Phoenyx's low carb low cal diary

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
I've just spent nearly 2 weeks doing slim and save, and then fell off the wagon. Getting back on, I made a list of the pros and cons of carrying on with slim and save. Some of the cons, including feeding my children junk because I didn't want to cook, and not eating with my kids led me to look at other diets. I've concluded that I want to stay low carb and I love the convenience of packs, so I'm going to try combining them in a diet of my own. If this doesn't work m heading back to slim and save!

So, my diet: this will be a ketogenic diet so I want to restrict my carbs to less than 60g a day and my cals to less than 1200 (where possible, I'm not that bothered by the calories as long as theyre lowish...

I've bought the Dukan diet life plan and Atkins cookbook for motivation and recipes. I'm aiming to feed the kids what I'm eating for evening meal, with carbs as appropriate (tonight they had the same as me but with mashed potato). Back to school next week so lunches will be less of a problem!

So, day 1:

B S&S cafe latte shake
L S&S soup
S 12 almonds, 10 button mushrooms, small soya latte from costa
D fillet steak with homemade tomato, courgette and red pepper sauce
S Galette (recipe from Dukan)

Exercise: run / walk on treadmill 30 mins
Water: 2.5 litres

Total cal: 929
total carbs: 49g

Felt v good to be eating with my DDs again last night. And for them to have a proper meal rather than something I'd thrown together because I didn't want to cook!

Tried shred level 1 this morning, it was tough - didn't feel like I had a whole lot of energy, which is not surprising. Have posted on the Dukan thread to see when I'll be feeling up to more intense exercise. Glad I just got on and did it though. I tend to exercise in the morning on an empty stomach. I may need to change this.

Day 2 - so far, so good!

Exercise: 25 mins, level 1 shred

10am S&S cafe latte shake
1 pm m&s calamari rings, small soya latte (costa)
5pm S&S cottage pie food pack, 12 almonds
7pm roast chicken & broccoli
9pm S&S hot chocolate

Total cals: 1050
total carbs: 48g

Water:2.5-3 litres

will be reading your diary and getting some ideas so keep posting

Will do! I admire anyone who can follow a vlcd for any length of time - some people say its easy - I found it the hardest diet ive ever done. I'm very happy with what I'm doing now, I feel like I can be much more "normal". I'm tempted by Dukan, to be honest, but I love the convenience of the packs and I've got some left to use up.

Today was fairly easy to get through except I let myself get too hungry after lunch (was out and didn't have another snack on me), so I found sticking to my dinner portions hard (fortunately I'd allowed for quite big portions) - I didn't miss the roasties that my kiddies had, which I was pleased at, and have just eaten a bar and feel stuffed, which is great.

well done
lipotrim was the hardest diet i ever done 3 shakes a day got boring (lost 20lbs )
and then i found on this site slim and save and some of the LT moved over too
so i thought i would give it a try ,i wish i found sns 1st
and also looking out for some ideas as well as to what to eat after i have finished or just a change for a meal one night

well done
lipotrim was the hardest diet i ever done 3 shakes a day got boring (lost 20lbs )
and then i found on this site slim and save and some of the LT moved over too
so i thought i would give it a try ,i wish i found sns 1st
and also looking out for some ideas as well as to what to eat after i have finished or just a change for a meal one night

Well done you! I love the packs n slim & save but I'd rather lose the weight more slowly and enjoy food! If I can lose weight doing both then so much the better! Good luck on your journey!

Oh today's going to be tough because I'm tired - DD decided she wasn't going to sleep between 3 and 4.30am. Grr! No exercise this morning either as I then overslept. Grabbed a cold sausage and slice of melon on the way out of the door, but didn't realise that my small slice of melon had 12g carbs!!! Back to work and 6am starts if I want to exercise - gonna be a shock to the system!

And either that or my tiredness has made me feel like nibbling this morning, but I'm holding off until lunchtime.

That said - I'm loving this diet at the mo - long may it last!

well done
my little man has been waking up at that time as well ,he s got a cold . blees him
it does make the day really long . and we still keep going dont we

A good day today, I'm pleased.

B: 97% pork sausage, 1/6 Galia melon
L: 130g bresaola, 4 slices half fat cheddar (100g!!!)
S: soya latte
T: rocket leaves, tbsp tuna, 12 king prawns, half a boiled egg, green beans, cauliflower mash (found this v filling!)
S: chocolate Truffa bar (S&S)

Exercise: run / walk on treadmill, 34 mins, 346 cals burned

Total cals 1006
Total carbs 41g

Last edited:
Here I am, at the end of another successful day :) am feeling v pleased, and a bit surprised at how easy it was! I won't get too complacent though, because I start back at work tomorrow, and a change of routine has often been my downfall!

B - 2 bacon medallions, 2 fried eggs, 2 tomatoes, coffee with skimmed milk
L - roast pork in a restaurant, no potatoes, some gravy (forgot to ask for it on the side!), green beans, mashed swede & carrot
T: 2 small oatbran muffins with 0.5 pack of m&s garlic prawns and 15g st agur blue cheese. Felt a bit sick after - too much, I think.
S: small soya latte, smidgin of left over smoked salmon

Am stuffed! Should have stopped eating dinner before I did!

Total cals: 1057
Total carbs: 50g

Exercise: 75 mins mowing the lawn
Water: 2 litres

Targets for this week:
- stay on track
- up the water a little
- exercise at least 5 days
- stop eating when full

Hi phoenyx, found your diary. Good luck getting back into work routine:)

Don't know what it was today but I've been hungry all day. Not seriously hungry (not out of ketosis hungry) but annoying I want to eat hungry. Especially this evening. So I have been eating, all evening, and now I'm stuffed! but I stuck to low crb and my calories, whilst not very low, are surprisingly reasonable for how full I feel!

B: S&S shake (have ordered some Atkins shakes because they're lower in carbs)
L: salad with squid, pine nuts, Parmesan and pesto dressing
Snack: mini marmite cheddar bite
T: 2 chicken breasts stir fried in olive oil with mushrooms, red pepper and courgettes
S: marmite cheddar, galette with butter, 2 slices Parma ham

cals: 1421
carbs: 45g

Exercise: shred level 2, 28 mins
water: 3 litres

Im thinking of going officially onto Atkins, skipping the induction phase as I'm already well into ketosis, cutting carbs to under 40g and not watching calories. I concentrate a little too much on the calories thing and it's stopping me eating just for hunger. One to think about.

I must admit i like the theory that a protein pigout is self limiting:). Also although i can go up to 40-50g of carbs i actually feel better (ie less nibblie) on about 20 which is what i often eat naturally

Enjoy experimenting - you have to figure out what works for you:)

And yum to squid and marmite cheese - both my favourite!

Yup, I'm addicted to the little marmite cheddar bites. Perfectly sized for a nibble mid morning :)

This way of eating is such a revelation! Last night I was in binge mode - on a normal diet I would have caved, eaten lots of sugary thing and woken up starving as well.

Instead, I started out as if I was going to binge, and grabbed a low carb oat bran and egg muffin, spread it with butter, added cheese and stuffed it down. I expected to eat more but it was large and I felt stuffed! And this morning i woke up and wasn't hungry! No sugar dip I guess. Today has therefore been fine and all is good with the world :)

Back