Please give me some faith in this - starting slimming world today

Shangri-la

Hey all, nice to come into this forum.I have just given up on my latest vlcd. I have done every liquid diet imaginable now since 2008 ie lipotrim,exante, cambridge, and latest is slim and save. every single time i stopped these diets, I have binged and put back on all the weight and then some. My metabolism is probably really messed up now so i am expecting a little gain this week on slimming world.

I started the slimming world class last tuesday with my friend but have only started the eating this morning. I am so sceptical that because i will be eating carbs that i will overeat. I love potatoes and could easily have four and these are free foods??. How do you guys stop if you have a big appetite. I am sick of the vlcd diets now. enough is enough. It played havoc with my family life, my hair and my digestive abilities ie lost so much hair, started having rotten egg burps when i went back to food (sorry, so graphic) and drove my hubby insane with my obsessive behaviour to get thin.

Please Please tell me that this is sustainable and doable and that it keeps bingeing under control. I know that I have binge eating disorder.

I am going to Estonia for a romantic break with hubby on 30th march so wondering how much i could lose by then. I now weigh 11st10lbs. would love to be a stone down but more importantly, id love to feel healthy and get a serious handle on this eating disorder.

Sorry about the long winded thread. Its lovely to meet you all. You all sound so lovely and supportive.

Of course it works, you only need to look round this forum and see the hundreds of success stories.

The only thing I would say is don't be disappointed if you don't have a great loss in your first week - people who have switched from a vlcd to SW have quite often experienced a maintain or even a small gain in their first week. Just stick with it, believe in yourself and in the plan, and you will see the results.

Of course it works, you only need to look round this forum and see the hundreds of success stories.

The only thing I would say is don't be disappointed if you don't have a great loss in your first week - people who have switched from a vlcd to SW have quite often experienced a maintain or even a small gain in their first week. Just stick with it, believe in yourself and in the plan, and you will see the results.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will stick with it. I just want to feel healthy now no matter how long it takes, i will get there and enjoy the journey, which i could never do before. I can see now that there is and never will be a short cut to a sustainable weightloss. The only thing that obviously works is a healthy diet and exercise.

I just want to feel healthy now no matter how long it takes, i will get there and enjoy the journey, which i could never do before. I can see now that there is and never will be a short cut to a sustainable weightloss. The only thing that obviously works is a healthy diet and exercise.

This! If you can change your mindset from one of "I want this weight gone and I want it gone NOW!" then you are far, far more likely to succeed IMO. It's like a light switching on when you can come to the conclusion that this way of eating is for life and that's OK, in fact it's more than OK is bloody great! I've never enjoyed eating more, honestly, I've tried loads of new recipes, I love finding new things I love to eat which I had always turned my nose up at before and I just love, love, love losing weight and actually enjoying it.

The thing about wanting to eat 4 potatoes in one sitting? Well don't worry, if you stick to the plan properly, and fill 1/3 of your plate with superfree there is no way you'd be able to eat 4 potatoes without feeling stuffed to the gills - with SW you only eat until you're satisfied anyway.

Good luck, prepare yourself for a possible gain on this first week and really commit to the plan and I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!

I totally agree with Stevie, it is doable and you need to stick with it to see great results. My main advice about portion control is to make use of the 1/3 superfree recommendation. If you fill a third of your plate with fruit/veg there is physically less room for other stuff. Also eat slowly and take time to chew your food, it takes a while for the "full" signal to reach you brain if you are eating quickly. Slow down and listen to your body. If you get to the end of a meal and still feel hungry, wait ten mins and have a drink. If you still feel hungry there's no reason not to go back for more.
Good luck and keep posting xx

Well done for making the good choice to move over to SW.

I left a VLCD after losing a stone in two weeks and came to SW to lose the last three - about four years ago. I put the weight back on after SW as I ate badly again. But it's a far more comfortable and healthy experience losing on SW than a VLCD. It also took me two years to gain three stone back, and I imagine it would have gone back on much quicker after a VLCD!

When I moved over, I did red days for a week (some carb restriction). I lost 3lb in my first week. The week after I did mostly green days and lost half a pound (clearly regaining some water from carb restriction!). Thereafter, I lost a clear 2-4 lb per week (but I'm male, women lose 1-2 on average).

The freedoms of SW take a lot of adjustment following a VLCD. You can reign these freedoms in a little by sticking strictly to 1/3 superfree on each plate, superfree only snacks between meals, 5 syns a day rather than 15 and no cheating! This might also help your transition - but only be strict with yourself for the first week two, as you settle in.

If you want to try and move to eating normally, I'd try and be less focused on what's happening in March or how much you can lose per week. Normal, thin people eat like SW trains one to. They don't have shakes, bars or ketosis. They don't weigh or measure everything. They know how to have a good time, then reign it back in. You're learning all of those things and losing weight at the same time, albeit gradually and maybe not as much as you'd firstly like. You'll also be repairing any damage to your metabolism and hair caused by the VLCD. Stick to the plan for six months, and I promise the changes will be positive and long lasting, with far fewer side effects.

Thank you so much for your advice ladies. It almost seems to good to be true. I am back up to Uni on Sunday and I stay in a bed and breakfast with my friend with no breakfast , lol and no cooking facilties. what we have decided to do is , eat brekkie, fruit and weetabix in canteen before class. jacket potato, beans and maybe some meat at lunchtime and mugshots with our kettle for tea in evening. in between fruit, noodles. is that enough??. and maybe even something for our syns like bar of choc. one night we might get a chinese. reason im in a bed and breakfast is that I am a nursing student up in north of ireland but am always out on placement so no point in getting a house. i also go home every weekend. i have four children and a husband in the south who i miss so much but travel home every thurs - sun. sorry about all the long story, guys, lol. and thanks again.

Well done for making the good choice to move over to SW.

I left a VLCD after losing a stone in two weeks and came to SW to lose the last three - about four years ago. I put the weight back on after SW as I ate badly again. But it's a far more comfortable and healthy experience losing on SW than a VLCD. It also took me two years to gain three stone back, and I imagine it would have gone back on much quicker after a VLCD!

When I moved over, I did red days for a week (some carb restriction). I lost 3lb in my first week. The week after I did mostly green days and lost half a pound (clearly regaining some water from carb restriction!). Thereafter, I lost a clear 2-4 lb per week (but I'm male, women lose 1-2 on average).

The freedoms of SW take a lot of adjustment following a VLCD. You can reign these freedoms in a little by sticking strictly to 1/3 superfree on each plate, superfree only snacks between meals, 5 syns a day rather than 15 and no cheating! This might also help your transition - but only be strict with yourself for the first week two, as you settle in.

If you want to try and move to eating normally, I'd try and be less focused on what's happening in March or how much you can lose per week. Normal, thin people eat like SW trains one to. They don't have shakes, bars or ketosis. They don't weigh or measure everything. They know how to have a good time, then reign it back in. You're learning all of those things and losing weight at the same time, albeit gradually and maybe not as much as you'd firstly like. You'll also be repairing any damage to your metabolism and hair caused by the VLCD. Stick to the plan for six months, and I promise the changes will be positive and long lasting, with far fewer side effects.

Thank you for that cheery. Right enough, my life has been a rollercoaster on vlcd's of side effects and moods. I really need some balance and health. I am predisposed to diabetes also as i had gestational diabetes during four pregnancies and was on insulin so if i dont gain control here, it will be diabetes city for me very soon!!!. It went away after pregnancy but the way im going it will be back if i dont get healthy. Thank you so much for the informative and positive advice.

Hiya I'm 9 days in and have lost 7lbs so far! I've only ever done low calorie diets before so was and am still anxious about eating this much food!! But it must be working! I had a month or so off my low calorie diet so it wasn't an immediate switch for me hence the good loss. I understand people will gain or maintain in their first week if switching but to be honest it will just be that you actually have Un digested food in your system.

Hi there and welcome. If you stick to the plan and be good to it it will be good to you! You will soooooooooo do this! Please please bob on here when you need extra support or advice, we are all here to help each other. I have been at target 15 months now, total loss 2.5 stone. You can do this, you can do this. That is your mantra. :) :) :) :)

One thing I would say is don't be afraid of eating if you are hungry. The food you list above is fine in terms of being on plan, but I think I'd be starving if it was me. Maybe grab some cooked chicken to have with that mugshot in the evening, and maybe a packet salad for some more superfree.

Also, the Tins of no drain tuna are good if you have limited cooking facilities. Do you have anywhere to keep cold cooked pasta? It would last a day or so in the fridge.

The other low syn option is the Ainsley Harriot cous cous - just add water. They are somewhere between 1.5 & 3 syns. Or you can buy plain cous cous & add your own free flavourings. Just put in a Tupperware tub & add boiling water.

It absolutely DOES work. I tried every diet going when I was younger(33 now so not so old!) including the meal replacement - basically anything for a quick fix.

Thing is......there is NO quick fix, but there is a way forward.

In September 2010 I was 15st 8lb, with SW I have been down to 12st 4lb. It works, the only time it doesn't is when you don't follow the plan.

I have yo-yo'd a bit over the last year, I haven't fully committed to the plan in the way I have again now. In the last 3 weeks I have lost 13lb - although I get a lot of daily exercise thanks to 4 horses to look after.

So read the books, clear out your cupboards, track your food and syns and meal plan, knowing that you are shopping to a list to be able to cook specific meals does help.

And you don't need luck, you will do it if you stick to it x

Hi :) Just echoing what everyone else says here. Yes, it does work! Three weeks ago I was asking the very same questions myself. I came to SW straight from a VLCD (The New You Plan) where I had already lost three and a half stones. I was very wary of carbohydrates and did NOT want to put back any of the weight I had already lost. To be honest I really limited myself in the first week on SW, so I still lost four and a half pounds. In the second week I introduced a few small portions of potato, some wholemeal bread and some bananas. I lost a pound and a half that week too. This week I am adding in a bit more, I have had rice and potatoes this week and have started having the Alpen Light Bars as well. So far I seem to have gone down yet another pound already and I don't weigh-in until Monday. Your weight-loss won't be as fast as it was on the VLCD, but you won't feel the need to binge or break out, because when you are hungry there is so much superfree food that you can have to fill up on. The really BIG plus about SW though is that if you stick at it, it will teach you to eat healthily and manage your eating in a way that you would never learn to do on a VLCD. SW is a sensible eating plan for life, NOT a diet! I hope that you will enjoy your SW journey :D

Oooh yes it definately works! I joined 13 months ago and have lost 4st 3.5lbs so far, gone from a size 22 (almost 24) to a size 14 all over, i feel fantastic and my confidence has gone through the roof!
I have tried a lot of diets in the past but the only one that has really stuck is this one, if you keep on track the weight will come off, the only way you will gain the weight back is if you stop the plan, and although i do have bad weeks (who doesn't?) it is easy to stick to majority of the time.
You may gain in the first week or so, but don't worry, you will get whats owed to you and you should see a better result in later weeks.

Good luck :) xxx

Back