Poor old cat

Lucky7

Lucky7
:(

Tomorrow my poor old cat (nearly 20 years old) has to go to the vet to have 2 troublesome teeth out. We've spent the last year getting him monthy slow release antibiotic and anti-inflamatory injections but they've stopped working now and he can't eat properly. Very scary as the vet's warned us that he quite possibly won't pull through. I feel incredibly guilty that I'm taking him, despite it not really being a choice.

Just needed to get that one off my chest - Gawd - pass me the chocolate. 'Sob'.

Thanks Jezzi - too late re the choc though. Had a kinder egg.
I know you're right. I still feel like a traitor though.

Thanks - it's that big 'IF' that's worrying me. Wish I'd looked after their dental care more when they were younger. It didn't seem that important when they were young though. It'll be a tough wait tomorrow waiting to hear how it went. Oh well. The down-side to pet ownership eh. It's been worth it though, and yes, they are our 'children'. xx

:(

Tomorrow my poor old cat (nearly 20 years old) has to go to the vet to have 2 troublesome teeth out. We've spent the last year getting him monthy slow release antibiotic and anti-inflamatory injections but they've stopped working now and he can't eat properly. Very scary as the vet's warned us that he quite possibly won't pull through. I feel incredibly guilty that I'm taking him, despite it not really being a choice.

Just needed to get that one off my chest - Gawd - pass me the chocolate. 'Sob'.

My heart goes out to you Lucky.

Like you I adore all my animals . My cats have a very special story that I will not bore you with right now.

All I can say to you is the time to feel guilty would be if you didn't take him to the vets. You are doing the right thing. My old dog was put down a few months ago at 23 years old and she was treated for minor ailments right up to the end. It is our responsibility and your cat is so lucky ( sorry) to have such a caring and responsible owner......mind you don't cats own us !!!

Thanks Jezzi - too late re the choc though. Had a kinder egg.
I know you're right. I still feel like a traitor though.

What is one egg between you and your syns...........nowt !!!

Thanks - it's that big 'IF' that's worrying me. Wish I'd looked after their dental care more when they were younger. It didn't seem that important when they were young though. It'll be a tough wait tomorrow waiting to hear how it went. Oh well. The down-side to pet ownership eh. It's been worth it though, and yes, they are our 'children'. xx

Your cat will not be the first elderly cat your vet had administered an anasthetic too and to extract teeth they only need to use a light one.

So easy for me to say all this to you as it is not one of mine ( 3 house cats, 1 stable cat and 1 ferral cat ) and if the shoe was on the other foot it would be me posting in your place.

Please, please let us know a.s.a.p.

Good luck moggy cat !!!

love and hugs xxxxxxx

i hope your cat is ok. Im sure he will be, they are tough little *******!
My cat went in to have his teeth cleaner a few years ago, and when i went to collect him they had removed ALL of his top teeth! the poor little mite had stitches at the back of his gums where they had to cut his gums to take out the large molars.
he coped fine with out them, and even went back to eating biscuits, i guess his gums hardened up.
sadly we lost him a month ago 2mo (hit by a car) and i miss him so much :(

i hope your cat is ok. Im sure he will be, they are tough little *******!
My cat went in to have his teeth cleaner a few years ago, and when i went to collect him they had removed ALL of his top teeth! the poor little mite had stitches at the back of his gums where they had to cut his gums to take out the large molars.
he coped fine with out them, and even went back to eating biscuits, i guess his gums hardened up.
sadly we lost him a month ago 2mo (hit by a car) and i miss him so much :(

that was meant to say bu*gers!! lol

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. Lots of tears this morning leaving him at the vets, then a tough wait to see how it panned out (thankfully with a very lovely friend who's done her best to keep me occupied and not dwelling on things too much). He has made it through the op / anaesthetic and I can go and get him at half five to six. The vet said this morning that the week after the op will be the crucial time for him if he pulls through, so am hoping he can give me lots of nursing tips later! Anyway - so far, so good. xxx

Well, he went straight to his bowl and had a little to eat (usual pate style dinner and some cheesy scrambled egg as recommended by receptionist at the vets) and spent quite a while drinking water a little at a time. He doesn't seem to know what to do with himself now though. My OH thinks it's because I'm freaking him out by keeping on watching his every move. For now he's resumed his usual post behind the TV, but he can't properly relax. I'm just glad he's home for now. :) xx

I am so pleased for you both Lucky. It sounds as if he is going to be fine.

My life revolves around my animals, so I understand your concern for your boy. We have so many, but it never gets easier when one of them needs the vet. My much loved Jack Russell who was my chemo baby as he was a get well present during my treatment, has a terminal illness. We are fighting so hard for him. At present he is still well and bouncy, he has had 2 operations in two weeks and is doing really well. Never-the-less I will know when he can fight no longer.

Like us, you love your baby and will do everything and anything in your power to make life as good as is possible for him

hugs xxxxxxxx

Aww Sue - will keep everything crossed for your little boy as well.

Mr Sid isn't so keen on eating this morning - just a big drink of water then back under my bed for some peace and quiet. Apparently that's to be expected according to the vet surgery after-care handout, so will just give him some space today.

xxx

Aww Sue - will keep everything crossed for your little boy as well.

Mr Sid isn't so keen on eating this morning - just a big drink of water then back under my bed for some peace and quiet. Apparently that's to be expected according to the vet surgery after-care handout, so will just give him some space today.

xxx

Very sensible !! Cats are not silly creatures.

His mouth will be sore today and he knows best when he wants to eat.

hugs xxx

hugs xxx

Trouble is how to get his medication into him if he's not eating!! I don't fancy trying to 'give' it to him straight down (partly because I fear for my skin and eyes if I try that on him). Oh well, he's purring away next to me now.

hugs xxx

Trouble is how to get his medication into him if he's not eating!! I don't fancy trying to 'give' it to him straight down (partly because I fear for my skin and eyes if I try that on him). Oh well, he's purring away next to me now.

Lucky7 said:

Aaaw, bless him, I've got two cats and they are both my 'babies', I totally understand how you must be feeling! Does he have a favourite food, like plain chicken, which you could crush the tablet onto? Or a tiny bit of tuna water with the tablet mixed in? If its just a small amount, whatever his favourite is, it might go down! :). Hope all goes well, xx

His fave is cheese, but not sure how I'd disguise it well enough for him (he can never manage to get it in his mouth unless it's in little lumps). I tried a little tinned salmon with the tablet's powder mixed in. He ate half of it so will have another go with 2nd half later. The other stuff is liquid. Might try that in a beaten egg yolk. Otherwise it'll be the syringe in his mouth, which I'd prefer not to do as it seems a little brutal.
I can't leave food with medication down as I have another one (same age).

Lucky7 said:
His fave is cheese, but not sure how I'd disguise it well enough for him (he can never manage to get it in his mouth unless it's in little lumps). I tried a little tinned salmon with the tablet's powder mixed in. He ate half of it so will have another go with 2nd half later. The other stuff is liquid. Might try that in a beaten egg yolk. Otherwise it'll be the syringe in his mouth, which I'd prefer not to do as it seems a little brutal.
I can't leave food with medication down as I have another one (same age).

Bless, my Charlie's fave is also cheese, he goes mental for it! :). And the other one is a scavenger, so I know what you mean about leaving food out!! I'm sure u will work it out! Xx

Aha - egg yolk!! Pain killer / anti-inflammatory TAKEN!!

Victory! (Think it's gonna be a sneaky old week!!)

:)

Favourite in my house with all the animals from the horses, the goats and the dogs right down to the cats is with a syringe. I know you might feel it is brutal but if you can manage it it is quick and efficient and there is no doubt as whether they have had it or not.
For the cats I heat a little milk and mix the powdered tablet with it. I heat it just to warm as the powder is smoother that way . I also cut the narrow bit that the needle attaches too off so the opening is bigger.
You have to be careful that the syringe only goes into the mouth as you do not want it in the throat.
As your boy has had teeth out my second favourite method might be better for him. I crush the tablet as finely as possible and mix it with butter. My lot can not resist butter.
Mind you you seem to be managing really well without any of the above lol !!!

Ahh - butter. Hadn't thought of that (he isn't keen on milk).
He seems to be able to detect the powder from inside the tablet in whatever I give him, so gave up and tried to just give hin the tablet like the vet does. Hahahaha!! Bitten finger as expected. He then spat the tablet out, looked at it, and then just ate it and went back under the bed. Will investigate under the bed in case the sneaky old sod spat it out again under there, but it seems like it could be another small victory this morning. (Just hoping egg with the liquid stuff will work again tonight). Is it this hard getting kids to take medicine???

That made me laugh, the bit about kids lol !!!!

There is never a dull moment with animals.

I cannot wait to get home to see all mine.

Good luck tonight with the egg yolk xxxx

Back