possible inflamation of the bowel & one very rude doctor

nettleboo

Sorry i need too rant. I have a possible inflamation of my bowels and have been in lots of pain so today i saw a male doctor at the practice and he torn me some strips off. He told me that i personally showing me with his hands going up and down to indicate my body size need too eat very little at all. I said im doing slimming world too which he said you need too eat less and then told me no sugar at all because why do we need it? To which i said sometimes you fancy something sweet. well you dont need it he said and why dont you need it i said because it effects your weight and he Patronisingly said and rots your teeth. He then went on too say i shouldnt eat fruit and listed everything i should avoid. Ive been fat shamed and the cheek of it no well done for doing slimming world etc but it was the hand motion up and down that really got me. Not what i needed when im in lots of pain and my hospital app isnt until late feb. Sorry for long rant

Hi cave girl thank you for reply i do understand i need too cut out some things but it was the way he said i need too eat very little then indicating my size with his hand that got me. Im really trying ive lost 2lb which isnt massive in two weeks but atleast im trying. I just thought being incouraging of me trying too change my life style rather than the lecture he gave me its not like i was saying i have no idea why im fat i know. The funny thing was i said too hubby in waiting room he will lecture me about my weight and he did

what an arse.

dont let this silly little man make you feel ashamed, his bedside manner is obviously rubbish.

make a complaint to the practice manager xxx

I would definitely complain, he shouldn't get away with it.

There's a thing called a bed side manner and compassion.

Hope you feel better soon x

Complain straight away by means of a formal written complaint.
It's bad practice to do something like that as the criticism normally doesn't help, only makes the matter worse.

While I appreciate the sugar comment, sugar also occurs naturally in some foods and generally people brush at least once per day (better twice but some don't manage that much) so teeth rotting comments are likely just scaremongering.
From what I gather, you're not trying to IV Glucose or constantly found out of the house with Kendal Mint Cake stuffed in your mouth and that sweet things are a treat.

Sounds like an older doctor as well (they tend to be less progressive when it comes to developments in NHS treatments or even the acceptance of eating plans).

Whatever the case, with that bedside manner, I'd be surprised if he could maintain a relationship. (Okay, that was B****y but I would have said something in retaliation which would have probably been pretty horrible and potentially made him cry as he was a jerk first! :p)

You could however turn this around and get a voucher for Slimming World. Maybe request a different doctor though! ;)

You should complain. A doctor should be trying to motivate you - speaking to someone like that is more likely to make them go home and binge because they are upset! A lot of people are overweight due to emotional eating.

He should have congratulated you on joining SW!

I eat plenty of fruit and at 34 don't have a single filling in my teeth! I didn't eat many foods with refined sugar in, exercised a lot yet still ended up overweight! If weight management was that easy there would be no SW!

Back