Possible gallstones :(

SerenityValley

Surgically happy.
I was in the most horrendous pain I have felt outside of toothache for hours last night and I am making a gp appointment for next week to discuss.

I made 3 of my packs into "scones" and ate them late - loads of salt, tabasco, pepper. I've had this pain 3 times and in each case it was following overeating of very salty kebabs. So I suspect I have a problem that needs looking at.

I will discuss options with doc (including the possibility of leaving it until the end of feb when I should be startong rtm).

Anyone ever had one and how bad was it - I find it hard to describe the pain. And how easy to fix is it - how long on abs, etc.

Some hugs would be gratefully received just now as am a bit worried I'll be forced to eat again (luckily I know the diet isn't the actual cause!).

thanks

Last edited:
Friend says it doesn't sound like a stomach ulcer and I have read the symptoms of some types of angina and not too impressed!

What was the gallstones pain like and where was it?

thanks xx

well they run in my family and my mum assures me its worse than child birth, the pain starts right under my bust slightly to the left and goes right through my body to my back, at first it feels like wind but it gets worse and worse, i remember once thinking i just wanted to be put down

Ok, I'm going to paste in what I sent a friend regarding the symptoms, as she'd been concerned - does this sound at all similar? (because I'm a little worried by the symptoms of unstable angina really).

Please note that there is mention of both food AND vomiting. And it's obviously written to a friend so isn't quite how I'd have posted it here.

Firstly, don't worry - it's nothing to do with the diet (will explain why
later) but I was in incredible pain - I mean shout out loud, shedding tears,
punch the walls pain. It was at times excrutiating.

I think it MAY be a stomach ulcer and I'm going to make an appointment for
next week. If it's not a stoamch ulcer, then it still needs to be discussed.
The following is going to get a bit disgusting but there's no point in not
explaining it properly.

TThe pain was just about the breastbone or just below - I find it hard to
describe but at one point I was considering calling a taxi to take me to the
hospital.

Thing is, I knew it would pass. (Back to that later). The only way to get
rid of the pain was to vomint and as you can imagine, because I am eating
very little, I don't actually have much to vomit. I had to drink a bottle of
water and wait (in agony) for my stomach to reject it. After about an hour
and a half I finally hit that spot where my stomach really went for it. and
the pAIN MORE OR LESS WENT (i HAD TO SLEEP SITTING UP FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS
BEFORE i COULD LIE DOWN (LYING DOWN caused the pain to rise as did a hot
water bottle).

So I was pretty knackered this morning,

Now, the reason I know it's not my diet - this happened 3 times in the
summer, in the same of a fortnight (two nights in a row, then a week or two
later). on those occasions I had overeaten badly - donner kebabs and chips -
hugely fatty very salty, and one of the things that I crave badly.

This time, I had had 3 packs at the same time, very late at night - but I'd
cooked them to be a bit like scones. I know for a fact I put way too much
salt in them.

I have a suspicion that salt is the big thing here (I have overreaten many
times int he last year and it was only an issue with heaily salty food). It
coud well be a stomach ulcer being irritated by salt. Or it could be that by
eating what was the equivalent of two very salty slices of bread might have
just set me off).

But aanyway, as I say I'll make the dr appointment to discuss options, I
won't play around with my heakth (though I will discuss the option of
waiting until the end of february with him, as this is only an issue if it's
going to happen again. But if he believes that ABs are necessary then I will
do that with small protein meals and hope that I can get through it quickly.

i wouldnt say its the same thing but its worth suggesting to the doc, i know it has been reported that there is a link between LL and gall stones

Thanks Green tea xx. It has lasted a coupe of horus each time (and thinking about how I feel now - I do still feel slightly sore and it does edge toward the left.

I was yelling out loud in the middle of the night I haven't often experienced pain where I was involuntarily shouting (not quite screaming but certainly like I was trying to lift a car over a post box =P

next time it happens call a doc out and u will get a shot of something to help. i too have to sleep sitting up when i get this pain, you will need a scan and maybe an endoscope to find out what it is.
ive had gall stones for 3 years now and will get the gall bladder taken out as soon as i get to my target, i didnt want to have an op being overweight.
lots of things trigger an attack, fatty food, fruit juice, spicy food, too many carbs.
i hope u get to the bottom of your pain soon x

I have Gallstones and I have to say, when I have attacks, it is the worst pain imaginable. It runs from the front of the top of my abdomen through to the back. And no matter what position I get in, it never goes away, never stops, I just have to get through it. I have prescribed pain killers that make me drowsy and I end up sleeping, but occassionally the pain will even wake me up through the pain killers. It also can make it hard for me to breath. And gives me a really high fever. I have been known to shrip off half my clothes on the way to the bathroom, and then be found by my brother a good hour later sitting under a freexing cold shower just to calm down the fever. Since starting LL I haven't had so much as a twinge, and for that I am so grateful! I couldn't have surgery to remove the gall bladder because my BMI was too high.

I actually got gallstones because of a combination of bad diet and a pretty nasty bacterial infection I picked up in Sri Lanka a few years ago. The attacks happen when I eat too much food at once or if I have red meat or ribs!! I was fine with cakes and stuff!! But it does always relate to fat and animal fats, not heard of it starting by salt before! But, kebabs would definitely have kicked one of mine off!!

The only thing that makes me think it doesn't sound like gallstones to me Andy, is because you're not supposed to be sick! My doctor told me if I started to have pain through my chest area or if I was sick, I was to go to hospital immediately!! Gallstone pain comes on very suddenly, and can last anything from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours but it stops as suddenly as it came on!

Hope you get some answers and peace of mind from the doctor!

B x

Last edited:
Hello SV,

So sorry to hear about your pain, I have a couple of slipped discs and when they are bad, I am in complete agony, it's hard to explain how bad it is to someone who hasn't experienced it, isn't it!

I just wanted to say that your symptoms sound very much like gall stones, my sis in law had them and she would have severe pain until she could vomit. She eventually had to have an operation to have her gall bladder removed coz she kept getting stones. It took her ages to get a proper diagnosis coz the doc kept palming her off.

I hope your appt goes ok, and insist that the doc does all the relevant tests!

bekimo i am always sick when i have an attack, and my longest attack was 4 days non stop pain with the edge taken off by tramadol

bekimo i am always sick when i have an attack, and my longest attack was 4 days non stop pain with the edge taken off by tramadol

Honest to god, my doctor told me specifically, if I was EVER sick I had to go the hospital immediately!

You've had constant non stop pain for FOUR DAYS!! OMG, I think I would have been down the hospital demanding morphine! That must have been hell!

B x

yeah it was not the best week of my life, part of the reason i wanted to do lighter life was so i could get my weight down quickly and get the gall bladder removed, im the 14th member of my family to suffer from it so i kind of knew it was going to happen to me sometime.

when it gets that bad i get shots of morphine because i cant keep the tramadol down long enough for them to work

yeah it was not the best week of my life, part of the reason i wanted to do lighter life was so i could get my weight down quickly and get the gall bladder removed

Yeh doctor told me my BMI was far too high to have the operation. I then deliberately put two stone on because I hate the idea of going under general!! Which is weird as I am quite willing to have a boob job and tummy tuck if necessary!! I'll have to work on that I think!

I've actually learned to control mine pretty well from not eating foods that I know affect me and using breathing excercises! But tbh, it sounds like yours is worse than mine. I know from my screens that my stones are quite small maybe thats why!?

I hope it all works out for you!

B x

Aaaaaarh u

It cud be the salt,as u sed it was like wen u used 2 av a salty kebab just watch ya salt intake,any way good luck & keep ya chin up im sending u loads of hugs:needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug::needhug:

Thanks Laeot, the hugs are appreciated :)

Hope LL is working out for you xx

I only managed 2 packs yesterday and have only managed 2 today - I feel a bit sick and am ultra wary at the moment about taking anything more. At this rate I'll be able to have a full free week at the end with all the left over packs!

Will update you all next week but will see dr asap after the weekend.

Thanks, LS. I know it'll slow it down but I just didn't mange it, I'll try and have a shake before bed and at least will have had 3 today

Back