Pet Insurance

Elle86

Hey everyone, looking for a bit of advice...my and my OH are getting a shih tzu puppy in the next few weeks when he's ready. And Im looking for help on the best company to go with for pet insurance, preferably a one where you don't have to settle the bill before they pay out, I know there are a few where you just fill a form in and they see to the rest, but which ones?

Im just trying to get organised for the little ones arrival :)

Also, can I have your experiences/info of this specific breed so I know what to expect etc.

Thanks in advance :) x

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using MiniMins

I can't answer any of your questions, but thought I'd just add, when looking for pet insurance make sure it has lifetime cover, that way if your pet has a longterm illness you know you'll be covered for the life of your pet and not just for a specific monetary amount.

Happy Holidays said:
I can't answer any of your questions, but thought I'd just add, when looking for pet insurance make sure it has lifetime cover, that way if your pet has a longterm illness you know you'll be covered for the life of your pet and not just for a specific monetary amount.

Thanks a lot, Id never of thought of that, thanks for letting me know :)

Also check if the insurance covers mouth illnesses and dental. We had a little 'discussion' with one insurance as our dog had a tumour in the mouth and they nearly didn't pay out as it could be classed as dental! It wasn't and we did get it back in the end but the last thing you want to hear when dealing with results, treatment and costs rising!!! Pet plan is very good, recommended by our vets, a little more than previous one but hopefully worth it! :)

curlywurly21 said:
Also check if the insurance covers mouth illnesses and dental. We had a little 'discussion' with one insurance as our dog had a tumour in the mouth and they nearly didn't pay out as it could be classed as dental! It wasn't and we did get it back in the end but the last thing you want to hear when dealing with results, treatment and costs rising!!! Pet plan is very good, recommended by our vets, a little more than previous one but hopefully worth it! :)

Thanks a lot, I'll bare this in mind :)

we've got petplan through the vet. The vet sorts out all the paperwork and you just pay the excess. Before now we have had 'more than' which was good, but as you say we had to pay out first and claim back later. Go to your vet and see what they offer

W have Lifetime Cover for the Cat and Dog with Healthy Pets. Can't fault them. They settle the bill so you don't have to worry about it and you can chose what level of cover you want etc.

PetPlan Lifetime...

We have PetPlan Lifetime insurance for our dog & cat ~ as previously said, Lifetime is brilliant because there are no exclusions if your pet has a continuous condition from one year to the next. A little more expensive, but ours has paid for itself in vet fees....and most vets trust PetPlan as they rarely don't pay out. They are renowned for being a brilliant co. and our vet ( & most others) have PetPlan forms in the surgery so we don't have to pay upfront ( apart from any excess), which has been especially good as our dog had a leg op costing £1,000 + and an endoscopy costing £800.
I wouldn't choose any other company in the future. :)

Thanks for your advice, in the end we went with cover4pets, as we've we use vets4pets and they're in partnership with them so it should be straight forward, not the cheapest but they seemed reasonable and convenient.

At first I was going to go with PetPlan, as they offered lifetime cover. But then I switched to Marks & Spence, as they also offered lifetime. But then in a dog magazine, I read how some newcomers to the pet insurance world suddenly left, leaving owners with elderly pets with big vet bills that they struggled with. It underscored that you want to know that if your insurance is for your pet's life, that the company will be around for your pet's life!
I am back with PetPlan now and feel assured they will be there if I need them.

The best bit of advice is to make sure you take out a policy which has 'cover for life' and read the small print.... Some of the newer companies claim to cover for life but there are some severe limitations.

Petplan are by far the best but they are more expensive.

Do not necessarily go for a company because others have said it settles the bills direct with the vet. Most insurance companies will do this it is the vets that do not always agree. None of the vets i have used will settle with the insurance companies due to being conned out of lots of money by dishonest customers.

In my opinion, there is little point paying for an insurance that doesn't cover for life. You are better putting that money in a savings account.

Petplan are excellent but expensive. We went with Direct Line in the end - they are good too and a little cheaper.

I insure my cat with Petplan - they cover for life, and settle directly with the vet. Had Big Dave (my cat) in with a urinary blockage and they provided the costs with no hassle.

I use pet plan for my cats and horse. They have a good reputation but luckily I've not had to use them yet.

Back