Porridge?!?!?!?!

ChellyWellyBoot

I will be skinny again!!!
Ok so got my calorie counter book!!

Calculating my calories for tomorrow...

Porridge section...

Instant porridge made with water = 671 calories????

And just porridge made with water and milk = 133??

So im guessing what I eat (ready brek) is instant porridge??

So what else is instant porridge and what is "porridge"

and why the heck is there such a big difference?????

What kind of book do you have? LOL

Ready Break does not have that many calories. Are you measuring how many grams of Ready Break you are making? 1 serving is around 30 or 40g. Obviously adding milk will add more calories, so use either skimmed or semi-skimmed.

There are 108 calories in 30g in Original Ready Break. This is 1 serving. And there are 48 calories in 100ml of semi skimmed milk.

Hope this helped.

Lol chels!

You can buy ready packaged porridge - my brother has them they are in little sachets and you add milk/water (not sure which) and bung em in the microwave - surely not that good for you really!

Stick to good old porridge oats and hot skimmed milk .... LOVERLY! ;)

Stick to good old porridge oats and hot skimmed milk .... LOVERLY! ;)

Yay. I'll go with that. Lower GI too. The instant porridge is high GI. Besides, I find those sachets of instant oats more fiddly than just using the real thing.

I use Oatso Simple porridge sachets for brekkie in work every morning. It has diff flavours so dont need honey etc. 130 ish calories per sachet. I make with water so doesnt add any more than that. if you make with semi skimmed its 213 calories. Skimmed would be lower again. They are lovely and the fact the servings are measured for you is even better so u wont over do it.

Welcome to Quaker - Product Range - Hot Cereals

aaah!

So would proper porridge oats have a low GI?

And can you do them in the micro wave? xx

aaah!

So would proper porridge oats have a low GI?

And can you do them in the micro wave? xx
Porridge is low GI :) and yes, they are microwavable. Read the instructions for the microwave method, should be on there.

Chel, I use Scotts Porridge Oats, I measure 45g of porridge, I add 150ml of water, 150ml of skimmed milk, and you can boil it in a saucepan or make it in the microwave, but use a deeper bowl if microwaving incase the milk boils up. It takes about 5 minutes or so in the microwave and I stir it every minute or two. This measures in at 210 calories. I love it. I somentimes add a desertspoon of natural honey for 40 calories to sweeten it up.

Thanks Kered!

I was just wondering bout the whole instant stuff!

once my ready brek is done im gonna get the proper stuff :)

Whats a GI?

Hmm maybe I read the book wrong lol

Chelly,

I emailed you a book on GI - didn't you read it from front to back? I'm gutted! lmao.

You'll find it amongst the cookbooks I sent! ;)

Back