PITTA BREAD HELP PLEASE

bellski123

I would like to have my HEB as a pitta bread .... but dont live near a coop or asda to get theirs.

Is it acceptable to have a food doctor pitta (8 syns) but take off 6 syns for asda one (as you do for shop bought sandwich) so just count 2 syns?

Any thoughts very welcome!!

Sarah x

Its not about the calories, its about the content. The reason why co-op and ASDA are HEXB and others arent is because of the fibre content, and lack of other additives, oil etc.

In much the same way you couldnt just use white bread as a HEXB if you couldnt get wholemeal - you cant replace this either.

That's following the plan to the letter of the law though. In reality, you might be able to get away with it - but if your losses suffer this might be something you want to look at.

I'm so fortunate this is never a problem for me - where I live you cant move for co-ops - they're everywhere!

mandy296 said:
Its not about the calories, its about the content. The reason why co-op and ASDA are HEXB and others arent is because of the fibre content, and lack of other additives, oil etc.

In much the same way you couldnt just use white bread as a HEXB if you couldnt get wholemeal - you cant replace this either.

That's following the plan to the letter of the law though. In reality, you might be able to get away with it - but if your losses suffer this might be something you want to look at.

I'm so fortunate this is never a problem for me - where I live you cant move for co-ops - they're everywhere!

Hi mandy thanks so much for the advice i think you are right, will make an effort to get to a coop and stock up. Do you know the exact name of the coop one x many thanks sarah x

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

is there a Tesco nearby-con said that the wholemeal ones there can be used as a hex b but you need to add 1 syn as well.

I personally use food dr as a hexB and add 1 syn.

Asda wholemeal pitta: 132kcal, 3.3g fiber
The food Doctor Multi Seed and Cereal pitta: 157kcal, 7.1g fiber

I don't claim to follow the plan to the exact lettter though. I want this to be sustainable and for life so for the sake of an extra 25 calories, 0.1g of sat fat but so much extra fiber I'll stick to them :) They taste so much yummier too!

I don't claim to follow the plan to the exact lettter though. I want this to be sustainable and for life so for the sake of an extra 25 calories, 0.1g of sat fat but so much extra fiber I'll stick to them :) They taste so much yummier too!

Its stuff like this that makes me sometimes doubt the Slimming World boffins. How can something with so much more fibre not be a healthy extra?

That and the utterly random combinations of tinned and stewed fruit you are supposed to have for a healthy extra (eg 1 healthy extra = tin pineapple + 298g rhubarb etc)

But then I remember I've lost 3 and a half stone and I let them off.

But I still wont eat a scan bran with a bowl of porridge!:8855:

The fat in the Food Doctor version is 3.2g. In the Asda version its only 0.9g. So to be fair although they're small numbers it does contain almost 30% more fat. When you work out how many calories come from fat here and here Asda is 8g whereas the Food Doctor is 28.8 - 3.5 times as much!

Im as much a tweaker as anyone else but there is a logic behind the seeming madness :rolleyes: :D

im more interested in saturated fat ... of which there is only 0.1g of a difference. The seeds in the pitta will contain good fats (same as nuts, avacado etc) which is why it's higher :)

I'm a food dr pitta bread lover as well and count it as an HE + 1 syn. I know it's got more fat than the Co-op and Asda ones but it's reflected in the calorie content and that's what the extra syn is for. I don't concern myself too much about it as I could have a tablespoon of olive oil as a healthy extra and that's 100% fat!

I'm a stubborn tweaker hee hee :D

NumNumPigsBum said:

Evening . . Thanks for the post, i am thinking like you that its a life long thing so i am going to give food doc a go. His food books are full of great info so i am sure his pittas will be full of goodness! Thanks sarah x

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Hi guys,

I do this too as the food doc pitta's are wonderful, filling, tasty and healthy. 1 HEB and 1 syn.
Might not be technically "legal" but it hasn't slowed my loss down at all.
;)

Back