petition against starving dog as art

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Dancing, 8 April 2008 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Hi allthis is a very serious matter...​

In the 2007, the 'artist' Guillermo Vargas Habacuc, took a dog from the street, he tied him to a rope in an art gallery, starving him to death. For several days, the 'artist' and the visitors of the exhibition have watched emotionless the shameful 'masterpiece' based on the dog's agony, until eventually he died[​IMG] [/font]​

[FONT='Verdana', 'sans-serif'][​IMG] [/font]​

[FONT='Verdana', 'sans-serif'][​IMG][/font]​

[FONT='Verdana', 'sans-serif']​
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [/font]​

But this is not all... the prestigious Visual Arts Biennial of the Central American decided that the 'installation' was actually art, so that Guillermo Vargas Habacuc has been invited to repeat his cruel action for the biennial of 2008.

Petition

<http://www.petitiononline.com/13031953/petition.html>or just copy it in your browser to sign a petion to stop him to do it again, then digit the name Guillermo Vargas Habacuc to find the petition to sign
    It's free of charge, there is no need to register, and it will only take 1 minute to save the life of an innocent creature.

Please also send this e-mail to as many contact as you can... Let's stop him

If you want to double check all the above informations you can google the name of the 'artist' to see all I have just said corresponds to truth,

Last edited: 8 April 2008
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

4. kellymundy

kellymundy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    God thats awful!!! I love art, I feel it's supposed to express the beautful things in the world...this is non-art in my eyes. It's totally discusting and I can't believe that in todays society this will ever be allowed to happen.

5. Mrs B

Mrs B Silver Member

Start Weight:
    24st1.7lb
    Current Weight:
    23st1.1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0.6lb(4.32%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    Signed

6. kellymundy

kellymundy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hope you don't mind dancing but I've posted this on gumtree.com so it will hopefully boost the signitures by quite a bit.

7. letmeout

letmeout Silver Member

Start Weight:
    24st4lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    12st7lb(51.47%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    How horrible-will go and sign now.
    Have you thought about getting a dog instead of a kitty Dancing? I had a cat but she got run over-now I have a wee girl doggie who is a very loving friend and a great weight loss tool. She so loves her walks. Now I'm not so fat she actually gets them too !
    Was so upset when my cat died I said I wouldn't have another because they stray - she was lovely.

8. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I'm definitely a cat lover ... I like dogs but I am not tolerant of their neediness. Cat's suit my personality :)

9. shinyhappyperson

shinyhappyperson Silver Member

How can murder (by slow death) be art?

In the words of Morrisey - "It's death for no reason and death for no reason is murder".

He should go to prison, not be praised as an artist!

Signed.

10. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

brilliant idea.

I can't believe that this is true.

11. Frejja

Frejja Silver Member

That guy is disgusting and how can this happen? I've signed and passed on to all my friends.

12. blue_grapefruit

blue_grapefruit Gold Member

Hmm, this story has been around a while. I was sent the link and had to look into it - it has a lot of "rumours" around it and it made me sick to see.

As an active animal rights member (yes yes so i do genetics in cardiff uni which is full of test animals..... buttheres a reason i'm not doing a lab project or a phd :)) but this story isnt strictly true.

It was an illusion.

March 22, 2008

Starving dog exhibit reported as a hoax

The story of a dog being starved to death as part of an art exhibition appears to have been falsely reported by Costa Rican newspaper The Nation, according to new sources. I reported the appalling story here last week among global outrage about the exhibit and a reported invitation to repeat the work elsewhere.

[​IMG]It has now emerged, however, that artist Guillermo Habacuc Vargas intended the work to be a stunt to show how a starving dog suddenly becomes the centre of attention when it is in a gallery, but not when it is on the street. The work was intended to expose people for what they really are - "hyprocritical sheep". He said that in order for the work to be valid, he and the gallery had to give the impression that the dog was genuinely starving to death and that it died.

Juanita Bermúdez, director of the Codex Gallery, stated that he would not have allowed the dog to be mistreated, that it ate and drank regularly, and that it was allowed to escape back to the streets from where it was taken at the end of the exhibit. "It is conceptual art and a work that leaves a social message", he said.

[​IMG]The stunt provoked massive outrage on a global scale, and over a million people have signed an online petition to try and prevent another dog being starved to death in a repeat of the exhibit. Unconfirmed reports say that the artist even received death threats and, judging by the vehement anger I've seen in response to this story, that would not suprise me.

The strange thing is perhaps how you react knowing now that this was a hoax. I suspect, like me, you still feel angry, perhaps that it's sick, and that your initial reaction was totally justified. But though I may not agree with his shocking methods whatsoever, I have to admire Guillermo Habacuc Vargas' ability to inspire such a reaction and, in that sense, didn't he achieve what he set out to do? Whether it qualifies as 'art', conceptual or not, is a totally different matter...

Visit www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk

13. blue_grapefruit

Thats just one out of many reports on the truth behond the rumours xx

14. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

fair enough . i'm relieved. When I googled it came up with stuff confirming the story. Thanks BG.

PHew

15. blue_grapefruit

No problem :)

Did you ever see that kitten in a jar report? That actually made me sick all over my keyboard - tmi maybe but it was all a hoax :)

16. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

nope ... perhaps best I didn't

17. shinyhappyperson

shinyhappyperson Silver Member

I have just sent the link to the petition to everyone in my address book ... more signatures will hopefully mean no-one else gets such a sick idea.

Excuse my French, but I reckon Juanita Bermúdez is a complete "bronleur" who should not use animals to boost his fame!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. blue_grapefruit

Did you just totally ignore my post?

Its a hoax.

20. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I'll change the thread title

21. Mrs B

Mrs B Silver Member

Start Weight:
    24st1.7lb
    Current Weight:
    23st1.1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0.6lb(4.32%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    I tried Google and didn't find anything like this either Leah. My problem is it can't be proved they let the dog go - after all surely you'd want evidence you hadn't actually starved a dog to death.

Still don't know what to think about this one.

Either way has it actually improved the lot of other strays?

22. kellymundy

kellymundy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I still think it's sick to give the impression that he is starving a dog to death purely for art! What crosses the minds of people like this...he needs to see a shrink!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.