Parking and the Police advice

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
oh gosh I am really asking for help lately....
Right, outside my house is a narrow road. you can park outside but you would block the road. after that there is a small green, then a parking area, then a road and then some more houses.

You can only park two cars at a time outside my house, if you put more, you would then block each other in.
Now the police knocked yesterday and said that we couldnt park there as it would obstruct a fire engine (now there is no way in the world that a fire engine would fit there). There are no signs that say "no parking" and there isnt any yellow lines. Can the police enforce this.

Not sure on the fire engine thing but I don't think you can park anywhere if you are going to block a road hun.

It's not a really a road. there are six houses with this drive outside. it runs parallel along side the actual road. there is just a small green inbetween us.

They sure can if they believe that an emergency vehicle cant get access. One thing to note though is the police dont randomly chap doors to tell people this so Id say it sounds like theyre doing that in response to a complaint, possibly from the Fire service who will want to ensure they have access to all the properties there

IF the Fire Service do require access and cant get it due to cars, they will plough their way through using whatever means necessary. The Police can also have vehs removed if they believe they are causing any kind of obstruction.

No signage isnt an indication that you can park anywhere Im afraid.

Now that youve officially been made aware of this Id be very hesitant in parking there.

they don't need to put up signs- if they think you are obstructing the highway you can be fined if you don't move.Every car is techically breaking the law if it is parked on a road.The police don't book people as it would cause chaos but if it is causing an obstruction they will act and this includes narrowing the road for emergency service vehicles to pass safely.

Contact the local Fire Department. See what they say?

OOh any excuse to speak to a fireman and i am in.

Was speaking to my next door neighbour and he said that it is in his deeds that you cannot park there.
The main thing that pees me off, is that i live a few doors down from infant school and they all park there when they pick up their kids.

Starlight said:
They sure can if they believe that an emergency vehicle cant get access. One thing to note though is the police dont randomly chap doors to tell people this so Id say it sounds like theyre doing that in response to a complaint, possibly from the Fire service who will want to ensure they have access to all the properties there

IF the Fire Service do require access and cant get it due to cars, they will plough their way through using whatever means necessary. The Police can also have vehs removed if they believe they are causing any kind of obstruction.

No signage isnt an indication that you can park anywhere Im afraid.

Now that youve officially been made aware of this Id be very hesitant in parking there.

I agree with this, i believe someone, a neighbour or otherwise, has complained about your vehicle being parked there. But yes it can be enforced if your vehicle is found there again.

but we all park there. everyone along our bit parks there. we only get a space roughly 4 out 7 days.

Check your deeds/rent contract. If its an obstruction thats all there is to it unfortunately :( If you keep doing it you'll get fined/charged and a no parking sign may well end up there anyway.

Its not up to the fire service. If the police think its an obstruction then you would have to go to court to prove otherwise.

Unfortunately, causing an obstruction in any way is an offence. I'm sure you can find descriptions in the highway code.

Pain in the bum, but it is true. I'd also agree that someone has made a complaint but they could have done so in relation to the parents picking up children from school and not to the residents themselves.

If it was outside my house, I would want signs up as I'd be reluctant to park there after being told not to by police and wouldn't want others parking there if I couldn't. Petty, I know! lol

I appreciate that but the police decide not the fire service. It wouldn't matter if an engine could go through or not-if the police say its an obstruction then it is unless a court decides otherwise.

Back