Planning for RTM

Jezebella

Playing the Angel
Hi All

Have been sitting here mulling something over in my head, so thought perhaps you guys could give me a heads up.

I have about 7.5lbs to go before I start RTM. So will probably start it about half way through my 10 days away in Scotland. We are staying in a cottage so will have our own food and be doing our own cooking which is fine. Did you all plan ahead what you would eat, or did you just take it on a day by day basis. I thought it might be quite a good idea to plan the meals a bit to make sure I went about it all the right way. Also the structure of it would probably make me a bit more comfortable. Anyway, does it help to plan it or is it better to wing it?

Thanks in advance

Jez
xx

PLAN PLAN PLAN!!!! And when you think you have planned enough PLAN SOME MORE!!!!!

Honestly - the first few weeks are so important, and it is SO easy to get caught out - you just can't plan enough. That way you KNOW you have things you can safely have.

I think it is essential. :)

How exciting!!! And you can enjoy the lovely Scottis Fish - yummm.

plan!
daisy x

Ok, some menu planning fortwith and post haste!!! Can you tell me if the following is correct? I have heard that for the first 2 or 3 days on RTM you are limited to the pure protein ie chicken or fish, and that on the 3rd day you can add the seasonings ie lemon juice herbs etc and the green leaf element. What was your first meal?? I am bloody scared ladies!!!

Jez
xx

Hey Jez - you might find this thread very useful - its week by week telling you what you can have, and when. :)
http://www.minimins.com/route-management/40101-curious-about-rtm.html

I would reccomend the first meal, keep it simple...it is a lot for thebody to get food after so long - it will taste nice, but may come back to haunt you in the we hours. ;)

That thread is really handy. Pop on in the RTM forum too - lots of good threads and info, etc.

It can be scarey for sure but also it's exciting. :)

Thanks for that BL, scary but exciting stuff. I am really looking forward to fish, which is not something I usually ate a huge amount of apart from fresh tuna :) Weird what has happened to my taste buds. Or perhaps it is just something my body is craving. The link is great, as is Sean's. I see from that it is just the protein for the first 2 days, I am guessing with just a little salt and pepper, and possibly tabasco since we are allowed that on abstinence. I will look out for feeling ill though, probably it will be a bit too much for the digestive system. So much to learn, so much to learn, will I make it? hope I don't screw it up. I have worked so hard to get it right thus far. Although I know RTM is about the learning curve and less about perfection like abstinence is. :) Sorry just rambling now, it must be the thought of actually having to eat fairly soon. Do you think the LLC will have a problem with me starting whilst away? I will only be able to have a WI on week 2 of RTM? Perhaps he will want me to stay abstinent?

Jez
xx

Hi
your LLC should have no probs with you starting whenever you feel like it! If you look at my thread in RTM i listed the first couple of weeks food in detail..might help
You will be fine - I remember being v nervous at this stage too

Daisy x

Ohhh Jez how exciting. I'm not an expert but here's my experience. You might remember I started RTM 3 days before going on holiday to Hong Kong. I started slightly early as I worried I would be stuck in an airport with flight delays and not be able to have anything other than protein so thought if I was at least allowed salad then I could manage with a 9 hour delay by getting something at the eateries there. Anyway it was not needed as I had no flight delay.

It was difficult for me to plan as I was going to have to eat out every day, but I made sure I had my shake for breakfast each day, took my bar out during the day and that was easy to grab lunch as I just grabbed a coffee, and at night when eating out I just made sure the restaurant had fish on the menu and asked for it done simply, no dressing or oil and no dressing on my salad and it worked quite well. I'm only telling you this in case you do want to eat out at some time during your holiday. So plan if you can. I also took a small bottle of balsamic with me in case they did not have any.

If you're going to be anywhere near the coast up here then the fish will be good, and good fish needs very little in the way of dressings/sauces etc. So if you are eating in the cottage then get yourself some fabulous salmon/seabass/mackrel/trout or prawns. All lovely with the simplist of dressings.

Lastly I had a bit of smoked trout for my first meal, was a bit bland which is odd as I love anything smoked as well as most fish, so the next day I mixed it with a bit of cottage cheese....sounds gross but it worked ok for me, by day 3 it gets better.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing you post how you got on in the RTM forum.

Ps, forgot to say, my LLC had no problem with me heading off on holiday just as I was starting RTM. :)

Thank you sooooo much ladies, I am still nervous, but also really looking forward to it. Morticia yoru advice is great, where in Scotland are you? I am really looking forward to some fish. Daisy, am going to review your logs of your first weeks to see what you ate. Can't quite believe I am almost there. It has all gone way to fast.

Jez
xx

Hi Jez, I'm in Glasgow but spend a lot of time up in the east Neuk of Fife where the fish is amazing.

Have a good holiday wherever you are and hope you get decent weather....:)

Lol looks from the long range forecast like cold and rain, but hey I dont care, will read, walk, relax and enjoy the sights and sounds. I think the place we are going to is near Fort William?? Not sure entirely where that is, must look on a map!!

Jez
xx

Good luck in RTM Jez, and planning is absolutely the key.

Have a great holiday and enjoy the new sensation of eating again :)

I used to know a chap called Dougie through work.He was from Fort William. When he Goggled it, there was a picture. I think it showed his house and THE Taxi which I believe belonged to his Uncle. I think it's a tiny place. You'll need a phrase book for the translations!

Hahahahaaha SB have found out the name of the actual hamlet where the cottage is - Ballachulish!!! Think a phrase book or translator will be a must! Apparently the seafood from the loch is quite famous so looking forward to that!

Jez
xx

So when do you start RTM Jez?

Jez - Ballachullish is lovely - at the western end of Glen Coe. Fabulous scenery, great walks and loads of water sports. Think Harry Potter, Braveheart etc. Steam train from Fort William to Mallaig worth a trip. Take the Corran ferry and visit the amazing beaches on Ardnamurchan. I can send loads more suggestions if you haven't already planned your trip :D.

Nearest supermarket will be Morrisons in Fort William, but there are local food shops in Glencoe and Ballachulish.

Warning though - Go prepared so that the midges don't spoil your time. The west coast can still be bad for midges in September if damp and still conditions. If you are there in the next few weeks don't forget to bring midge repellent. I find the Avon Skin-so-Soft oil works best. It's actually sold in the hardware stores here and its given to our construction workforce! Also recommend a midge hat - not attractive, but will allow you more enjoyment if out and about and better than feeling eaten alive. Dawn and dusk worst times, but midges can be about at any time of day if not windy or bright sun.

Have fun though. A very relaxing spot. xx

Well Morticia, all things being even and if the losses are good then 14 September!

Once again thank you soooo much for the brilliant info TI. Really looking forward to headin to such a beautiful part of the world :)

Jez
xx

Not long to go then Jez...wooohoo.

And hope you have a fabby holiday, only ever been to Fort William once for the evening when my friend was working there for a few weeks. The drive through Glen Coe at night with a full moon was amazing and inspiring. Enjoy!

Back