Phase Two

BettyMae

Hi, there.

I'm Bethan, 19 years old, and on a weight-loss and healthy eating journey.

I fell ill over the Christmas period of 2013 with Sinusitis; poor eating habits, little to no exercise, stress over university interviews, and lack of sleep had finally caught up with me. I weighed 221lbs - 100kg - 15 stone 10lbs. I had not long turned 17. I lost over a stone in a matter of weeks.

My sister turned vegan earlier that year, and after a series of changes to her eating habits and lifestyle, she has since lost over 6 stone. She has been an inspiration and a driving force for me for a long while - not that she knows! - and earlier this week was admitted to hospital for an abdominoplasty procedure (aka 'tummy tuck'). She goes to the gym almost every day, and is on a mission to finally achieve the toned, muscled body shape that she so deserves. "No pain, no gain" is a motto that we do no toss about freely in my house!

Since that Christmas, I hit my lowest weight of 167lbs - 75.7kg - 11 stone 13 lbs, a few weeks into my first term at university. This was sometime during the September of 2014. A loss of two stone was through a combination of illness and the joining of a new gym (which I finally had access to after passing my driving test), and another 2 and a half achieved from joining Slimming World with my mum and a lot of exercise. Since September, my weight and my body changes have been a constant on my mind. I was still going to the university gym five days a week when I could, and eating as well as I could. But not counting syns, personal issues, too-easy weight gain, a holiday to Thailand, and food binges when I came home during the holidays has all pushed me back to the 13 stone region. I stopped going to Slimming World when making it to the classes became difficult and I no longer had my mum to be my partner and competition. I was an uncomfortable size 18 before I started losing weight, and now I'm a 12 that's been getting a little tighter.

I've been back on my Slimming World diet (though not actually re-subscribed to the business) since I returned from Prague two weeks ago, and have set my 'Weigh Day' to Sunday. I've lost 4lbs. The most infuriating thing about having put weight back on is knowing that Slimming World justworks. It always has for me - it's easy, simple, and it gives me the results I want. So why didn't I just stick to it always?

My dedication to exercise, however, has not halted. I stopped going to the gym some weeks ago, but only because running has since become my preferred method of exercise. On the 31st May, I'm due to race a Bristol 10K run. I run every other day, varying between 5 and 10K distances with relative ease, and I'd like to run a half marathon at the end of this year. Before September I struggled to run 3K. Silver linings!

So, what's with the diary?

I like seeing what I've eaten written out in front of me. I like having to post it somewhere where there's no hiding and you can't fudge things - my syns, first and foremost. I'm hoping this diary will keep me on the straight-and-narrow while I strive to reach my goals. I'm hoping that anyone who might read this won't mind my tendency to ramble and use of this thread as a literal diary. Food, emotions, lifestyles, etc. - it all goes hand in hand, and one thing can alter and have a domino effect on the rest.

Here's to weight loss and continued success!

Bethan x

Height: 5ft 8inches
Start Weight: 100kg
"Phase One" Lowest Weight:
75.7kg
Current Weight:
82.7 kg
Goal Weight:
60kg

4th May 2015

4th May 2015 ('May the Fourth be with you!')

Breakfast:

• 2 x Wholegrain toast (HEXB)
  • 1tsp peanut butter - 1.5 syns
  • 1tsp jam - 0.5 syns
  • 1 banana
  • 1 Muller light 'Raspberry and Strawberry'
Lunch:

• Bowl of Thai Jasmine rice w/ dark soya sauce
  • 1 banana
  • Handful grapes
  • 1 apple
  • 1 Muller light 'Strawberry Goodies' - 2.5 syns
Dinner:

• 'Numbing and Hot Chicken' (Fuchsia Dunlop, 'Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook') - 1 syn (sesame oil and potato flour)
  • Stir-fried vegetables
  • Bowl of Thai Jasmine rice
Snacks:

• 7 x Mikado - 3.5 syns
  • 25g Tyrell's Sweet & Salty popcorn - 6 syns
Syns: 15

Exercise: 5k run

Last edited:
Hello Betty, I'm here to follow your diary.

I really like the idea behind SW and always think about giving it a try, but most of the food on their lists are not available outside UK, which makes things a bit difficult for me.

Even so, I'd like to see your meals and perhaps get some inspiration for my calorie counting diet :)

Hi Letzes! Welcome, hello, and thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that SW is out of bounds for you in Belgium, but so long as your diet is going well for you, that's all that matters. I almost always eat non-brand ingredients (other than perhaps yoghurts?) which I expect can be sourced in any supermarket in Europe. If you ever think of joining SW or following the plan, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Either way, I hope my meals are inspiring to you, and wish you the best of luck on your diet! x

5th May 2015

5th May 2015

Breakfast:

• 2 x Wholegrain toast (HEXB)
  • 2tsp peanut butter - 3 syns
  • 1 banana
  • Cinnamon mung bean porridge w/ honey and almond milk (HEXA) - 1 syn
Lunch:

• Stir-fried vegetables w/ prawns + rice - 1 syn (0.5 tsp sesame oil)
stir_fried_rice_w_prawns.jpg

• Rice pudding (rice, vanilla yoghurt, vanilla essence) - 1 syn (strawberry jam)
Dinner:

• Slimming World Bolognese w/ wholewheat pasta and salad
  • 1 mango
Snacks:

• 4 x Mikado - 2 syns
  • 1 Muller light 'Strawberry Goodies' - 2.5 syns
  • 1 Muller light vanilla
  • 1 banana
  • 2 apples
  • 19g Tyrell's Sweet & Salty popcorn - 4.5 syns
Syns: 15 syns

Last edited:
6th May 2015

6th May 2015

Breakfast:

• 1 x Wholegrain toast (HEXB)
  • 1tsp peanut butter - 1.5 syns
  • 1 banana
  • Rice pudding (rice, vanilla yoghurt, vanilla essence) - 2 syns (strawberry jam)
Lunch:

• Rice w/ dark soya sauce + sesame oil - 2 syn (0.5 tsp sesame oil)
  • Slimming world bolognese
  • Muller Mochaccino yoghurt - 7 syns
Dinner:

• Chilli con carne w/ rice
Snacks:

• 1 apple
Syns: ???

I went to a friend's house for dinner, and she cooked a wonderful (but extremely spicy chilli). To combat the heat I had to add a few spoonfuls of Greek yoghurt - low-fat and not fat-free - of which I don't know the syn value. She then bought out her 'chocolate stash'. It was nowhere near a 'binge', but I still ate what I shouldn't have, and had no idea of how many syns I had. I'm really annoyed with myself for that; on Sunday I had a lot of family and friends over for dinner and there was the usual binge on chocolate and sweets, of which I had none, and I felt really pleased with the self-control I had. I lost that a bit tonight, and with the awful weather I also wasn't able to go out for my 10k run. A hectic morning start and a really late lunch with not enough veg can really up-end my diet, it seems.

Action plan on reflection: Tomorrow and Friday I'm going to limit my syns to a maximum of 5, and I know that the weather will be much nicer so I can go for a long run after I hand in my vote for the election and finish my training shift for my new job. It's my first time voting!!! :O I'm also having a friend over for dinner, so this way I'll have control over what I'm cooking, and I can have control over my diet. Fingers-crossed everything goes to plan. :) x

7th May 2015

Breakfast:

• Porridge oats w/ unsweetened almond milk (HEXB + HEXA)
  • 2tsp peanut butter - 3 syns
  • 1tsp flaked almonds - 1 syn
  • 1tsp mixed seeds - 1 syn
  • 1tsp agave nectar - 0.5 syns
  • 1 banana
  • Handful blueberries
  • Muller light vanilla
Lunch:

• TBC
Dinner: TBC

Snacks:

• Handful grapes
Syns: TBC

Hey Bethan, how are things going?

I've been reading your diary (which I find super well-organised), but was away from home and had no time to reply. I hope you keep updating it.

Back