Paper food diaries

M-Stew

Hello :)

I'm new here so sorry if there is already a thread for this! I know there is a section where people keep e-food diaries, but I was just wondering how many people keep a paper food diary?

I found the SW ones to be ok for the first week of getting into it, but not great for keeping a longer-term eye on what you're eating, so I bought some little brown Moleskine notepads that are maybe A6 in size, and I use one page per day to track food consumed. I've been using it for about 10 days so far, but I am finding it really useful to see where I haven't had enough to drink one day and I've developed a headache or whatever the next day.

Anyway, just wondering what other people's experiences are :)

Hi M Stew. I write down everything I eat. Find it much easier to stay on plan when I scribble hea, heb and syns down. Its definitely a great way of keeping track of fluids. I also find it useful to make sure im eating enough fruit/veg. I find its harder to cheat when you have to write it down :)

I write down everything in an A6 notebook. At the bottom I put a note for hexA, B and and tally of my Syns so I can see at a glance how many I have had. I I'm being really anal/good I highlight my super free so I can make sure I'm having enough and for quick reference if I'm not sure what I want!

I don't like the SW paper food diaries, I much prefer to write my meals down rather than.the ingredients. It also helps me plan for the week ahead and to make sure I'm getting variety.

I also keep a note of my weekly goal (eg 2lbs) and make a note of my favourite healthy extra measurements and syn values for those days I haven't planned anything for lunch and have to nip to Asda to get something.

I also write in if I'm eating out where I went and what I has so if I end up there again I have a good option that I know is reasonable. I find it strengthens my will power rather than staring at the menu and thinking sod it I'll have the massive burger and chips!

My consultant doesn't encourage us to use food diaries after the first 4 weeks but if it works for you then I think it's a great idea. SW have their tools to help when things go off track but I'd rather have my own tool that stops me from having to use theirs if that makes sense!

Oh that's great! I totally agree that it's much easier to stay on plan if everything is written down - if I'm not making myself accountable, I end up having the odd little thing and thinking "Oh it won't matter, it can only be worth a syn or two" but it all adds up and then I end up having only lost half a pound despite running every day and cycling 6 miles to work 5 days a week! :( hence why I have started using a notebook.

I really don't like the SW food diaries either - I don't find it helpful to write down ingredients as I get distracted trying to remember what meal they constituted. I haven't been making a note of my goals, just my weight that week - I may start doing that but I don't like to set myself weekly goals e.g. lose 3lbs because if I don't reach it and only lose 1lb I just feel crap for days rather than enjoying the fact that I have still lost weight.

I have a section in my Filofax where I write down everything. I did try using MyFitnessPal on my phone for a long time but just got sidetracked because it counts calories!

It's a shame SW haven't developed their app and site better in reflect of food diaries. The online tools are quite poor in comparison to things like my fitness pal which is excellent for most other diets.

Can't have it all though and a pen and paper works fine. I wish their syn search and app worked better though, the search function is pretty poor!

Agreed! I wish their App was more user-friendly, it would be handy to have somewhere to check syn values when out and about. I'm not a big fan of electronic fitness/diet monitors. I did try to keep a food diary on my iPod touch but it didn't work for me. I am much better with pen and paper! The tangibility of a notebook helps me stay motivated - the notebook's sole purpose is to record my eating habits, whereas my phone/iPod is primarily for other things so I don't tend to think of it as something to make me accountable if that makes sense.

Back