Overcoming chocolate cravings

Discussion in 'Challenges - Weight Loss & Otherwise!' started by Smiley Bon, 19 February 2009 Social URL.

1. Smiley Bon

Smiley Bon Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    I was just wondering if people had any tips for overcoming those awful chocolate cravings?!!

I have heard of ideas such as just having one of those 10p Freddy Frog choc bars, or buying a box of Celebrations and just having 2 when you feel a craving... but I would soooo just eat the whole box!!

Any ideas from anyone?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Chatter

Chatter New Member

Start Weight:
    14st12lb
    Diet:
    Cambrige SS+
    How about having a drink of water...my favourite's sparkling...and waiting for a while whilst you distract yourself. I'm on the Cambridge Diet and I have half a choc flavour shake drink to to take the edge off if I really need to.

4. Too Heavy Hannah

Too Heavy Hannah Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st3lb(22.61%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I've coped by having skinny cow hot chocolate...it's lovely! :D

5. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Depends what diet youre on. If youre Calorie counting, on WW or SW etc then have something if its what you want, just incorporate it into your menu. Find some low points/syn/cal goodies and keep them in, sometimes I find knowing I have something in and its there if I want it, kills the craving, its when I dont have something available or think 'I cant have it' that the problems start

If you have chocolate, keep it in the fridge or freezer, it lasts SO much longer ;)

6. abz

abz Gold Member

the fridge/freezer idea is a good one!!

i love the skinny cow ice cream things but you aren't an ice cream fan are you? hmmm.

hot chocolate is a good idea. especially at the mo when it's all wintery.

sorry. i haven't been helpful at all. so i'll just say hi again. hi :D

abz xx

7. Smiley Bon

Smiley Bon Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Oh I like the hot chocolate idea... you can get some really nice low cal and low fat ones and in different flavours... and also chocolate milkshake, I'd forgotten I used to drink that when i had a craving... Those ideas might be the way forward for me :D

Thanks for your help :)

8. nexangelus

nexangelus Carpe diem, baby!

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(15.58%)
    Diet:
    Clean eating (no processed food)
    Again low cal isn't always the answer...cocoa is less fattening than hot choccie as it doesn't have all the carbs in it (and carbs tend to make one feel hungry)...I also eat very dark choccie now 85 - 86% cocoa solids...you only need a couple of squares...it's real food, honest!

9. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Spot on there :clap:

It does depend on which diet you are doing, but according to your 'sidebar' you are just doing the 'healthy eating' thing ;)

If that's the case, ditch the additives put in stuff to make it palatable (because it aint if you've taken the fats and sugars out) and go for the dark chocolate of 80% cocoa or more. Much harder to overeat compared to milk chocolate and curbs the cravings quicker.

10. dehli

dehli Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(10.47%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I put a teaspoon of cocoa in some plain fat free yogurt, that helps my chocolate cravings.

I also try to imagine chocolate coming out of a dog's rear end. That sometimes works!

11. Smiley Bon

Smiley Bon Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Oh i like that cocoa and yoghurt idea :) sounds lovely :D

And your other idea made me chuckle, hehe, I think that might help you know!!

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas :D I have been doing ok at resisting :D well til Friday when i had a Whole Nut bar... but I enjoyed it soooo much! and that was my treat, so i wont feel too bad about it. I am back to being good again.

12. Indieflower

Indieflower I have my mojo

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st13lb(39.27%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Red
    I overcome the choc craving with the new Mullerlight yoghurts with Chocolate sprinkles in it....I love them.

Although, if I'm ever craving chocolate it's usually just cos I need an energy boost and so put a sugar in my tea once in a while.

Goood luck overcoming the craving

K x

13. Smiley Bon

Smiley Bon Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Ah thanks for your thoughts :D

I can't have the Muller Light yoghurts though as they aren't veggie friendly - boo!

I was thinking about my chocolate craving, and it is always about mid afternoon when i just need a boost to get me through the afternoon.... So i was thinking it must be the sugar that helps... so I am thinking of trying hot choc with sweetner in it :D something sweet but ok is what i need... humm... fruit i suppose...

Thanks for the thoughts Indieflower :) very kind.

14. nexangelus

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(15.58%)
    Diet:
    Before I forget, one of my fave protein top ups is this and it only comes to 90 calories if that: 125g danone activia natural low fat yoghurt (yeah I know low fat!) with a teaspoon of cocoa mixed well in with a teaspoon of splenda...mmmm...it has a fab 6.1g of protein! And the carb levels aren't bad if you are doing low carbing...

15. Georgiestar

Georgiestar Silver Member

ive been having a celebrations chocolate a day or after eights but, i know everyones different im not tempted to eat the whole box.

otherwise I like veg and dips or riveta i also have grapes and, i have weight watches yogurts which are really nice they do cheese cake ones, sometimes i have nesquick chocolate milk or nescafe skinny capucino, I also have honey on toast with a bit of butter on.

Last edited: 3 March 2009
  16. abz

abz Gold Member

hey honey. have you had the alpro chocolate desserts? they are low in cals, fat and are vegan so you shouldn't have any probs there. usually with the long life milk etc in the supermarket, not the yoghurts section. and they are SO yummy. might have to look those out again myself...

abz xx

17. SuperfUZZ

SuperfUZZ New Member

Current Weight:
    9st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    I chew sugarfree gum when I'm craving chocolate. It's still sweet, and two pieces usually knock my chocolate cravings on the head quite substantially.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. nexangelus

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(15.58%)
    Diet:
    Trouble is with chewing gum, it can make some people (I am one of those people) hungry or hungrier...must be the action of the enzymes in saliva or something?!

20. abz

abz Gold Member

i think the chewing helps me. a lot of the time when i'm eating i'm not actually hungry, so chomping on something stops me shoving something else into my mouth...

abz xx

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.