Pickled items...

Hiya
All a bit new to this. Whilst in group last week, my consultant was talking to another member about why pickled items such as gherkins and onions were actually good for your weightloss. but me being me, its one ear and out the other!

can anybody shed some light on this? how does eating yummy pickled goods enhance your weightloss?

Have a look at the nutritional info on a jar of gherkins. You'd pretty much fill your tum up with that many but it's something daft like under 100 calories for the whole jar. They're savoury so very satisfying for the appetite, and they fill you up for next to no calories so that's why they're SUPERfree!

Much to my annoyance pickled walnuts aren't free, probably due to the ton of sugar in the vinegar. Also try making your own - red cabbage, onions and cauliflower are a doddle and a great way to make use of reduced veg in the supermarkets. Pickled eggs are good too, and you can pickle those pointy red peppers. And chillies!

I made some homemade pickled eggs last week....yummy.

I guess the walnuts is because they retain a lot of 'nut oil'? Everything else that's pickled, generally, is low to no fat anyway.

Gherkins are one of my staple storecupboard speed snacks! I especially love Sainsbury's own brand as they don't put sugar in the vinegar so they are very sharp. Not to all tastes but I love them :)

Pickled walnuts are made from the green fruit well before they become 'nuts' - it's before the shell forms, and the fruit looks more like a miniature apple at that point. I used to make them myself, you only get about one week in the year when you can actually pick them like that. I suppose they could have oil in them but they don't seem to - none comes out in the pickling process anyway. They are just completely different to the nut. I reckon it's probably because they always get pickled in port or other such yummy juices, and my old recipe did use a LOT of sugar in the vinegar. Ho hum, but only 1 syn each, not the end of the world. They go really well with a ploughmans :D

there's a lot of variety out there with the amount of sugar that different brands put in their pickled foods. I keep an eye on the calories per 100ml. Anything over 60 cals per 100ml/gr and I no longer treat it as superfree, but free and treat it as such.

I eat lots of pickled cabbage, pickled onions, beetroot and sauerkraut.

Pickled onions have, per 100g 25kcal and 0.1g fat compared to 120kcal and 1.00g fat for the walnuts. The increase in fat indicates to me the difference is inherent in the fruit because although the sugars in the vinegar may raise the kcal it wouldn't raise the fat content? Or am I being daft?

Like you say though HH at 1syn each they are probably worth it regardless ;-). Much like how I feel about my little ssquares of green and blacks burnt toffee. I'm sure that as good quality 70% cocoa chocolate (and therefore less fat as less milk solids) I should be entitled to more per syn but what I have is worth it!!!

yummy :)

I need more vinegar infused foodstuffs in my cupboard!! I read once that strong tastes such as vinegar curb the appetite too as they hit your taste buds so hard (that feeling when it goes up your nose is a good example) so whether that's true or not I'm stocking up!!!

My latest thing is getting tons of cheap cherry plum tomatoes (thanks Lidl!!), leaving them on a sunny windowsill for a few days then chopping up and mixing with fresh basil and a load of balsamic vinegar, plus salt and pepper. Then scoff til heart's content :D Fills you up too!

Back