Phoenyxs whole30 diary

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
I'm starting the whole30 diet plan - basically 30 days of clean paleo living for 30 days. I've been paleo for the last 5 weeks (except yesterday afternoon when I fell into a vat of chocolate cake) but I watch my calorie intake and weight too closely. Plus I'm getting a bit too reliant on cheese and cream in my diet. So I'm going strict for 30 days.

The rules are:

1: Eat real food - meat, fish, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats.

2: Don't eat
- sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc
- processed foods. This includes protein shakes, pre-packaged snacks/meals, protein bars, milk substitutes, etc.
- alcohol, in any form.
- grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, millet, oats, corn, rice, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa.
- legumes. This includes beans (black, kidney, lima, etc.), peas, lentils, and peanuts or peanut butter. This also includes all forms of soy - soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
- dairy. This includes all cow, goat or sheep's milk, cream, butter, cheese, yogurt, whey, ice cream, etc.
- white potatoes

And heres one I think I'll struggle to stick to over the thirty days

"NO weighing yourself or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30."

Hmmm not sure I'll survive without weighing, or calorie counting, or alcohol, but it's only thirty days...

I'll keep a food diary on here. Here goes!

Day 1: Mon 25th June

Weight: 13.4 (up 3lbs because of carb overload, first 3 should drop off fairly quick - not that I'd know if I'm not allowed to weigh in!!!)
Waist: 38 inches (top of belly button)
Hips: 45 inches (widest point)
Thigh: 28.5 inches
Arm: 13.5 inches
Chest: 36 inches
Bust: 41 inches

Ouch! I'm a stone and a half down from where I started in January but that was depressing!

Day 1

Today was an anomaly. I'm off work with a horrible cold bug (part of the reason I nose dived into carbs yesterday). Wasn't going to put off starting, even though I was asleep til 2pm today!!! (after getting the kids to school)

Breakfast - 2 glasses water
Lunch: 2 scrambled eggs, 100g smoked salmon, 2 chopped tomatoes, glass of water, black coffee
Dinner: rump steak, roasted courgette and onion, raspberries, handful of macadamia nuts, water, black coffee, green tea.

Felt like I really wanted to eat this evening, but I wasn't actually hungry so didn't.

Last edited:
gagaroxy said:
Hiya.am also doing the paleo diet. I am doing it for 10 weeks. I've been doing it for just over a week so far

First weeks the worst. I didn't properly settle into it until about three weeks in. Now there's no going back for me, I'm paleo all the way. I'm just trying to clean it up a bit - eliminate dairy, wine and artificial sweetners altogether for 30 days then reintroduce cream (I love cream in my coffee) and see if there's an adverse impact.

How are you finding it?

Hi Phoenyx, good luck with your 30 days - must admit that i'm not ready to give up cheese and wine but will watch your progress with interest:)

Kat1e said:
Hi Phoenyx, good luck with your 30 days - must admit that i'm not ready to give up cheese and wine but will watch your progress with interest:)

Hi katie! Lovely to see you here! Not sure I am going to survive without them either! But no harm can come of trying! I also really want to get away from my fitness pal and calorie counting, and more in tune with my hunger.

First four days where really hard.was really hungry and very irritable n felt like crying all the time. Getting easier now and finding I'm full all the time.been working out with a trainer at the gym as well as I go on holiday in 10 weeks and want to see a big change for then.
Good luck to u :)

gagaroxy said:
First four days where really hard.was really hungry and very irritable n felt like crying all the time. Getting easier now and finding I'm full all the time.been working out with a trainer at the gym as well as I go on holiday in 10 weeks and want to see a big change for then.
Good luck to u :)

Did the trainer recommend paleo? Keep it up - does get easier!

Day 2

Parents eve at school do at work from 8am-8pm. Long day, no exercise but my new kettle bell arrived for me to try out tomorrow am :)

B: spinach & 2 eggs, black coffee
L: watercress & rocket, roast chicken & 1 avocado, black coffee
S: 30g macadamia nuts, black tea
T: steak, green beans, red pepper, red onion, all fried in coconut oil. 1/2 punnet raspberries, green tea

Water - about 2 litres
Exercise - none :(

One rule already broken! I tracked on mfp, came to about 1600 cal....that's going to be a hard habit to break!

Yeah the trainer recommended it. I'd never heard of it before that. I've not had a pack of crisps in eleven days which am really proud off, as I usually have bout 2 a day. My partner is doing paleo too which a think is really helping.if he wasn't I'd probably have caved in by now :)

Back