plantain

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by scarymary109, 5 December 2008 Social URL.

1. scarymary109

scarymary109 Member

is this free on green if fried with frylight ?
    just a little bit confused with what it says on the web site raw/boiled is free but fried isnt ????

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Sapphire

Sapphire Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(3.41%)
    Diet:
    Barry Groves/Eat Fat Get Thin
    Yes it is free fried with frylight, I think the points for fried are assuming it's fried with oil as it soaks it up - I love plantain, that's inspired me to get some soon!

4. Treats

Treats Silver Member

what is it?

5. Minders

Minders Finding inspiration

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    14st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(18.62%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It looks like a big banana, but it's much starchier and less sweet. It's used a lot in West Indian/Caribbean cooking, usually sliced and fried. It's really nice though maybe an acquired taste if you've never had it before. :)

6. Claire1981

Claire1981 Is so very nearly there!

Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Its lush!!
    I aint had for years.. think the last timewas the Notting Hill Carnival :)
    x

7. mod-karen79

mod-karen79 rainbows holiday buddy :)

is it a fruit or veg?

if it's a fruit then it will have sins even if it is fried in frylight, as cooked fruit has sin value.

8. Treats

Treats Silver Member

Mmmm... gone on nana's at the mo.. think was overload... :8855: Not sure they would have them over here anyway.. can't even find fresh chili anymore or parsnips!!!!!!!!!!

9. Minders

Minders Finding inspiration

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    14st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(18.62%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think it's a fruit, as it's more or less like a banana... though I've been told that technically a banana is a herb, but whether or not that's an urban myth or not, I don't know. ;)

I found this info on the internet (veggiesmatter.co.uk) if it's of any use to anyone:

This popular banana in Latin American, Caribbean, and Asian countries is often referred to as a cooking banana. Plantains resemble bananas but they are longer in length, thicker skinned, and starchier in flavor. In most countries, plantains are used more like a vegetable than a fruit. They are not suitable for eating raw unless very ripe, when they turn completely black. One half of a large plantain is low in sodium, and high in vitamin A. This versatile fruit has three unique stages when they can be eaten.

Green plantains taste more like a potato with a starchy texture. At this stage, the interior is yellowish or slightly pink. The fruit is firm and is often used as side dishes.

Yellow plantains are the middle stage of the fruit. These plantains can have some brownish-black spots. Their role now is both vegetable and fruit and is used in dishes that request for a slightly sweet taste and firm texture.

Black plantains are typically found in sweeter recipes. These plantains are all black or spotty black and are soft. Black plantains can be eaten out of hand.

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(3.41%)
    Diet:
    Barry Groves/Eat Fat Get Thin
    Hmm I suppose it is a fruit, although i've always thought of it as a vegetable as you use it in place of potatoes etc.

11. Mrs V

Mrs V Loves Life!

Start Weight:
    21st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    9st2lb(42.52%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hmmm...tomatoes are fruit, but we can fry them, grill them......hmmmm

12. willkat

willkat Full Member

I was just thinking the same thing!!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.