Post Pregnancy Weight Loss Diary

Mrs CC

Silver Member
I'm not really sure where to begin with this! My name is Caroline, I'm 32 and have a son who is a week old. I've always had problems with my weight before I got pregnant and ended up putting on more during the last nine months! To be fair, healthy eating and exercise while pregnant was a hell of a lot harder than I had anticipated so I'm not gonner beat myself up too much!

So this morning I weighed in at 13st 1 (I'm on my phone so not able to update my stats at the min). Overall I want to lose between 3-4 stone, depending on how I feel once I get to 10st. I'm not in any rush whatsoever to lose it and am just being sensible. I'm starting out having maintenance calories of 2100 per day just to get me used to counting etc again. Part of me is a little worried I mignt be starting too soon, but I am chomping at the bit to get back to doing something for me and get into a bit of a routine now things are starting to settle down a little.

So I'm looking forwards to recording all my ramblings here and chatting to fellow calorie counters!

Congratulations Caroline :)

What did you call your little boy and are breastfeeding?

I think your being very sensible with setting yourself a high amount of cals its good that your not rushing yourself, as your body still needs time to recover from pregnancy, birth and caring for a new baby if you do find it hard just give yourself little more time xx

We've called him Anderson - a bit different I know! He is absolutely perfect, my handsome little man!

How are you getting on with CC?

I'm determined to take it easy cos I ended up having him by section after going overdue, being induced cos my blood pressure was high and then getting stuck after a 12 hour labour at 8cm! I've ended up formula feeding him cos we were both that exhausted and out of it after the birth. I am disappointed, but these things happen I guess.

It is completely overwhelming being a new mum but at the same time I'm amazed at how much my OH and I have picked up settled into it! Each day things get a bit easier and start to feel more normal! I do find the tiredness a bit much still tho! My eyes are so heavy writing this!!

He sounds so lovely and bit different names seem to be in at the moment.

I've had 3 sections hun, sounds like you really been through it- was you wake during the section.

Its really hard to establish breastfeeding after a section as long as Anderson is feeding well that's the main thing, I was quite lucky not to of breastfed my first baby as I caught mrsa infection while in hospital, so if I had done I would of passed it on to her.

One good thing with Anderson being your first its a lot easier to try and find time to rest so when he does have a nap make the most of it, its amazing how quickly a new baby fits into the family after I had my lo's it's always feels like they always been here, enjoy these early days it does go so fast.

Yeah CC is going slowly for me I tend to have good and bad weeks so I need to really focus on being good x

Last edited:
He sounds so lovely and bit different names seem to be in at the moment.

I've had 3 sections hun, sounds like you really been through it- was you wake during the section.

Its really hard to establish breastfeeding after a section as long as Anderson is feeding well that's the main thing, I was quite lucky not to of breastfed my first baby as I caught mrsa infection while in hospital, so if I had done I would of passed it on to her.

One good thing with Anderson being your first its a lot easier to try and find time to rest so when he does have a nap make the most of it, its amazing how quickly a new baby fits into the family after I had my lo's it's always feels like they always been here, enjoy these early days it does go so fast.

Yeah CC is going slowly for me I tend to have good and bad weeks so I need to really focus on being good x

You'll get back into CC soon enough, just take one day at the time.

Yeh, I was awake for the section. I do feel a bit shell shocked about the birth to be honestI don't remember much of it cos I was so out of it on pain relief. I just remember at one point his heart rate dropping and lots of drs rushing in talking about a section, then all was ok, then the midwife told me I wasn't dilated enough and I would need a section and I got whisked off! I remember all these people talking at me and I had no idea who they were or what was happening! For about two days afterwards I was really spaced out and don't remember much of them! To be honest, I remember feeling a bit like I'd just been dumped with no one telling me anything about what I should be doing etc. My poor OH ended up doing all the changes, feeds etc. Since we got home though, things have been so much better.

God damn phone! Pressed send too quick!

Yesterday was my first day back counting cals and it was quite straight forwards. I'm finding little and often the key with the little fella, cereal is a life saver!! Today has been going well so far too. Having the high cals just now helps cos I can have a treat as well, although saying that my appetite is a lot smaller than what it was at the end of my pregnancy. All I wanted to do was eat and eat chocolate the last couple of weeks! I'm not too interested in logging all my food here cos I do it on my app on my phone.

Today I've taken some photos as a bit of a before and after. I'd taken some wearing the same dress about 2 weeks ago, so I can compare myself preggers with after, and hopefully in a few weeks I can see how far I've come! My big swollen legs have gone down at least, although it is early days yet.

Hope your recovering well now, you do go through so much during a section or natural birth it can be very scary, my youngest got stuck during my section they couldn't get to her it took so long getting her out so I started getting feeling back so actually felt the delivery.

Just as well you had a hubby and that was able to do it all, the mw's aren't always good so I get what you mean by the feeling of being dumped. The first few weeks after my daughter I could only stomach cereal and chocolate and I don't normally like cereal so it was strange! I think your doing really well.

The photos will be great way to monitor your losses, I'm sure your noticing the difference already and once your milk as tried up you probably lose a bit more weight naturally.

Is Anderson a good feeder/sleeper? how's he getting on with his weight x

God, your section sounds like a nightmare! I was really afraid of being to feel or see what was happening. Did they give you more anesthetic or just carry on?!

Anderson was a whopping 9lbs 1 when he was born, so in some ways I'm glad I had the section cos I would've needed stiches anyway I reckon! The MW weighed him the other day and he'd dropped a few oz, but he's still eating really well. He seems to sleep well at night, but has been a bit restless in the day the last two days. We've had loads of visitors round tho so I don't think this has helped. It will take a while for him and us to settle into a routine tho, so I'm not too worried. He had his first bath today and was really good for it, We'd expected a screaming fit!

Today I've gotten to the stage where I've got a bit of cabin fever and I wanna go out. Its been really bad snow here tho, and I've not wanted to take little man out in it. I'm also feeling too delicate to go out alone while OH watches him so I'm stuck indoors! Was talking to my sister whose a physio today and she's really frightened me about how much I should and shouldn't be doing. She said no hoovering for three months! But she also said I shouldn't do a lot of what I have been doing! It's so hard with little one cos I already feel like I'm missing out on things with him. It makes me feel like a rubbish mum but I know I also need to get better too!

Yeah it was really uncomfortable, we almost saw what was going on as the screen fell down and my oh almost passed out, I think she was lying a cross me, so she was hard to grab hold of to pull out when they did I could I felt this big force and I could actually feel my stomach open if that makes sense, they then did offer a general for pain but I didn't want to miss out on time with my new baby, after going through all out it felt pointless being put to sleep!

Wow 9lb baby were you overdue? I was 2 weeks over due with my second and ended up having a section and I was so glad I did as she was 9lb.6 I was so shocked how big she was, my first daughter was only 6lbs and before I had dd2 the mw's kept saying I was measuring up small- so it felt crazy she was over 9lbs! I have to admit I was relieved Hollie wasn't a big baby as my recovery took longer before.

I did start doing things after 3 weeks like hovering I just tried not to carry it, but I did felt better in myself and my scar was healing nicely etc, I kind of had to do things then as oh went back to work and I had a 2 yr old and newborn to take care off, where Maisie was only 2 their were times where I had to lift her etc, plus school runs- pushing a double buggy to school picking up my eldest up so its really hard not to do any thing for 3 months. Even when recovering your allowed to care for baby like feeding nappy changes etc, hope your not missing out, they've always said to me your allowed to do everything to care for baby but just avoid doing house work and any heavy lifting or exercise etc and just try and rest when you can to get your strength back.

Aw glad Anderson enjoys the bath- that's so nice.

I felt the same with being stuck at home, couldn't wait to go shopping but we had non stop rain but when did get to go out it made me feel loads better. Hopefully the weather will get better and your be able to take Anderson out in the pram with hubby.

Feel free to pm me if you need a chat or anything x

Yeah it was really uncomfortable, we almost saw what was going on as the screen fell down and my oh almost passed out, I think she was lying a cross me, so she was hard to grab hold of to pull out when they did I could I felt this big force and I could actually feel my stomach open if that makes sense, they then did offer a general for pain but I didn't want to miss out on time with my new baby, after going through all out it felt pointless being put to sleep!

Wow 9lb baby were you overdue? I was 2 weeks over due with my second and ended up having a section and I was so glad I did as she was 9lb.6 I was so shocked how big she was, my first daughter was only 6lbs and before I had dd2 the mw's kept saying I was measuring up small- so it felt crazy she was over 9lbs! I have to admit I was relieved Hollie wasn't a big baby as my recovery took longer before.

I did start doing things after 3 weeks like hovering I just tried not to carry it, but I did felt better in myself and my scar was healing nicely etc, I kind of had to do things then as oh went back to work and I had a 2 yr old and newborn to take care off, where Maisie was only 2 their were times where I had to lift her etc, plus school runs- pushing a double buggy to school picking up my eldest up so its really hard not to do any thing for 3 months. Even when recovering your allowed to care for baby like feeding nappy changes etc, hope your not missing out, they've always said to me your allowed to do everything to care for baby but just avoid doing house work and any heavy lifting or exercise etc and just try and rest when you can to get your strength back.

Aw glad Anderson enjoys the bath- that's so nice.

I felt the same with being stuck at home, couldn't wait to go shopping but we had non stop rain but when did get to go out it made me feel loads better. Hopefully the weather will get better and your be able to take Anderson out in the pram with hubby.

Feel free to pm me if you need a chat or anything x

Yeh, he was a week over due. I was measuring big for most of my pregnancy, but not big enough for concern so I wasn't surprised he was a big un!

I just feel a bit emotional about a lot of things at the moment. I know I need my rest and OH is good and making sure I get plenty of rest, but I feel like as a result OH gets to do more with him. I know he doesn't really cos little man is asleep most of the time. Hormones are obviously playing havoc at the min!!

Calorie counting is going well. I've been on my 2100 cals the last three days. I have found it surprisingly straight forwards all things considered. I jumped on the scales this morning for a sneak peak and am really pleased with how it's looking! I'm not logging anything until offical wi on friday tho!!

Another good day so far. I'm finding CC so easy at the moment, but I am allowing myself a lot of calories and as a result can eat mainly what I want. Being able to have choccies and crisps makes it easier!

I finally got myself out the house today! The three of us went to the supermarket which I know isn't very exciting, but it's helped massively with my confidence getting Anderson and I out. Now the snow is going I feel better about gettting out more this week.

I'm not expecting too much from my body at the moment, but it's funny how I can already see so many changes day to day. My legs and ankles are much less swollen - I could actually wear boots other than my uggs today! I also thought my waist and stomach were a lot slimmer. I still have my jellly belly though. I've not been brave enough to try any of my regular clothes on as of yet either. I'm just hoping I'm not in my maternity stuff too long.

Hey Caroline,

Its nice you got out today and wi should be exciting!! I'm sure you won't be in those maternity clothes too long. How's your scar healing x

I'm hoping so too! My scar's looking ok. The last couple of days I haven't had as much pain in my belly. Although I was convinced I'd done myself a mischief after laughing so much at OH going off on one cos he got LO's poo on his hand! The things I find funny now!!

I'm feeling on the verge of having a pig out tonight. I'm feeling a bit emotional, I'm sick of being stuck in the house all the time, but I'm also scared of going out if that makes sense! I've gotten too used to sitting at home all day after not being able to drive since the last month of my pregnancy. I also feel like I'm spending too much time with my OH, we're not used to spending so much time together cos I usually work shifts and we have different days off. I feel like I just need to get out the house and away from him for an afternoon! But I can't drive so am limited in my options!! Arrrggghhh!! I just wanna wolf down my easter egg my mum bought for me, but know if I do it won't change anything and will just make me feel ten times worse!

Well, it turns out my little boy was determined I stuck to my diet! I'd got out the chocolate and crisps ready to have a pig out while OH went out for a walk, as soon as I sat down he started fussing! So the choccies and crisps are still sitting uneaten on the sofa! I do feel better about things now too. We've planned a couple of trips out the next few days so I know I will be getting out more. Plus I reckon we will have lots of invites for the easter weekend now too! I've decided to get a bit of an early night while OH sits up and will sort out Anderson, so hopefully I'll feel better for the rest tomorrow.

Another day within my cals, doing well. I am finding the 2100 perfect for not having to worry about what I eat too much. It's just getting me used to having a limit. Part of me (the old diet pyscho part!) is tempted to cut down on my cals cos I am finding it so easy. If I'm enjoying it it can't be working?!

I need to give myself a talking to, I cant keep doing the stupid things I used to. I have a son now, my body is recovering from nine months of changes and I had a major operation less than a fortnight ago ffs! I need time to rest and recover! I need to eat plenty to keep my energy levels up. Im doing the best thing and will keep doing it for at least 4-6 weeks.

Today we went to the inlaws which was nice to get out. Although I felt like mil spent a lot of time trying to talk us into leaving Anderson on his own with them. She didnt seem to get why I dont wanna leave him just yet! Tomorrow we're off to town to get him registered so have another afternoon out whoop whoop! The excitement!

I weighed myself a day early today. Mainly cos with it being the easter weekend, I can see myself maybe going over on my cals and I didn't want that effecting my WI. I needn't have worried, the scales this morning had me at

12 st 3lbs!!!!

WTF?! That's nearly a stone in a week!! I'm assuming most of that is water weight I was still hanging onto after the baby, cos there's no way I've lost that much fat having the cals I have. I'm just pleased it means I only have around a stone to get back to pre-preggers weight and two stone in total I wanna lose. I'm still sticking to 2100 cals for the next few weeks, although I wanna try and get some healthier foods in. As each day goes by I'm getting into more of a routine which makes it easier to actually cook a meal from scratch instead of grabbing something quick and living off crisps, chocolate and cereal! I'm also in no rush to give up my maternity clothes just yet. I put on some mat jeans today I haven't worn since I was about 20 weeks and they sat so akward on my scar they weren't comfy, so I'm sticking with my leggings for now! I'd much rather be comfy.

I got out with OH and the little man today to register the birth and it was nice wandering round the town with him. Feel like a proper mum! Although he did have a screaming fit while we were driving home so we had to stop at the inlaws to change and feed him. He's lying in his cosy now like you'd never know!

The health visitor came this morning too and it was actually really nice talking to her about some stuff. I'm still feeling a bit emotional about the birth and she was quite reassuring in how I feel about a lot of it, making me feel a bit more normal for feeling how I do! Don't think little man was too impressed with her tho, cos he peed all over her scales!

Now, I'm having myself a tasty tea and hopefully a well deserved rest with my feet up tonight!

Aw well on your amazing loss :) I think on the second week you do lose a lot of water and also the milk starts to dry up- but still fabulous loss!

You must be so pleased!

Thanks! It's probably not a 'real' loss, but has given me massive boost.

I ended up pigging out on chocolate last night after getting a bit frustrated with the OH. I was struggling a bit with my stomach and couldn't do as much, and I didn't feel like he was pulling his weight. We had a chat about it this morning and cleared the air so I feel better. OH has promised me a bit of time to myself to chill out and relax. I tracked the cals for the chocolate too and it's not the end of the world. Today I'm planning on eating less stuff like crisps and chocolate.

Back