Portion Control Plates

Hi, I am joining SW tonight and I have done a bit of research and see that super foods are essential with meals. Has anyone tried one of these portion control plates with the different compartments to help them do this? I am not so good with portion control and would appreciate any help with this!

I haven't tried it either, but I think they are very helpful. Particularly when you're new to Slimming World - it helps you to get the hang of how much Super Free you should be eating, etc :)

Don't get these plates. SW don't like them and certainly don't advocate using them.
Don't worry about your portion size, eat to satisfy your appetite and try to eat a third super free with each meal.

Don't get these plates. SW don't like them and certainly don't advocate using them.
Don't worry about your portion size, eat to satisfy your appetite and try to eat a third super free with each meal.

Can I ask why sw don't like them? I would have thought if they encourage the third superfree it would be welcomed.... I don't use one just curious.

Because its not a rule and its not exact. It would cause obsession. Third super free can be recipe ingredients not just on the side and you don't have to have it, but its a recommendation and the more you have the more you will lose.

Lines on plates dictate portion sizes and we don't :)

Makes sense... I think some people way obsess over the third superfree rule. On my groups FB page there's countless photos of people's meals with extra salad piled on, kind of defeats the purpose if you're eating the usual portion PLUS the salad IMHO.

Makes sense... I think some people way obsess over the third superfree rule. On my groups FB page there's countless photos of people's meals with extra salad piled on, kind of defeats the purpose if you're eating the usual portion PLUS the salad IMHO.

But surely that is contradictory? Because if you had the plates it would be marked out "Superfree foods" and "other foods", so your portion control would already be dictated. Therefore you wouldn't be "eating your usual portion plus the salad", because the portion control has already been done for you. If you see what I mean?

I know it's each to their own and all of that, but I personally think these are a great idea for new starters or people who struggle with portion control / getting 1/3rd superfree.

Because its not a rule and its not exact. It would cause obsession. Third super free can be recipe ingredients not just on the side and you don't have to have it, but its a recommendation and the more you have the more you will lose.

Lines on plates dictate portion sizes and we don't :)

I agree with princess stevie above tho. Surely sw do agree with portion control because of the whole synning fruit because of the risk of over eating?

Sorry not trying to be petty but just wondering really, and I know that you're a consultant so I always find your posts very interesting and helpful

But surely that is contradictory? Because if you had the plates it would be marked out "Superfree foods" and "other foods", so your portion control would already be dictated. Therefore you wouldn't be "eating your usual portion plus the salad", because the portion control has already been done for you. If you see what I mean?

I know it's each to their own and all of that, but I personally think these are a great idea for new starters or people who struggle with portion control / getting 1/3rd superfree.

I meant I'd seen photos of regular plates with loads of extra salad not the portion control ones.
I agree people need to find what works for them as long as it isn't to the poor of obsession. :)

Completely agree with Jaylou that's what my manager told me after it came up in my image therapy. I do think people tend to think SW can be a bit strict with their stance at times but I truly believe its to prevent misconceptions, confusions and people adding in their own 'rules' on top of the plan. However you can make them at home with a plain plate and a sharpie and 'bake on' the design in the oven, there are instructions on Pintrest how to do this.

I actually switched to a smaller plate. Found that has helped loads.

If you want a portion plate, just grab a sharpie pen and draw a 'Y' on the plate and ta-dahhh - money saved :D

I think just think its easy to visualise - a third veggies/salad, third meat/fish & third carb if you follow EE plan. Different on Green/Original plans of course.

Back