Pedometer?

Veggie Dieter

Silver Member
Do the meters actually work or are they just a very rough guide to your steps?

Just wanting to know if anyone would recommend them or not - went for a lovely walk today and it got me thinking about the meters.

Thanks everyone.

Hi. I started using one yesterday. I found myself doing 50 steps just pulling down my trousers to have a wee! I also clocked up a lot sitting on the DLR (it does sway a lot) which is where I am sitting now so I have put the pedometer on pause. I will also pause it at work and switch it on again when I go out at lunchtime and at home time. I think they can only ever be rough and hopefully they have a contingency for false steps.

I bought one yesterday, and you do need to pause them when your just sitting down. I think its great that it wont give you activity points for your steps until you've done a healthy daily amount of steps for your weight, sex and height. I have been tempted to actually count my steps for a little bit to see how accurate it is lol.

I have been tempted to actually count my steps for a little bit to see how accurate it is lol.

Ha ha - that's what I was doing yesterday -pacing round the office and then the train platform. I must have looked like a loon! I think as well keeping looking at it doesn't help because taking it on and off racks up some steps. I have mine now on the lanyard under my top just so I can get at it easier. I don't know why, but pulling something out of my cleavage on the train seems to be better than digging around under my coat near my flies!

It totally depends on the pedometer. I have had 3 over the years.
Some including the one I use now unless you do more than 10 steps in a row it disregards them. Others are very sensitive and will count any movement as steps even moving it to look at it can count.
I currently use "walkmate" which you can download to your phone if you have a phone that will accept it. It is very basic just logs steps and tells you your daily average. It is also one of the disregard if you do 10 steps or less type. So if I am wearing it at home walking from the lounge to the kitchen it doesn't count those steps.
Going upstairs to the loo and it does.
On a long walk it is super accurate. I have counted out 100 steps and the pedometer had increased my step count by 100.

I have a new phone lol. Only ever had very basic phones before. New phone has lots of toys on it, so got to play with them all haven't I?. If I want more detail about my trip I have a gps thing, that tells me speed, calories burned, distance travelled etc. Generally I just have the pedometer going in the background. Turn it on when I get up in the morning turn it off when I go to bed!
It surprises me sometimes how many steps I do in a day:D and sometimes scary how few I have done :eek:

Thanks everyone for your advice. Keep walking!

Back