PORTION SIZES

Discussion in 'Route to Management' started by Madam Mimm, 14 February 2008 Social URL.

1. Madam Mimm

Madam Mimm Full Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    I'm struggling with this one! I am coming to the end of week 2, and have subconciously (or otherwise!) been making my salad portions bigger by the day! Last night I ate more of the chilli prawns than is suggested in the recipe book which clearly says will serve 2. I ate the lot (natch). But the strange thing was, I didn't feel like I was having a binge. I ate until I was full, well a little bit over that, but only a bit. I enjoyed every mouthful & as soon as I wasn't, I stopped.
    Is this the right idea? Or am I just kidding myself? I have a class tonight, but I think my Counsellor is away & just wanted some other views/opinions too. :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Alibongo

Alibongo Happily pro pointing!

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Hi MM
    Sounds like you did fine.
    This is going to be a steep learning curve I think. I am starting RTM on Monday, so swatting up at the moment.

I think basically we are supposed to eat until we are full.
    Eat slowly, take a mouthful, put down your cutlery, chew it, savour it, swallow it, then get another.
    I have started putting together a little list of portion sizes as I find them mentioned in the book

Portion Sizes
    Tom Puree 1 heaped tblspn
    Fruit 80g
    Veg 80g
    Meat 140g?? (made it the same as fish)
    Fish 140g
    potato 100g uncooked
    cereal 30g
    pasta, rice, noodles, barley, polenta, tapioca 50g dried
    fat-free or virtually fat free cooking sauces (3g of fat or less per 100g) 200g

Linze01 likes this.
  4. scotwannabethin

scotwannabethin Back to the grindstone!!

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    W8 as need to lose so I can TTC!!!
    Good list Ali. I put more salad on my plate than anything but I did eat far too much chicken last night and I felt awful for ages. That is a feeling that I will keep with me the next time I am tempted to eat too much. It is hard to gauge at times. It never looks like much on a plate but once it goes in your tummy it is amazing how quickly you feel full up.

5. ladylite

ladylite Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Just popped in to give you some support girls. Looks lovely cant wait to be in RTM but a long way to go.

Good luck everyone

6. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

just poking my nose in and I'm not on RtM, however, from what I understand the idea of eating until full isn't the best one ... as it takes 20mins for the body to register that the stomach is full (so if that is what we aim for by the time our body says stop, I'm full, we will have overfed it) - I think it is more a feeling of satisfaction/no longer feeling hungry that is what we are meant to aim for

7. Alibongo

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I guess it is what your definition of full is.
    For me eating until full means, eating until I am no longer hungry, not fit to burst.
    I never had a problem with it before though, I am a slow eater and have always left food on my plate. I had other issues.

Following the portion sizes and eating slowing, etc. like I said before and also using the food and mood diaries are meant to help with this.
    There is plenty of guidance in the books.

8. scotwannabethin

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    I guess for me it harks back to childhood and the "clear your plate" syndrome. I am getting away from that but I did overdo it the other night, because I didn't want to waste the food!!! Crocked thinking or what!! I have learned my lesson, well, for this week anyway! lol

9. Deb G

Deb G Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.56%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Starting week 1 day 1 next Friday - nervous and excited all at once! Will keep an eye on the threads in here for support and inspiration!

10. ladylite

ladylite Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I must say this diet is helping me with portion control for the family. I am not on RTM, but cooked dinner for hubby. I bought some sliced chicken breasts from M&S and I would of usually given him the whole packet and he would of left some and then, IN THE OLD DAYS, I would of finished his too.

Now I only gave him 2 slices and there are 2 for tomorroz dinner, so saving money also. I am sure he will enjoy it better as he is very lucky in that he knows when he has enough and hate a plate piled high

Good luck girls on you new journey.

11. scotwannabethin

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    Deb, Well done and you will enjoy RtM!! I was scared out of my wits for the first, well, week I guess that I was going to put all the weight back on but I am about to go into week 5 (tuesday) and I am loving it!! I realise now that I can just put a bit on my plate and not pile it to the edges and as high as I could get it to go without it falling off the plate!!! That and fruit!! Oh my goodness do I love fruit!!! Weird but I think the Foundation teachings are kicking in and I can see and choose the better options. And I seem to automatically want the healthier things.
    Really has changed my outlook on food and it is only now that I am back in the world of it that I realise that there is a chance that I might actually crack this healthy eating and weight maintaining lark!!!
    Good luck and Very well done.

12. Alibongo

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I started RTM today, I was a little scared (irrationally) that I would put all the weight straight back on, LOL.
    I had a mackerel fillet, it was gorgeous.
    I ate it slowly, and really enjoyed it. I was really surprised at how one little fish could fill me up, not too full, just about right. I just microwaved it and had it with salt and pepper.
    Going to have salmon tomorrow.
    Looking forward to having a nice cup of tea with a dash of milk in on Tuesday.

Well done Deb, it will be good to have someone at the same point on RTM.

I have been looking through the week 1-4 recipe book and through some of my old WW recipe books for inspiration too. I think even the ingredients are quite basic to start there is a lot you can do with it.

13. Madam Mimm

Madam Mimm Full Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    The recipes in week 1-4 are really good. I particularly like the poached chicken breast! I also like the spring onion dip. I have that with my crudites most days.
    I cannot believe how much my tastes have changed! I would never even look at a tomato pre-LighterLife. They're allowed from week 3. Had a couple of cherry tomatoes! OMG!! Totally delicious! Am addicted (oh no!) :eek: Absolutely love them & also celery!

14. Alibongo

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I am quite impressed with the programme from what I have read in the book and the recipes look great.
    I am going to try stuff I haven't had before too, or since I was a kid, like raw cauliflower next week with dip and fennel.

Quite looking forward to tomorrow when I can have some salad with dressing and a cup of proper tea with milk! It's like heaven.

15. scotwannabethin

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    It really is the little things. I love being able to have a cup of tea with milk. Can't say that I notice that it is skimmed or that I just put a small amount in now. I also have discovered that after years of avoiding fish because I "didn't like it" that shock horror, I do like it!!! A bit of salmon, grilled with a touch of black pepper is heaven! Almost as good as a green salad with balsamic vinegar.
    Well done Ali, you look amazing in your avatar by the way!!! Totally different woman!!!

16. Deb G

Deb G Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.56%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Thanks for the comments and support! I'm quite confident I can really DO this! I'm looking forward to eating - especially when I can have my greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast - I can't wait! Ordered my Tesco shop for this week AND next week - and am trying things I don't know if I like or not..... like radishes!!! Its so exciting - and each week brings new things we can have!!

I see they recommend frying in bouillon powder (mixed with water) rather than oil. Has anyone tried this with quorn or tofu? I'm worried it will stick as it doesn't have fat in it - like meat does!

Thanks!

17. Alibongo

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Hi Deb
    I am trying radishes too, I haven't had them for years, but I think they will add a nice flavour to salad.
    As for frying in the bouillon, you just need to use a lower temperature than if you were frying with oil and keep an eye on things. I have been doing it for ages as I was on WW before this.
    Not with tofu as that is something I have never had, but I will probably try it out now, but I have cooked meat, fish and veg that way.

18. Deb G

Deb G Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.56%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Hmm...great - I can't wait to give it a try then!

19. Alibongo

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    It is all very exciting isn't it?

20. Alibongo

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
  21. Madam Mimm

Madam Mimm Full Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    Thanks for the link Ali. Will have a good look at that when I get more time!
    Glad everyone is enjoying RtM. I was so nervous at the thought of eating again. I have to say, I am really enjoying all the fruit & vegetables. I cannot get over how different everything tastes from how I remember it! Things that I thought I really didn't like - tomatoes, celery, & most fruit - all taste wonderful! I am so glad about that. Hopefully, I won't be so tempted by the junk in future when I know the good stuff tastes better!
    Keep the recipes & suggestions coming - the chicken stuffed with quark & garlic sounds lovely. Will try that soon!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.