Original Pah, what am i doing wrong?

Charlie Woo Woo

Silver Member
Hi, apologies as Im sure you've had so many members saying how this isnt working for them and, well, im wondering if this plan is working for me??
I started 2 weeks ago after loosing weight on Cambridge Diet/Slim and save. I wanted to loose the rest on a healthy eating plan so had a months break to get me body used to food again and started slimming world.
I can hand on my heart say that I have stuck to plan 100% and had my between 5-15 syns a day and the first week I lost 2.5lbs. I was a bit gutted but had my monthly visitor so put it down to that.
This week only 0.5lbs off... Imagine how gutted I felt after that. Ive been eating loads of free and superfree foods and had my 2 HEX'a and have strictly used my food diaries.
Can anyone give me any tips? Ive seen how people have lost atleast 7lbs within 2 weeks and im spending alot of time cooking and alot of money on fresh veg/fruit and meat and wondering if its worth it? My consultant said she cannot see anything wrong with my food diary so im stuck!!

Hey, firstly don't give up. Secondly as I'm finding out it can take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to your next way of eating and then as long as your sticking to plan and eating enough you should find the weight soon comes off. Also some people lose a lot in the first couple of weeks then struggle for weeks and weeks after that, and some lose small but every week. 3lb in 2 weeks is still great well done x

Hi there
I don't lose much weight on red days, but enjoy them more than ee or green, maybe shake it up a bit and do a couple of each and see how you get on? x

Calm Down. You aren't doing anything wrong as far as the plan is concerned.

I think your biggest issue it that you have a unrealistic expectation of how much weight can be lost on SW in a week. 2.5 lbs lost when its you TOTM? Thats a bloody miracle, especially if you have moved over from a VLCD or shake type diet like Cambridge & Slim & Save. Its no wonder your body thought 'what the hells going on here then' in your 2nd week and didn't respond accordingly.

You should expect to lose between 1 & 2 lbs a week on SW. Those people that loose 7lbs in their 1st two weeks have, with a very few exceptions, been eating rubbish food, take aways, chocolate, crisps and booze pre SW, not been following a plan like you have.

I lost 1lb in my 1st week btw. I have lost more than 3lbs on 2 occassions since- both after a well deserved gain, so they don't really count!

If you want to loose fast, then go back to Cambridge or Slim & Save. If you want loose, and stay slim when you get to target, then SW Is the best choice.

oasis6918 said:
Hey, firstly don't give up. Secondly as I'm finding out it can take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to your next way of eating and then as long as your sticking to plan and eating enough you should find the weight soon comes off. Also some people lose a lot in the first couple of weeks then struggle for weeks and weeks after that, and some lose small but every week. 3lb in 2 weeks is still great well done x

My consultant said my body is adjusting to it, It just seemed a bit odd when the 3 other people that started same week as me have lost about 7lbs each... made me wonder what id done wrong :)

matildaisy said:
Hi there
I don't lose much weight on red days, but enjoy them more than ee or green, maybe shake it up a bit and do a couple of each and see how you get on? x

Hi, I always do EE and have thought about doing a red/green 7 day menu planner from the
may magazine that I got free when I joined. Hmm seems worth a try!

You can't really compare losses with other people even if they are starting from exactly the same weight and it tends to be the people who have more to lose and who have not been dieting who lose more in the first couple of weeks but then even they will normally shift into a 1-2lb weekly loss. I agree with the other poster who said that if you want to lose quickly do a vlcd but it is so difficult to maintain that weight loss and it isn't a realistic plan for life. If you look at the food you have eaten over the past week and then think about what you had on Cambridge you will have consumed so much more but still lost weight so well done you. Your body is probably still not quite sure what's going on as it's been on vlcd to normal eating to low fat so give it a bit of time to adjust and catch up.

kingleds said:
Calm Down. You aren't doing anything wrong as far as the plan is concerned.

I think your biggest issue it that you have a unrealistic expectation of how much weight can be lost on SW in a week. 2.5 lbs lost when its you TOTM? Thats a bloody miracle, especially if you have moved over from a VLCD or shake type diet like Cambridge & Slim & Save. Its no wonder your body thought 'what the hells going on here then' in your 2nd week and didn't respond accordingly.

You should expect to lose between 1 & 2 lbs a week on SW. Those people that loose 7lbs in their 1st two weeks have, with a very few exceptions, been eating rubbish food, take aways, chocolate, crisps and booze pre SW, not been following a plan like you have.

I lost 1lb in my 1st week btw. I have lost more than 3lbs on 2 occassions since- both after a well deserved gain, so they don't really count!

If you want to loose fast, then go back to Cambridge or Slim & Save. If you want loose, and stay slim when you get to target, then SW Is the best choice.

Hi and thanks. I did do the VLCD and done well on it for the few weeks I was on it but I never intended to stay on it and I didnt like not being able to cook healthy meals and eat them with my family and my 8 year old was aking questions and so I didnt think it was good for him to see. I certainly dont want to go back to a VLCD. This is the reason I had a months, can I add fairly sensible break from going from a VLCD to slimming world. I didnt gorge on bad food as I didnt want to gain the weight I had lost on VLCD, so as you said that could be a reason. I honestly dont expect anything higher then 2 off every week but I did expect more than 3lbs in my first 2 weeks! I dont want to give up and im enjoying eating healthy meals and was just looking for some tips on anything I could do or try.

Last edited:
peacelily said:
You can't really compare losses with other people even if they are starting from exactly the same weight and it tends to be the people who have more to lose and who have not been dieting who lose more in the first couple of weeks but then even they will normally shift into a 1-2lb weekly loss. I agree with the other poster who said that if you want to lose quickly do a vlcd but it is so difficult to maintain that weight loss and it isn't a realistic plan for life. If you look at the food you have eaten over the past week and then think about what you had on Cambridge you will have consumed so much more but still lost weight so well done you. Your body is probably still not quite sure what's going on as it's been on vlcd to normal eating to low fat so give it a bit of time to adjust and catch up.

I am 13stone 8 so have about 3 stone to loose. I exercise regularly and enjoy my big meals so struggled on VLCD and will not go back to that. It was just a kickstart as I was severly depressed about the state an size Id eatem myself in too.

Just to say, I dont want big losses every week...
please understand that I just wanted some tips and advice as I dont consider 3lbs in first 2 weeks that great for my size and effort.

I will def try the 7 day planner where it mixes red and green days :)

aw_bless said:
I feel exactly the same as you do at times and although I KNOW it's a marathon and not a sprint, it can be frustrating.

One of the other members posted this last week and I love reading it now when I'm feeling similar to how you are today.

Take a look :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/288584-see-fb-thought-might-help.html

Arghh thats a great story. Thanks. I suppose a big part is that im so down about it... blah blah same as loads of people I know but I go to Egypt in 7 weeks and figured/calculated thy I could loose a stone by then so that was a big mistake on my behalf

Understand where you're coming from it can be disheartening. If you are doing EE then maybe take a look at green and red (original) days to mix things up a bit. Some people find they lose better if they don't do EE all the time, me included. I have found that I overeat the rice pasta beans and potatoes which end up making me feel very bloated so I tend to do more red days. There are some good recent threads about doing this. Your c probably only went through EE but am sure she would be happy to help as they still have these plans in the book. After about a month if your losses are still really slow and you have tried doing the other plans you could consider success express. Also make sure when you do EE that you get as much super speed into your 1/3 super free to help speed your losses up. Lots of people do really well on EE so it may be that you just need a few tweaks. Hope this helps. Good luck

peacelily said:
Oh sorry didn't see that you'd posted about looking at red and green. Think posts may have crossed

thats ok :)... shall def try this and am doing my online shopping now so fingers crossed. I shall cut down on my huge fruit consumption aswell :)
My c did only go thru EE but will read the red/green days. Actually when i done this years ago it was red/green only and done well.
Thanks for the replys

Presuming I loose 0.5lbs loss a week it would take me 84 weeks/20 months to loose 3 stone. Now I consider myself to be patient BUT not that patient lol.

Umm, I'm absolutely sure you didn't mean it, but imagine how it feels as someone who actually HAS been that patient to get a reply like this from someone else that its just not good enough....

On the basis that i'm sure you didn't mean it (and its not always about me anyway :cool:), I am not offended but maybe it would be worth taking a quick look at peoples stats in future before responding cos some people can get very touchy about these types of things! :)

You'll get there eventually, and you are doing the right thing by thinking about how your dieting affects your children as well. Just sitck to the plan and it will work.

I honestly dont expect anything higher then 2 off every week but I did expect more than 3lbs in my first 2 weeks!

But that's the point, I'm afraid you were never going to get a big loss in your first couple of weeks become you've come from a very different place. You come from a diet that has been very limited in calories to normal eating - you're eating a lot more than you were before. So really the fact that you;ve lost anything at all is a minor miracle. Most people would put on under those circumstances. So that in itself is a huge achievement that you should be celebrating :)

PatchworkPuss said:
But that's the point, I'm afraid you were never going to get a big loss in your first couple of weeks become you've come from a very different place. You come from a diet that has been very limited in calories to normal eating - you're eating a lot more than you were before. So really the fact that you;ve lost anything at all is a minor miracle. Most people would put on under those circumstances. So that in itself is a huge achievement that you should be celebrating :)

Well I stopped the VLCD on july 1st. I was going to do it another month but decided not too. So I waited until 25th July whilst having a sensible eating routing during them 25 days... as adviced. Would this still impact the losses? After 4 weeks of eating food after a VLCD?
I can see that I shouldnt be so grumpy about loosing 3lbs now tho :)

Back