periods/weight loss

hiya,
quick question, may sound silly but for the last year or so at my heaviest my periods more or less stopped, and since dropping my 1st stone, i have had my first period woo hoo!!
but i was just wondering why weight affects them?
but not complaining, means when hubbys back from afhgan lots of baby dancing :D x

the same thing happens to me when i lose weight they seem to regulate a bit i think it is because the excess weight causes your hormones to go out of whack and when you lose some thye start to go back to normal i hope that made sense :)

hi, well done on losing your 1st!!

When i had a gynae appointment a couple of weeks ago she told me that losing weight is the biggest thing you can do 2 regulate periods/ovulation. Apparently the fat cells in your body can produce testosterone (male hormones) and can cause excess eostrogen (sp?) or progesterone (1 of the female hormones, not sure which 1 but its the 1 that stops 1 of your eggs from becoming mature and being released) which means they all become oversized n there is never 1 dominant 1 so they all end up forming cysts.

I think thats right ha ha, thats the way i understood it anyway, so the less fat cells you have, the more balanced your hormones will be!!

Hope i've not just confused you more lol xxx

I'm the same. Been on the SW diet for two weeks this time (I have PCOS) and I've just got my period. I have a coil fitted so I never get periods. The only other time I got them was when I was on SW last time too.

thanks for all your replys, i seen my doctor today for my monthly check-up due to taking xenical, i have lost 2 stone since starting my diet beginning of april :) although not had a second period as yet but with hubby been away in afghan till oct/nov im not too worried, but also my bloods for hormones n stuff came back, and from the results it doesnt look as though it is pcos which means technically there is nothing stopping me getting pregnant,, apart from the obvious.. no periods lol,, so im praying now the weight is coming off they will return properly!
if not she will review in a couple of months with more bloods for pcos and scans and if anything does show up she has said she will start me on treatment for fertility, clomid i think! so fingers crossed everything happens, but alot less stressed knowing if the loss of weight doesnt work i will get a kick start... so hopefully i will have a BFP for xmas 2010!! :D hope everything is going well for all of you and thanks for listening to me moan xxx

I know exactly the weight where my pcos spirals out of control - 13 stone. Weighing less certainly makes a difference for me. I'm not ttc but all the other symptoms are better.
Good luck x

Back