Pauline Quirke

weasey

Gold Member
She really is an inspiration, but then ..so are you...well done on your huge loss so far.

Thanks for the link Weasey, really interesting to read her side of the story. I was a stone over her highest weight at one point! I'm going to order her book, I usually wait till books like that get in the charity shops but I may pay full price!

I am about a stone over her highest Moosh!

It is good to read things like that though, finally some nice things being said about VLCD's. They've had a bad rep for too long.

I am about a stone over her highest Moosh!

It is good to read things like that though, finally some nice things being said about VLCD's. They've had a bad rep for too long.

Yes, everyone seems to have bad things to say- oh you'll gain the weight back, you'll get ill, you're body won't get enough nutrients and you'll be ill, you can't stick to it..... blah blah. Working thus far!

Really hope she does keep it off, would look great for the image of VLCDs!

What people seem to fail to realise is that regardless of what diet you follow if you go back to old habits the weight is going to come back on.

Once i get the weight off im determined to keep it off as i never want to be 20st anything again. Worst psychological beating for me ever is that.

What people seem to fail to realise is that regardless of what diet you follow if you go back to old habits the weight is going to come back on.

Once i get the weight off im determined to keep it off as i never want to be 20st anything again. Worst psychological beating for me ever is that.

I fully agree, that's why I have a plan and am constantly researching what will be my long-term way of eating. I did do Rosemary Conley which got me from 16st10 to 12st10, but a change in circumstances left me I don't know what weight, probably higher than the start!

I put that in my sig, I will NEVER EVER be over 20st again. I was 19 when I weighed in at a hospital visit and they weighed me twice as they didn't believe the scales!

At my highest i was 23st 10lbs. Was physically sick after that weigh in. Im roughly about 20st 7lbs just now and plan to get to around 10st 10lb.

I dont think anybody understands whats its like to be 20st unless you've been there. I agree everybody had battles with there weight and im not belittleing that or there struggles. Just for me i think seeing that number on the scales is like a huge barrier.

I completely agree!
Let's face it we have all lost weight before with a multitude of different diets and put it all back on again.
The difference with this diet is that it has enabled me to lose so much more weight than I ever dreamed possible so that being "normal" sized and healthy is an aspiration I can now see myself achieving - and in the not too distant future!
I used to post on the SW forum and can remember saying how I wished to get into the 19 stone somethings - that and much more was achieved so quickly with a VLCD. The fast results really do motivate me. Only yesterday I was a bit fed up when in a pub drinking coffee and soda water again when the menu on the table was extolling the virtues of a 3 course roast dinner meal - for a few minutes I though if only I could have that - BUT - of course I didn't and when I got home I was quite happy to have some S&S cottage pie and a bar.
Food will be there for me in a few months time!

Keeping the weight off will I think be much harder than losing it on a VLCD. I think I will be motivated by being a healthy size and weight and being able to wear nice, smaller clothes. I will have thrown away all my bigger clothes so if I start to put on weight I will have to lose a few pounds rather than just buy bigger clothes which is what I used to do!

Also, I plan to eat low fat, probably low carb too during the week and have treats and relax a bit at weekends - although not as I used to with lots of take aways and too much wine!

Hopefully this will mean I maintain. I will also try to do more exercise - something made much easier now that I am not over 21 stone!

Sorry for the rambling post but it just seemed appropriate to voice what I have been thinking - hope I have not bored anyone who has read it lol

All opinions appreciated Lorraine. Maybe if we all pool together we'll come up with something that might help one or two people.

Atm i cant imagine myself anywere near healthy but i am determined to get as close as i can. Once my VLCD journey is over im planning on following PP as i think it'll help me maintain my weight. That way im not cutting anything out at all. Would also like to join a gym at some point in my journey. Cant wait to get back into a swimming pool again.

I agree with you Lorraine..I have noticed that a lot of people criticise vlcd, saying they don't work and the weight will pile back on afterwards. Over the years I've tried every diet known 2 man, and it wasn't that they didn't work..it was because I went back 2 old eating habit's. Yo have 2 change the way you eat for life..or you will regain the weight.

Loser85 said:
All opinions appreciated Lorraine. Maybe if we all pool together we'll come up with something that might help one or two people.

Atm i cant imagine myself anywere near healthy but i am determined to get as close as i can. Once my VLCD journey is over im planning on following PP as i think it'll help me maintain my weight. That way im not cutting anything out at all. Would also like to join a gym at some point in my journey. Cant wait to get back into a swimming pool again.

Just wondering what is pp??

Wow - I'm off the forum for a couple of hours and there are a plethera of comments!

For those of you who asked I have lost 7 stone 3 lbs so far. I started at 19stone 4 lb at the end of July 2011 (2 lb less that Pauline at the start of her LL diet) and I am now 12 stone 1 lb (really hoping to move into the 11 stone something range next weigh in!). I haven't been on SnS all the way through. I am on lighter life but I have been using mainly SnS packs for the last few months because they are much nicer! A few weeks ago I swapped from 4 packs a day to 3 packs and a protein meal. I haven't gone off plan at all during that time except for Christmas day when I had a protein meal (no carbs) instead of my 4 pack (which wasn't allowed on the lighterlife total plan).

At time the weight loss has been so quick that I've had to think to work out what stone level I was at! Never had that before! The lightest I had ever been in my adult life before was 14.5 stone. I have been on a VLCD for 30 weeks now - having a protein meal for the last 2 weeks.

MiniM - If you are going to buy her book you might be interested to know that I have ordered it from Amazon for about £10

lorraine - I agree that maintenance will be hard and we can't go back to doing what we did before. That's one of the reasons why I have recently moved to having a protein meal. It helps me with portion sizes and learning to handle any cravings etc. I'm hoping to lose a few more stone before I do the re-feed.

You have done so well Weasey you should be really proud of your self!
I know what you mean about portion size. I bought one of these diet plates and diet bowls on a groupon deal for when I am eating again after having lost my weight as I thought it may be useful for portion control. It divides up the plate / bowl into protein, carbs, veg / salad etc. Anything that helps is worth a go I think as I am never going to get to the state I was in before starting my vlcd journey!!!!!

That's a really good idea lorraine - I might have a look out for one of those plates.

Another change I have made is that I was vegetarian for well over 20 years before starting the diet and I have made the decision to eat meat/fish now. It's not that a vegetarian diet isn't healthy (because it can be very healthy) but my diet wasn't. The theory is that eating completely differently now will be a very different activity for me than eating before. So I don't go back to eating the same things and in the same volume.

Sounds a good plan weasey.
I am hoping this has taught me to actually appreciate food instead of just shovelling it in! When I think of how many times I have just eaten rubbish for the sake of it and not appreciated it at all.... and all of those times when I have actually felt really uncomfortable because I have stuffed myself with huge portions - there will be none of that anymore as there is absolutely no need for it!

really interesting thread , thanks all

I had a debate the other day , a friend was really down and wanting to lose weight and she said nothing has ever worked for her, i told her what i was doing and how I felt the usual calorie /point counting diets never really worked for me either

A friend of hers butted in and said , oh dont do that , they are dangerous and dont work blah blah blah

anyway after a discussion it transpired that she had done cambridge and lost 9 stone , she then almost delights in telling me that she put it all back on and more besides , which in her eyes proved that they are a complete waste of time

So I pointed out .... "Wow the diet worked then didnt it ? 9 stone , thats amazing , but you then returned to your old eating habits and regained all the weight , so why do you blame the diet ? What made you overweight in the first place will surely make you overweight again "

I often think that the doom mongers dont want to see other people succeed, as it will make them feel like a failure , I also think that often so called "friends " dont want you to be thin as you will make them look fat, its much more difficult to feel happy for someone else when you feel bad about yourself

In my experience, and I hate to generalize but it is my experience , my slim friends are very supportive and my overweight friends are the doom mongers.

Yes, I definitely agree that it's what we all did before that made us all overweight, and I'm sure we all did something slightly different that made us that way. This diet will help us to lose the weight but it won't be to blame if we all go back to what we did before and gain the weight again. Each of us have to change our lifestyles and eating habits in order to maintain the weight that we worked so hard to achieve. And maintenance is where the hard work starts.

This might be very different to other people's views who have said that they'll never do this diet again, but one thing I'm absolutely sure of is that I will be following this VLCD again in some form once I've reached goal. That might be as a kick start to weight loss if I start gaining or after a holiday or whatever, and I hope that using the packs and the protein / veggies will give me an easy kick start to help me maintain my weight. Using the meal packs is in my maintenance plan too as I find them easy and convenient. I certainly do intend to adapt my lifestyle to maintain but there will be times (high days and holidays) where I know that realistically I will put on a bit of weight and need a way of taking it off. Weight will be a constant lifelong battle for me I think as it is for so many people. Compared to LT I find this diet a breeze and am absolutely sure that I could do it for a month (or whatever) to lose any gain. I just don't want to gain more than a half stone or so before I do something about it and this diet will help me I believe.

And weasey, what do you do with all your spare LL packs as I assume that your LL counsellor expects you to buy a week's worth?

Back