Period problems :-(

Emilys

Hi everyone,

I know that periods can be affected when on a VLCD but just wanted to hear other peoples experiences and when they started to level out.

I started the cambridge diet just over 2 weeks ago. I've lost 11lbs and have switched over to Slim and Save today. I'm on the mini pill and don't have periods but since I started the diet 2 weeks ago I had constant spotting and have had a period for the last week. It's really getting me down as the cramps and everything that goes with it (spots,greasy hair,emotional etc) is horrible. My periods were always light or non existent so I don't know why they are so bad. I also used to be anaemic so I don't want this to carry on much longer but i'm desperate not to come off VLCD until i've reached my goal. Any tips on what I can do would be VERY much appreciated - just feeling a bit emotional tonight.

I suspect the mechanism is reducing fat & giving a hormone surge because of that or you weren't having regular periods before as you were along a PCOS spectrum which is also resolving with fat loss - both should settle.

If it's a nightmare and there wasn't a reason why you weren't on a combined pill then switching to that might override things.
Or there are medications to ease pain or flow if it's especially heavy (tranexamic acid) and you're worried about anaemia again - can also try to up your iron containing things if you're having a meal (green leafy veg, meat).
(A doctor might want to make sure you're uptodate with smear or do other tests rather than just blaming it on the diet though.)

My cycle has got a bit shorter (I suspect the PCOS spectrum thing) but no breakthrough bleeding, luckily.

I'm post menopausal - and have had a couple of patches nof PMT type feelings - no spotting. i think that hormones must have been laid down in my fat - so i think you have experienced a hormonal response. It's worth talking to your doc - if they know about vlcds and supportive of your diet just to check it out.

Hope you feel better soon

You are not alone. My periods usually only last 5 days...this one has lasted a full week. I guess it is just our bodies adjusting the weight loss.

I don't normally have periods, but the cramps, as I have the coil. Though today on my third day of S&S I've had spotting and I'm very crampy.

Back