pcos questions

slimming-girl

Silver Member
Hi i am hoping someone can help with some questions, i have had diagnosed pcos for over 1 year and so things are still abit sparse with knowledge for me. I managed to regulate my periods with accupuncture and i have a period every 30 days or so, i am currently doing the cambridge diet to obtain an healthy bmi as i plan to ttc at some point and want to give myself the best chance. I have started doing my basal body temepratures again and im hoping to gather idea when i ovulate... my questions how long did it take to concieve ? i know this may seem a silly question but am i having regular periods if they say are 33,26,30,35,30,32,28? im new to ttc and i just feel kind of lost and with pcos as well i wanted advice from people who understood, so far im day 4 of cambridge and have lost 7 pounds so i am very pleased im focusing on the end result which is an healthy fertile body :eek: Thanks x

Hi Slimminggirl -

You've come to the right place - you're not alone with this :)

-on the one hand, pcos people often become pregnant whilst on cambridge (the jury is out about whether that's simply the weight loss improving fertility or whether it gives the body a bit of a jolt - certainly people without pcos often experience a brief shift in periods/hormones too -

-on the other hand, it's not recommended to be on cambridge while you're ttc, pregnant of breast feeding. It's so very important that we get the right amount of nutrients for our bodies in those early days of pregnancy that a VLCD isn't ideal. I've heard people suggest that taking pregnancy vits and minerals at the same time is a good idea, especially for folic acid.. but then, on the other hand, you don't want to over dose on vitamins either.. some can be really unhealthy to have too much of (like vitamin a).. especially when you're pregnant.. so best is to not have both at the same time.......

your periods sound regular enough that you don't need to worry too much, and actually, the best thing you can do for fertility is relax and just enjoy yourself :)

there's good advice all about pcos on Home | Verity - PCOS Charity

most recommended long term healthy eating for pcos is about glycaemic load (GL).. which I'm planning on turning to once I've finished cambridge.

Even with pcos, most women conceive eventually - it just might take six months or a year rather than just a month or two. We've been ttc for three years, but I've been particularly unlucky so don't compare yourself with my circumstances. Understandably it's easy to fear the worst, but the most LIKELY is that you'll fall preggers within the year if you relax and don't get too stressed about it

of course it also depends on other factors like how old you are.. if you're over forty it's going to be a much different story.. but it's all still possible in your mid-late thirties, even with pcos :)

if you're only in your twenties - relax, have fun, and don't even think about risk of infertility :) GPs won't be interested until you've been trying for over a year at very least because healthy young people without pcos can take up to a year to conceive anyway..

good luck and keep us posted! :) And most importantly - have fun trying! and enjoy life for the moment xx

Thank you so much for the reply, I will look into the verity website, I'm 28 this time, yes I will definatley keep you posted :) hopefully we can spur each other on I have looked into the south bech diet because that is based mainly around low gi and helps with regulating blood sugar so I think that will be a step I take once u have completed and moved up the Cambridge steps. My original meeting with my gynea experience was poor I didn't feel like I came away knowing about it. The reply really helps x

Back