Plateaus

LucySera

Hi! Some of you following my posts in the June starters thread may be aware of my current problem - but I thought I'd open it up to a wider audience for input. I started off low carbing for a week and lost about 3lbs (probably glycogen weight) and have now been VLCDing for almost two weeks - with almost no weight loss whatsoever! I started the S&S packs at 9st 12.8lbs and have fluctuated down a lb and back up! Finally went down to 9st 11.6 yesterday, but today back up to 9st 12.4 (bowel regularity not an issue). Whilst I was used to STS periods when I was doing the main part of my S&S journey before Christmas, to lose only 0.4lb in almost 2 weeks seems very odd! There's been no slip ups, much water has been drunken - and the only possible culprit is that my period is about a fortnight late too.

So what I'm wondering is - do we have a 'plateau' weight/s where it takes our body some time to get back into the weight loss mode? I was attributing it to now being in the normal weight range - but this slow seems plain odd. Grrr.....

Erm, the only thing I can think of....is there chance of pregnancy?!? Are your periods usually regular? It sounds like that is the key either way?

Haha! I actually thought of that - took several tests and even made double sure I wasn't by checking in with the doctor since I'm on certain strong medications which would mean pregnancy = no go at the moment. So no worries on that score (phew) but since my periods are usually regular I imagine it's some weird hormonal fluctuation which is also affecting my losses? Maybe it's all water retention and when TOTM comes I'll whoosh down 8lbs? ;)

I wouldn't worry about two weeks sts. Keep at it and things will move again

I've had non stop tom and get long periods of water retention etc. It moves in a woosh when its ready!

Xx

The closer I get to goal, the more frequent the plateaus. But I do get a wooosh after. The worst was in April where I got to a good 23 or 24 days with no movement at all. I've had shorter plateaus in May and June. I'm just accepting that as a matter of fact at this stage of the game...or journey :)

The only thing I can say is that if I was at your weight I wouldn't be considering a vlcd. Surely your bmi is under 30 at that weight, if so I believe that a vlcd is not recommended and that might be why it is not working for you. Xxx

I read somewhere (I'm afraid I've forgotten where, it was somewhere on the Internet when I was searching about stalling on a VLCD) that if you have stalled it is sometimes because you're at a weight that you may have settled at for quite some time previously, and your body thinks that's what weight it should be.
No idea if there's any science behind this!

I did start off at almost 15 stone when I began VLCDing ;) Just back on the VLCD again to finish getting to goal - thought that would be okay, I did check in with both my doctor and with Rob? If I hadn't had to take a 'medical break' from the diet with unrelated issues, I would definately have continued the diet until I hit a healthy BMI goal weight of 9st. Although... I have been thinking it might be worth moving up to a slightly higher plan like Borders to knock off those pesky last few pounds, in the manner of Cambridge diet-style refeed stages.

Last edited:
I will be going to goal on s&s also which will be under 9. It depends on you, I am already researching Cambridge refeed. Going to 800 cals may be the thing that shakes it up for you hun Xx

To put my thoughts into the mix, i'd give up the S&S and just low carb it. If this diet was free then fine but spending £35 or so every week to lose nothing or very little is pointless.
Get yourself a little carb book like me (Collins Gem Carb Counter) and set yourself up on My Fitness Pall with something like 1200 calories and 100g of carbs. Don't go straight in with 1200 calories if you have been on this diet though, build it up over a week.
VCLD's are mainly for people who have a lot to lose as you did before, they are not designed for people who are already well within their BMI and just want to lose weight quickly. I'm not saying thats you at all though! xx
I wanted to get that off my chest as there are a few people on here and also on another VCLD thread who seem to have issues with food and despite already being well within a healthy weight range think they are fat and get obsessed with losing it and losing it within a set time frame.
Rant over! :)

Fair point Lesley. However I used to low carb and feel so much more healthy on this diet. I'd say it's as cheap, if not cheaper than a low carb diet though, taking into account how much meat you have to buy. You also save money on a VLCD as you're not spending on booze, meals out etc. the sachets also include 100% RDA of vitamins and minerals too.
I do agree that there are a lot of people using a VLCD to lose weight in a hurry as they have a goal and have left it a bit late. The diet is good for that, although I think people tend to break the diet more in those cases as they don't reach goal in time and give up. The main benefit of a VLCD is that I don't have to think about calorie counting, carb counting or anything, I just have my sachets and the weight falls off as promised.
Although the diet is only recommended for those who are overweight, it is deemed to be fine to use all the way to goal- meaning some people such as myself are of a 'healthy' BMI but still doing a total meal replacement.
And I feel FANTASTIC! :-D

the sachets also include 100% RDA of vitamins and minerals too.
That they may but if they were as good for you as food you wouldn't get the hair loss etc associated with these diets!
And I feel FANTASTIC! :-D

Good for you, you are doing great! x

Back