Please help - new and gained 2 weeks running :(

g_2012

Silver Member
Hi, I wondered if anyone can please help me.
I joined sw online 2 weeks ago and have put on 5lb now :( feel like giving up! I am vegetarian so do green days. Have about 1 and a half stone to lose. Very active and go to the gym most days.

My diary for the last few days looks like this:
Saturday
Free foods - baked beans, pasta bake (made with whole grain pasta, passata, cottage cheese and a bag of mixed veg), stirfry noodles (the dried ones) and veg, spinach, fromais frais
he a - 3 baby bell lights
he b - 2 aldi benefit cereal bars and 3 more baby bell lights
syns- low fat actimal yog peach flavour (1 syn) and 2 highlights hit chocolates (4syns)

Sunday
free foods- mixed fruit (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry), fromais frais, spinach lasagne (made with spinach, cottage cheese,egg and passata), stirfry noodles (left over from sat) and cottage cheese
he a- 3 baby bell lights
he b - 3 baby bell lights, 50g feta cheese
syns - actimal yog (1syn), 2 options hot choc (4 syns)

Monday
free foods - pasta bake (ingredients as above), spaghetti , cottage cheese, lettuce, onion, whole grain rice
hea- 3 baby bells, 3 babybells

Heb - 50g feta, 75g Phili light.
syns- 3 hot chocs (6 syns) actimal light (1 syns)

Any help would be great. Many thanks

Only thing I would say is that it's quite a repetitive food diary - maybe look at green recipe ideas for inspiration. Also I know you are doing green, but carb overload when you only have a stone and a half to go may be a problem. What about a week of more pulses, less carb?? xx

Thank you. I always make sure I don't have too may carbs by adding lots of veg to everything. For example the stirfry noodles and veg that I do, I use a big bag of frozen veg and 2 portions of noodles and it would serve four people. The pasta bake I do has about 2 serving of pasta in and the rest is the veg, passata and cottage cheese. That serves about 6 but some days I do have two servings.

Thank you for your comments :)

Are the fromage frais and cottage cheese fat free and not just low fat - as these would have a syn value. Are you weighing yourself at the same time on the same day every week and using the same scales? Grasping at straws a bit!!

Hi, I wondered if anyone can please help me.
I joined sw online 2 weeks ago and have put on 5lb now :( feel like giving up! I am vegetarian so do green days. Have about 1 and a half stone to lose. Very active and go to the gym most days.

My diary for the last few days looks like this:
Saturday
Free foods - baked beans, pasta bake (made with whole grain pasta, passata, cottage cheese and a bag of mixed veg), stirfry noodles (the dried ones) and veg, spinach, fromais frais
he a - 3 baby bell lights
he b - 2 aldi benefit cereal bars and 3 more baby bell lights
syns- low fat actimal yog peach flavour (1 syn) and 2 highlights hit chocolates (4syns)

Sunday
free foods- mixed fruit (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry), fromais frais, spinach lasagne (made with spinach, cottage cheese,egg and passata), stirfry noodles (left over from sat) and cottage cheese
he a- 3 baby bell lights
he b - 3 baby bell lights, 50g feta cheese
syns - actimal yog (1syn), 2 options hot choc (4 syns)

Monday
free foods - pasta bake (ingredients as above), spaghetti , cottage cheese, lettuce, onion, whole grain rice
hea- 3 baby bells, 3 babybells

Heb - 50g feta, 75g Phili light.
syns- 3 hot chocs (6 syns) actimal light (1 syns)

Any help would be great. Many thanks

There a few things it could be.

1) Are you using Fat free cottage cheese, and fat free fromage frais? Otherwise they have syns in them.

2) On one day you havce used all your Healthy A's & B's on Cheese. I know you can do this, but I'm thinking there are better ways to get your protein fix!

3) Do you use Frozen stir fry veg? These often have syn in

All in all, I'm thinking you must be a bit bored. There are so many foods you can eat. Chickpeas, pulses, beans, all sorts.

Hi, I do exclusively green days as I'm a veggie too, and I've had no problems losing. Something is definitely amiss for you to have gained for your first two weeks running. How was your diet before you started SW? If you are coming from another diet this may be a factor. Do you feel that you're eating more or less than you did before? There's good advice and support on here so don't rush into giving up just yet. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it.

Thank you everyone.

Yes the fromais frais and cottage cheese are free. I have the asda smart price low fat cottage cheese and the morrisons fat free FF.

The stirfry I use is the Iceland oriental mix and that is also free.

I weigh once a week on a Tuesday first thing on the same scales. First week gained 3lb and this week gained 2lb :(

Hi hun, it could be that your not drinking enough fluids, this happened to me when I first started slimming world and eventually we found out it was because I wasn't drinking enough fluids. So whether it's water, tea, coffee or sugar-free juice, make sure your drinking regularly. :) xx

Thank you for all your feedback.

I have been quite active for about a year now. Prior to starting sw I did eat quite similar apart from had a protein shake each day and had quite a few protein bars during the day though these didn't replace meals I just tended to snack every few hours on something, which I am still doing it just now on sw I'm snacking on other things rather than shakes and bars (which is why I love the babybell lights)

In term of fluid I drink huge amounts of water. I have a litre bottle at work and fill it up at least 3 times a day. I know some would say this is too much but I do genuinely get thirsty a lot.

Thank you for all your support! Really need to get to the bottom of what I am doing wrong. I do have a big appetite when it comes to snacking (eat every few hours normally) but its all on the sw plan so still cant understand it. Decided to try sw as I started to get very hung up on my weight and feel guilty when I ate so wanted to try as love the idea of guilt free eating but it's not yet working :(

Well I don't know what to suggest. The only thing I can think of is to contact them for advice. When I started exercising I lost inches but maintained/gained pounds, but I was new to it. Do you know how high your BMI is? I've heard it's harder as people get closer to their right BMI, but having not been there for a while can't confirm this! lol.

you seem to be snacking on cheese a lot, maybe try some carrot sticks or something?
Thanks I hadn't thought of that although I love dips so may have to make some of the houmous on the website to go with it. I'll give it a go. Thank you

Thank you for all your feedback.

I have been quite active for about a year now. Prior to starting sw I did eat quite similar apart from had a protein shake each day and had quite a few protein bars during the day though these didn't replace meals I just tended to snack every few hours on something, which I am still doing it just now on sw I'm snacking on other things rather than shakes and bars (which is why I love the babybell lights)

In term of fluid I drink huge amounts of water. I have a litre bottle at work and fill it up at least 3 times a day. I know some would say this is too much but I do genuinely get thirsty a lot.

Thank you for all your support! Really need to get to the bottom of what I am doing wrong. I do have a big appetite when it comes to snacking (eat every few hours normally) but its all on the sw plan so still cant understand it. Decided to try sw as I started to get very hung up on my weight and feel guilty when I ate so wanted to try as love the idea of guilt free eating but it's not yet working :(

I was going to ask, about what your previous dietary habits were. Your body can sometimes take time to readjust to a new diet. Your body settles into a routine and when it goes from one kind of diet to another it sometimes doesnt cope very well. This is especially so for Atkins style plans....

Stick with it, I'm sure it will work for you... But, i would have got fed up with it if i had such losses as well..

I have a good breakfast which keeps me satisfied until dinnertime then a large dinner with salad & fruit, this keeps me full for several hours until supper, a lighter meal usually. This helps me not wanting "snacks" I don't keep biscuits, chocolate in the house so no temptation!
I now eat yogurts having found a make I like and if I want something I grab one of those....

Back