Porridge Intolerance

Rosielea

Gold Member
After eating porridge, I get a headache and feel very thirsty. This morning I ate some with fruits. The headache came on and I thought perhaps it was due to dehydration but I drink a lot of water. Nevertheless I drank more water and tea but my thirst and headache are there (12 hours since I had porridge). I remember years ago I ate some oat cakes and had similar thing.
I thought it might be wheat intolence but I have no problem eating bread, museli and other things.
I wonder if anyone else gets a similar reaction with porridge.

you could just have a problem with oats?

It can't be a wheat intolerance because there is no wheat in porridge. However, it is perfectly possible - though less usual - to have an intolerance to oats.

I read up about it and it is definetly an oat intolerence so no more porridge or oaty stuff for me. Funnily enough I can have Museli which has rolled oats?. .

I read up about it and it is definetly an oat intolerence so no more porridge or oaty stuff for me. Funnily enough I can have Museli which has rolled oats?. .

If you can eat oat muesli fine, it does seem a bit unlikely that you're intolerant to oats.

I agree with Patchworkpuss's advice :)

That may well be true! I have a dairy intolerance to milk, cheese, cream, yoghurt etc yet I am able to eat chocolate. My doc says its defo a dairy intolerance though. It's really odd coz even though choc is made with milk etc I can eat it yet I can't eat other things that contain milk like tomato and herb mugshots - yeah I know mad isn't it! Salt and vinegar crisps too x

So it could just be the format or way muesli is made is diff to the way you eat/digest pure oats.

Just a thought xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

That may well be true! I have a dairy intolerance to milk, cheese, cream, yoghurt etc yet I am able to eat chocolate. My doc says its defo a dairy intolerance though. It's really odd coz even though choc is made with milk etc I can eat it yet I can't eat other things that contain milk like tomato and herb mugshots - yeah I know mad isn't it! Salt and vinegar crisps too x

So it could just be the format or way muesli is made is diff to the way you eat/digest pure oats.

Just a thought xxx

Yes I totally agree. so far I know that I cannot eat porridge and oat cakes but no problem with museli bars, museli, oat crunch biscuits. Perhaps the way porridge and oat cakes are processed are different.

I have a similar allergy with onions. If I have raw onions I get real bad heaches and feel sick. However, no problem at all with cooked onion (cooked or fried).

Suppose I am complex and strange creature.

Rosielea said:
Yes I totally agree. so far I know that I cannot eat porridge and oat cakes but no problem with museli bars, museli, oat crunch biscuits. Perhaps the way porridge and oat cakes are processed are different.

I have a similar allergy with onions. If I have raw onions I get real bad heaches and feel sick. However, no problem at all with cooked onion (cooked or fried).

Suppose I am complex and strange creature.

You're not alone there my love, I am defo an original creature to say the least lol x

After eating porridge, I get a headache and feel very thirsty. This morning I ate some with fruits. The headache came on and I thought perhaps it was due to dehydration but I drink a lot of water. Nevertheless I drank more water and tea but my thirst and headache are there (12 hours since I had porridge). I remember years ago I ate some oat cakes and had similar thing.
I thought it might be wheat intolence but I have no problem eating bread, museli and other things.
I wonder if anyone else gets a similar reaction with porridge.
Have you found answers to this problem? Because i'm struggling with the same thing.

Back