Planned break - still in ketosis?

kazclogs

Morning all

On week five of SS and have been 100% up to yesterday because I'm now on a planned two day break (woo hoo!).

Off on a wee city break and will be having a champagne lunch thing this afternoon so therefore had a brown sandwich with a slice of grilled chicken last night to take me out of ketosis.

It hasn't worked! Lost a pound overnight and still have sicky sweet death breath. Can't believe that two slices of bread didn't knock me out - maybe I'm the amazing ketotic woman :D

Problem is that I want to be out of ketosis so I can safely enjoy my fizz and a healthy lunch but don't want to eat lots of carbs to get there. Any suggestions for low carb/fat ketosis ridding breakfast?

K x x

I went out a while ago, I ate a side salad (with boiled egg and grilled chicken), then had four glasses of wine. I was fine. I think you only need eat something substantial to drink, not necessarily come out of ketosis.

x

no - according to the advice we've been given on alcohol and ketosis, it isn't about substance - it's about the actual state of ketosis. according to that link (though i've struggled to find anything to back it up, but there is lots of anecdotal corroboration on minis) you must come out of keto before you drink or risk collapse.

I have friends that have wheat allergies etc and who live on a diet of protein, veg, eggs, cheese etc and still drink! I would just make sure you are not drinking on an empty/liquid stomach!

Enjoy your two day break :):):)

x

It's a contentious subject, that's for sure. But basically, it goes like this.

Because you're no longer as heavy as you were, you have a lower tolerance/slower metabolism of alcohol. Because it's likely to have been a while since you last had alcohol, your tolerance will be lower. If you have alcohol on an empty stomach (and it doesn't get much emptier than when you're on SS!), you have a lower tolerance for alcohol.

Your body will burn the alcohol content of whatever tipple you desire in preference to fat, so all fat burning activity will cease until you've burnt off the alcohol.

The body's designed to burn off alcohol first because we find it toxic and the body will do all it can to get shot of it. Alcohol is known to suppress the production of human growth hormone and it increases the risk of various cancers.

Is it dangerous to drink while you're in ketosis? Well, it's a 'Your mileage may vary' issue. You may be absolutely fine. But do you want to take the risk of finding out you're someone it has a really bad effect on?

Kaxclogs - I don't find it surprising that you stayed in ketosis having had 2 slices of bread. There are only around 30-40g of carb in 2 slices of bread. Depending on what else you had yesterday, you probably kept your intake of carbs below 100g of carb, which is low enough for a lot of folks to stay in ketosis. You may need a bit more in the way of carbs, just to be on the safe side.

Lily, when are our bodies burning fat the most efficiently, is it through the day when we are active? or does it happen over night when we are not consuming shakes and bars? or is it about even?

Hi,
not a medical professional but...
I would suggest some sugar... :) have something sweet to give you some energy and when you go out for ur drink take some sweets with you, i know this might seem like the devil but the sugar will help if you feel lack of energy, it will provide a source of food for your brain and the like - there is a reason behind all this and can link to a nice explaination if you want but honestly just have take some sugar based product with you and if you are paranoid have it anyway, will sort you out!

mummymonster said:
Lily, when are our bodies burning fat the most efficiently, is it through the day when we are active? or does it happen over night when we are not consuming shakes and bars? or is it about even?

I've been cogitating on this one on and off all day. My instinct is that it would be overnight, when your body's at rest and can 'concentrate' on renewal and repair activity. But that's just a guess - I don't know the answer to this one. :)

Back