Period problems

1978Emma

Hi, sorry I wasn't sure where else to post this comment, my gp thinks I may have PCOS but I haven't been sent for any tests or what have you as of yet as last time I went to see her I was also there for help with sleep apnea and so all the focus was put on that as she felt it was more important to get a hosp app to sort that first.

Anyway to cut a long story short, for years I have had hardly any periods but when they do come my god they are painful, it doesn't feel like say normal period pain that I used to experience when younger which was bad enough, I literally am in agony especially for the first number of a days. Anyway I started my new healthy eating plan just over nine weeks ago and in this time I have lost 2 stone 5 lbs and now suddenly my periods are coming back the thing is though whilst I was hoping to get more regular periods as I was hardly having any before, now I am getting too many in my opinion, I came on my period on Wed this week yet my last one only stopped just around a week ago, the pain is dire, I am so bloated and generally feel awful. I have terrible mood swings as it is and at these times of course they get so much worse, my rage is beyond belief!.

Any advice? or any info on how I go about finding out if its PCOS? or what can be done to help things, thanks for your time, Emma x

Hi 1978Emma. I hope your hp has helped you to sort out your sleep apnea.

My Gp diagnosed me with PCOS about 4 years ago now. The diagnosis was based on blood tests to look at hormone levels followed by an ultrasound scan of my pelvis to check for presence of larger than usual ovarian cysts.
I'm now trying to follow slimming world and would like to lose 2 to 3 stones to try and help relieve the symptoms of PCOS.

The only way you will get a diagnosis is through your gp. Well done on your weight loss so far, you are doing the right thing to help your symptoms and you're doing really well. It is interesting that you mentioned your periods have become almost too frequent as a similar thing has happened to me at the moment and I have lost almost a stone now.
Had anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Hiya hon, as echoshell said you will need to go back to your GP and have them refer you to a gynaecologist, the gynae consultant will order blood tests and send you for an ultrasound to diagnose you. It does sound like PCOS though hun and by losing the weight you are helping yourself big time where PCOS is concerned. If you do get diagnosed with it, I would recommend looking into having a Mirena coil fitted. It releases hormones regularly and ever since I had it fitted I have not had a period. It can work wonders but it might not be for you. I hope this helps, good luck hun! :)

thanks for your replies echoshell and welshswan, luckily I have managed to get rid of the sleep apnea now due to losing 2 stone 7 lbs in the last ten weeks, that is at least one thing I haven't got to think about now - hurrah! I think being given that horrible breathing mask for nights worked as shock therapy for me and gave me the very big kick up the backside I needed! ha ha

Yeah the period issues are dire, its weird to go from hardly any to more than what would be deemed normal and the pain is so bad, I feel crippled over with it at times. I think I will go back to my gp and see if now the sleep apnea is sorted whether I can have tests for this PCOS just to see whether or not it is, always best to know what you are dealing with.I have quite thin hair on top of my head as well which I have heard can be a symptom, it really doesn't do much for my confidence especially when people love to point it out arghhh

I feel so silly but I was worried about what the tests involved as I was raped you see a while back and I find any examinations down there very difficult , smear tests are bad enough and agony as I tense up so much due to my history so think that is why I have put off looking into this just in case they have to do lots of stuff down there!

Em xx

thanks for your replies echoshell and welshswan, luckily I have managed to get rid of the sleep apnea now due to losing 2 stone 7 lbs in the last ten weeks, that is at least one thing I haven't got to think about now - hurrah! I think being given that horrible breathing mask for nights worked as shock therapy for me and gave me the very big kick up the backside I needed! ha ha

Yeah the period issues are dire, its weird to go from hardly any to more than what would be deemed normal and the pain is so bad, I feel crippled over with it at times. I think I will go back to my gp and see if now the sleep apnea is sorted whether I can have tests for this PCOS just to see whether or not it is, always best to know what you are dealing with.I have quite thin hair on top of my head as well which I have heard can be a symptom, it really doesn't do much for my confidence especially when people love to point it out arghhh

I feel so silly but I was worried about what the tests involved as I was raped you see a while back and I find any examinations down there very difficult , smear tests are bad enough and agony as I tense up so much due to my history so think that is why I have put off looking into this just in case they have to do lots of stuff down there!

Em xx

Aw hun *hugs*. As long as you drink plenty of water before your ultrasound you will not need an internal exam to diagnose PCOS, I didn't drink enough before mine and they wanted me to have an internal scan but I refused and they allowed me to wait around and fill up my bladder with water. Even with the coil, if they mention that as an option, I had that done under general anaesthetic so you are not aware of what is going on, I couldn't have done it without to be honest.

Well done on the weight loss hun and keep going! Let us know how you get on xo

Both me and my sis have PCOS, i have no periods with mine (say about 1-2 a year) and my sis has constant periods like yourself and she is a very healthy weight. It effects everyone differently. Have you tired going into a contraception?

The tests for PCOS are that intrusive, i had lots of blood tests and an internal ultrasound which was more uncomfortable then anything, and the same with my sis too.

Hope everything works out for you and congrats on the weight loss :) x x

thanks welsh swan, I will def drink loads then if going for the test, anything to try and avoid an internal exam, I am going to see my female gp and ask about this as she did mention before she thinks I have it so it would be worth looking into further I feel.

Thanks sammi.alice, yeah I am going to ask my gp re say the pill , my only concern is that she might not put me on it as two people in my family inc my sister have suffered with a pulmonary embolism and so I will have to see what she says.

Its weird how the same condition can effect people so differently hey, better to know I guess once and for all! Em xx

thanks welsh swan, I will def drink loads then if going for the test, anything to try and avoid an internal exam, I am going to see my female gp and ask about this as she did mention before she thinks I have it so it would be worth looking into further I feel.

Thanks sammi.alice, yeah I am going to ask my gp re say the pill , my only concern is that she might not put me on it as two people in my family inc my sister have suffered with a pulmonary embolism and so I will have to see what she says.

Its weird how the same condition can effect people so differently hey, better to know I guess once and for all! Em xx

No problem hun, I hope it all goes well for you, I know how you feel :) Good luck and keep going with the fantastic weight loss, that will only help improve things if it is indeed PCOS. :)

thanks welshswan, Em xx

Back