People trying to put you down for doing a VLCD....Grrrr :(

Leaholl25

I'm soooo annoyed!!! I was so happy with my loss this week, felt really good about myself, and someone has to go and spoil it!!
Here's how it went down....a friend on FB is a personal trainer, and tried to help me lose weight a couple of months ago. She is a lovely girl, and was 15st herself, and has worked really hard to lose the weight with healthy eating and exercise,?
Fair play to her! So, I get a MSG on FB asking how I lost so much weight, so I was honest with her, I've got nothing to hide or be ashamed of. All I got was, "did your dr put you on this diet" and "I just don't want you to feel disheartened WHEN (not if) you put weight back on"
My response was, I'm not stupid and have done my research. I'm getting the rda of vitamins and minerals, and, I'm 28, have a Bmi of over 30 and already have fatty deposits in my liver!!! No, I ain't told my dr about it, cos I don't want to waste an appt tbh. I told my dr the last time i started, before my liver problems, and he just said it wont kill me! But there is obviously a risk of putting the weight back on, and thats the only reason he would discourage it. He knows all the meds im on, so if i was risking my health, im sure he would have said something. Im a trained bloody nurse for Christ sake, so have a little bit of knowledge!!!
So, am I putting my health at risk, will I pile all the weight back on and some, am I being stupid???
Some advice from some experienced people would really help right now!

Sorry about the rant, just can't believe people can be so insensitive, and keep their opinions to themselves :(

My opinion is that you only re-gain the weight you lost if you go back to old habits. Theres nothing stopping you losing weight through a VLCD and then maintaining on a healthy diet and work out. I can totally relate to how you feel as my mum and sister try and talk me out of doing exante even though theyve both done it before (...and given up). I think some times a part of it is that they cant stand to see other people achieve where they have failed. If you have done your research and you are happy to continue on a VLCD then you do that. Sorry your friends being a pain.

Thanks JD. I was so sure about it, but that just shook me up, which has annoyed me even more! I don't care what people think about me or my life choices, I wouldn't go around telling people not to bother with ww or sw etc just do a VLCD, it's about choice. And I have chosen to do this, and I'm not giving up and now I'm even more determined to prove the doubters wrong!!!

Ok, ok, I'll chill now, lol ;)

Hey!

First of all I would like to say WELL DONE YOU! :)

As JD89 said, if you slip back into old habits, thats when the weight creeps back on... But for this person to say this to you, adamant that you are going to fail.... is BS!!!
Everyone, even if they are on some miraculous diet created by the gods that are doctors, people can slip back into old habits. Even people who get bariatric surgery..
HOWEVER, you seem super determined to get to your goal and stay there. And so what if you are doing VLCD, the point is, you're going to get to the same place that people doing any other diet out there.
Personal trainers annoy the pants off me. I was given out to the other day for being on weight watchers. Was told the Paleo diet was the way to go.
Because you know, Paleolithic people had treadmills and tv's to look at in the gym while they were on their paleo diet.
....Ranty Tangent much??

I'm so glad for you that you stuck up for yourself and what is working for you. The best of luck with your weight loss and of course you're new job. You'll be twice as fabulous in no time

Lol Lemai!!! I feel better already, this site is so good for supporting people, whatever diet they choose.x.

Hey Leaholl,

I think I have read that you will put back all the weight lost on vlcd like a million times over the yearss, so many are programmed to believe that and that in itself can cause self sabotage, as when we eat something not on the diet (read slip ups) we tend to gain a little and then the programming kicks in and we give up on ourself.

I personally would not have been able to carry on if not for all the encouragement and success stories on this sitee. I only took the plunge once I realised its not any particular diet that will effect weight gain after and also we have to figure out what will and wont work for us to maintain it the loss forever.

Well Done on dealing with that situationn!! Keep going, we are all in it together :) xxxx

If we could all lose weight through healthy eating and exercise we would have done it by now. The truth is not all of us can, either because we lose interest when we're only losing half a pound a week, or we can't sustain the exercise or whatever. Why do people think they know so much better than us? This diet works for people in a variety of ways, and if we're determined to keep it off, we damn well will. Ooh, I'm angry on your behalf!!

well done on the weight loss its ur body ur life dont let any1 get u down u had afantastic first week u keep it up xx

Thanks for all the support and opinions guys! I'm ok now, I think I just saw it as criticism and negativity and saw red :(
I understand that people won't understand my choice of diet, and that's fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Just gonna carry on doing what I'm doing, and enjoy people's faces when I'm my old self again ;)
Much love
Xxx

Extend the arm and unleash the finger! I had a friend who lost huge amounts of weight , at this time I was quite slim , we both worked in theatre together for ages and saw day in day out health issues with obesity, she did sw and sometimes ww and sometimes scoffing her face after a good night out then starving herself the following day. Everyone encouraged her to get to her goal weight and she did, she became so so confidant which was brill for her . So after I had my first child I needed to lose weight , and guess what she was so mean, told me not to bother as my body shape had changed and now that I had my son I should relax and enjoy food. I went to lighter life and she said it was the worst thing I could do, I fell pregnant soon after and she seemed glad that my weight was on the up. So what I'm saying is some people like to keep their mates fat for some reason. I just put it down to her insecurities.
This vlcd is a good way to re think our emotions about food, look at me at the beginning of week I didn't know who I was without my nighttime routine of food, and now on third day only, I have learnt I like bath and a read nearly the same but getting there. At the end of this journey I hope to have re learnt how to deal with food and not put weight back on.

Keep going Leah , you have made me determined after seeing your weight loss xxxx

Last edited:
Keep up the good work you're doing great!

Extend the arm and unleash the finger! I had a friend who lost huge amounts of weight , at this time I was quite slim , we both worked in theatre together for ages and saw day in day out health issues with obesity, she did sw and sometimes ww and sometimes scoffing her face after a good night out then starving herself the following day. Everyone encouraged her to get to her goal weight and she did, she became so so confidant which was brill for her . So after I had my first child I needed to lose weight , and guess what she was so mean, told me not to bother as my body shape had changed and now that I had my son I should relax and enjoy food. I went to lighter life and she said it was the worst thing I could do, I fell pregnant soon after and she seemed glad that my weight was on the up. So what I'm saying is some people like to keep their mates fat for some reason. I just put it down to her insecurities.
This vlcd is a good way to re think our emotions about food, look at me at the beginning of week I didn't know who I was without my nighttime routine of food, and now on third day only, I have learnt I like bath and a read nearly the same but getting there. At the end of this journey I hope to have re learnt how to deal with food and not put weight back on.

Keep going Leah , you have made me determined after seeing your weight loss xxxx

I can definitely relate to you here. Its not nice knowing that your mates are wishing you were the fat one of the group. Or people saying "youve lost enough". Aggrivating much!

Hope the diet goes well for you

Well done. I am new to exante...day 1 today...and new to the forum. If I lose what you have in my first week I will be over the moon. I haven't told many people what I am doing as although I am ready for the diet, I am not ready for people's opinions of it. I have got lots of hurdles to get over before I can seriously consider announcing to the world what I am doing. I have been scuppered in the past because I have listened to what others have said and have purposely gone on a sabotage mission! As for the weight gain afterwards - i have gained weight after ALL of the diets I have tried, I am trying this method as I need to change my relationship with food completely. All I keep telling myself is I need the nutrition not the food therefore I am not missing out on anything. I too am a trained nurse so i am very aware of the damage I am doing to myself by doing absolutely nothing and like every one of us who are currently trying to lose weight, I know what I am supposed to do, it's the doing that is difficult.

Anyway, I just thought my first post would be in response to you as what you said really struck a chord with me.

Looks like I'm not the only one, lol!
I see to work in theatres aswell, and saw many patients with health conditions caused by obesity, but I was a skinny Minnie then, and I just didn't get why people didn't just lose the weight! Now, it's me that's obese, and I totally get it....
But, I'm in control of my body, we all are. I'm so happy about all the positive replies to this thread!
We can do it people, let's show the doubters how it's done ;)

hey, in my humble opinion no matter how you lose weight its hard to keep it off, whether you do VLCD and lose it quick or do it over years if your like me you easily put the pounds on so its a constant struggle, none of us are stupid we know it will be hard when we reach goal not to go back to bad habits but with the support from people on here, friends and family who encourage us we can keep it off.
Personally i lost a lot of weight when i was in my early twenties through slimming world but it took me 2 years, i got over comfortable with a ex bf and ended up putting it all back on, we have all been there, so whatever diet you do its a massive achievement. If we all thought we would put the weight back on then we would never diet!
Ive not told many people about my diet, those that ask i have and they come back with 'what happens when you start eating normally?' but to keep it off i wont go back to eating as i did (chips, chocolate, etc) ill eat healthy as exante suggests unless they invent a pill that can shrink me and make calories non existent :) i live in hope x

The only way to keep weight off is to change your habits for good. That's obvious to everyone.

The reason people who reach goal on slimming world or weight watchers are more likely to maintain (statistically) is because they reach goal as a result of changing their habits. There are a lot of people who try and fail because they return to old habits. It just means the big stumbling block (new habits) happens before weight loss on traditional diets.

On this, the habit battle starts after we've lost weight. Some will regain straight away, some will over time and some never will. The only person who decides which category you fall into, is you.

Sometimes I think the best approach with negative people is 'thank you for your concern, I've done my research and made up my mind, and don't intend to waste time defending myself to anyone.' that's put them on the defensive right away, then hopefully they'll realise how accusatory and judgemental they are being.

I told a friend of mine once about my boufriend's brother losing weight with diet pills. She just said 'not good' without asking for any more information. People are SO quick to decide what's best for our own bodies. It quite frankly drives me insane.

It is so frustrating when people think it is so simple to lose weight "just eat a healthy balanced diet" oh and "just move around a bit more" because it is that easy! I think these people think that because I am overweight I must be greedy and lazy and eat chocolate for every meal of the day!

I work full time, have an hour and a half of driving to get to and from work and a four year old son to ferry around and look after at home. I leave the house at 7.15am and get home about 5.15pm 5 days a week. I spend a couple of hours with my son, put him to bed and then come 8pm I finally sit down. My husband works 12 hour shifts alternating between days and nights. I spend my weekends catching up on housework and trying to spend some quality time with my son. I don't think I'm lazy, I just don't get the time that other people might have to exercise and plan my meals.

Maybe once my son starts school and he is eating at home in the evenings, it will encourage me to think more about meal planning and it will be nice to sit down together every night to eat. But until then, I have 5 stone to lose and this diet is great for me. I don't have to think about what I'm eating, it is quick to prepare and it works with the half hour walk I squeeze into my lunch break.

After 2 weeks on this diet I am certain my habits will be changing. I have realised how often I used to turn to food as a comfort blanket and not because I am hungry. So many times, especially in the evenings if i'm alone and bored I find myself at the fridge or food cupboards. Since starting exante I have looked, thought I'm not actually hungry and can't have anything anyway and walked away. Before exante I would fill my face with whatever was to hand. Just because it was there.

My point is that everyone has different issues with food. Therefore, it takes different approaches to find the solution. Some people just don't understand that. I admit I have not shouted from the roof tops to everyone that I have started exante. Not because I don't think I should be doing it but because I know the negative reaction I will get from some people. I have told the people that matter. Those that support me no matter what.

Rant over, thanks for listening!! Xxx

Agree with every word of that!

If you're on WW or SW you will substitute your boredom and comfort eating choices for something healthier. On this, you learn other ways of self comfort. That's infinitely more beneficial.

When I get to target, I am currently on 3 shakes and a meal of 200 cals. I will be very slowly increasing my food intake over a few months to see how many cals and carbs my body likes to just maintain. So as long as you keep an eye on your intake you will be fine. A lot of people put weight back on but you can say that about any diet, how many people do we know who have yo yo dietyorker yrs, you will be fine. Don't worry what other people say. Use it as a strength to succeed and reach your goals, good luck.

Back