Parental Guidance!

Daisybank

Hmmmmmm!
I was chatting with a friend today about childhood memories. We were remembering those phrases and sayings that our parents used which actually made no sense at all! Some of them used so frequently they are etched in my brain. Examples.....

"You'll have someone's eye out if you carry on" - Has that ever happened?

"I'll box your ears" - A show of affection maybe.

"There are children starving" - never quite worked out how me eating my cabbage would help.

"I'll bang your heads together in a minute" - A phrase used supposedly to stop me and my siblings arguing, this would clearly work!

The clean underwear in case you get run over by a bus - this would help because???

"Do you want a smack?" - errrm yes please!

We were told when it was bedtime that "the sandman was coming" - not sure that telling kids that a wierdo is going to come and sprinkle sand in their eyes is the best way to get them to sleep!!

And one of my faves - "You don't know you're born" - WTF, HELLO!!!

Hope it wasn't just me and my mate who have parents with a distorted sense of logic!! Anyone else remember any of these or others? :)

"You don't know you're born" I love this one ...i used this now on my kids hehehe

If you fall off that wall and break your leg dont come running to me !!!! mmmm ever tried running wiv a broken leg !!!!!!!!!!!

'Whats for tea Mum - Bread and lumpit ' - wot the hell is lumpit !!!!!

My fave one has got to be 'If you dont stop crying, ill give u something to cry about'. Like i was going to stop blubbering then lol

Nicci

If you fall off that wall and break your leg dont come running to me !!!! mmmm ever tried running wiv a broken leg !!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant!!

My fave one has got to be 'If you dont stop crying, ill give u something to cry about'. Like i was going to stop blubbering then lol

Nicci

Yeah I remember that one too!!

'Wots for tea Mum - sh*t with sugar on' - now you all know why I have a problem with food !!!!!!!!!!

" Don't make me come up those stairs" was a favorite of my Mums. Usually after bedtime when we were still larking about.

my friend was deprived and told that when the ice cream man played his tune, it meant he had run out of ice cream...bless!

"you'll eat what you're given for dinner. Im not running a hotel here!" Hmmm....and i wonder why im dieting......

'I will show you the back of my hand in a minute'
'Tha dunt lark meat and tha fathas a butcher!'
'I will tan your arse young man'
'ya growing spuds in them ears'
'wait til ya fatha gets home'

" Don't make me come up those stairs" was a favorite of my Mums. Usually after bedtime when we were still larking about.

OMG remember that one too!

Also my mate said her mum told her you should never swallow chewing gum cos it wraps around your heart!! WTF - where does that come from??

oh yeah and what about the classic "eat your crusts they'll make ur hair curly" ????? ive always eaten mine and no curly hair...ive had to bloody teach myself with the GHD's:)

lmao - '5hit wi sugar on'

my mate at work told me is dads favourite saying was " I will come right across your face in a minute" which some what disturbs me! lol its true ha!

my mate at work told me is dads favourite saying was " I will come right across your face in a minute" which some what disturbs me! lol its true ha!

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

"I'll wipe that smile off your face in a minute" - anyone remember that one and why would you??

Back