled out of a side road onto the main (60 mph, country road) when he shouldn't have done. Turning right out of junction, and hit from the right by a van. Bloke may have been going a bit fast, but no proof (police weren't called) - insurers think its Mr L's fault.

So it doesn't matter in terms of damage to my car if other bloke is insured or not. It might to him - depends on how much it is - my excess is a couple of hundred quid, plus will lose 2 years worth of no claims discount - if its more than that's worth, then will ask him to go through insurance and its his problem if he's not insured. But there's no way we can claim against him, really.

Ok, my advice is this: do *not* offer to pay for the damage to the 3rd party's van! Give him Mr. L's insurance details, and get his of you have not done so already. The van driver should contact his own insurer and pass Mr L's details on to them, and let the insurance companies sort it out between them. That's the proper way to go about it and if the van driver is uninsured then he's stuffed, but that's not Mr L's problem... It won't affect the van driver's NCB or anything; he'd have to report an accident when he next takes out insurance but it'll be a 'not at fault, no cost' type declaration and won't affect his premium. Don't let him try and play games with you around this side of things, I've heard of *that* before...

For Mr L, is he fully comp? If he is, it'll be sorted one way or another. If he's 3rd party then buying the car back is a consideration, but (without seeing the car...) if he was hit at 60mph, depending on how much braking there was, the car's going to be pretty paggered and might end up a Cat C write off and I personally wouldn't want to drive it even after it's been fixed.

Cheers - but it was his fault, damage to our car very extensive, damage to van not much - will prob put through insurance when he claims against us unless it turns out to be fifty quid or whatever. then if he's not insured, his problem not mine. My car already in the repair shop.

And to be honest I don't care very much about the money. its only money, and its only a tin box with a wheel at each corner. He could have been killed yesterday. And wasn't. So the cost is immaterial, really! (and also his fault - am honest soul, so should pay up)

He could have been killed yesterday. And wasn't. So the cost is immaterial, really!

Ah this is true! Sorry, with me doing the motor racing I'm a member of a couple of car groups and I'm used to people on about insurance and stuff lol

Glad he's ok! :D

So sorry to hear about your news and well done for staying on track.. Mr L was in my gang yesterday someone hit my car and caused 1000 pounds worth of damage and then very kndly drove off..

I have just had the insurance pay out for malicious damage done to it two months ago!

I reported the hit and run to the Police and they were not in the least bit interested. They gave me a log number and then said case closed.

I was actually on my way to a hospital appt.. I was not injured but to add insult to injury guess who was selling their car today? yep you guessed it it was me....

your right though I am still here and I hope to god the hit and run driver gets it back ten times worse! :mad: I totally understand accidents happen but to drive off is unforgiveable.

Back