Post your 5:2 fast day recipes here!

krupskaya

Gold Member
Hi all, it's great we have a 5:2 forum here. I'm intending to start next week and I am just working out what I'm going to eat on my fast days. I've just read 'the Fast Diet' by Dr Michael Mosley (the guy on the Horizon programme) and Mimi Spencer. It recommends you have 25% of your ordinary days intake on a fast day. I figure that for me that's around 400 kcals (I'm quite small - height not width!).

I'm a veggie so will be eating quorn as it's so lo cal and high protein. So one meal for me is a Quorn peppered steak (123 kcals), tomato (20 kcals) and 50g pickled beetroot (11 kcals). That makes 154 kcals.

I'm going to drink black coffee, herbal tea, diet coke and water, so pretty much calorie free with the drinks.

For breakfast I'm going to eat a sachet of Oat So Simple made with water and sweetener as that will come to 100 kcals.

Another meal I'm thinking of making is oven roasted peppers (2 x 36 kcals), red onion (200g = 96 kcals) and courgette (200g = 40 kcals). That makes 208 kcals.

Please share your fast day recipes too!

Last edited:
Found this recipe online so will be making this (from a newspaper website)

Spiced tomato dal Total: 248 cals

Ingredients
½ tsp vegetable oil (20 cals)
80g red onion, thinly sliced (28cals)
¼ tsp turmeric powder (0 cals)
½ tsp black mustard seeds(optional) (0 cals)
½ tsp ground cumin seeds (0 cals)
a pinch of dried chilli flakes(optional) (0 cals)
1 clove garlic, chopped (5 cals)
500g tomatoes, chopped (105 cals)
20g red lentils (72 cals)
3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped(1 cal)
1 tbsp Greek yogurt (17 cals)

Heat the oil in a saucepan, addthe onion and cook until soft and lightly browned.
Stir in the turmeric, cumin, mustard seedand chilli flakes (if you are using them) and cook gently for another minute.
Add the garlic, tomatoes and lentils. Stirin 500ml water and a fat pinch of salt. Simmer for about half an hour, toppingup with water if necessary, until the lentils are swollen and collapsing.
Taste and adjust the seasoning. Mix theyogurt with 1-2 tbsp water to make a pouring consistency. Eat the soupscattered with coriander and drizzled with yogurt

Will be having this on Thursday my next fast day in the evening and for my breakfast i will have a poached egg and 100g baked beans.

patches1 said:
Found this recipe online so will be making this (from a newspaper website)

Spiced tomato dal Total: 248 cals

Ingredients
½ tsp vegetable oil (20 cals)
80g red onion, thinly sliced (28cals)
¼ tsp turmeric powder (0 cals)
½ tsp black mustard seeds(optional) (0 cals)
½ tsp ground cumin seeds (0 cals)
a pinch of dried chilli flakes(optional) (0 cals)
1 clove garlic, chopped (5 cals)
500g tomatoes, chopped (105 cals)
20g red lentils (72 cals)
3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped(1 cal)
1 tbsp Greek yogurt (17 cals)

Heat the oil in a saucepan, addthe onion and cook until soft and lightly browned.
o Stir in the turmeric, cumin, mustard seedand chilli flakes (if you are using them) and cook gently for another minute.
o Add the garlic, tomatoes and lentils. Stirin 500ml water and a fat pinch of salt. Simmer for about half an hour, toppingup with water if necessary, until the lentils are swollen and collapsing.
o Taste and adjust the seasoning. Mix theyogurt with 1-2 tbsp water to make a pouring consistency. Eat the soupscattered with coriander and drizzled with yogurt

Will be having this on Thursday my next fast day in the evening and for my breakfast i will have a poached egg and 100g baked beans.

Ooh that sounds nice.

I often save my cals for dinner and have a big meal, but low cal faves are quorn and veg stir fry, egg white and veg omelettes, the quorn lime and
Ginger fillets with salad ( and 150g SW chips one day)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've just got the book through from Amazon......Love the fact that the 'fast' days, you can actually EAT!

Not been on this forum for a long time, and really suprised this diet's not got a greater following on here. The Amazon reviews are very positive.

So, I'd better get reading........

Have found a great website lavender and lovage which contains some fantastic 5:2 recipes am using two of my recipes this week from there

http://www.lavenderandlovage.com
RoastTomato & Garlic Soup
Serves 4 70cal per portion
[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
  • 500g (1lb 2ozs) ripe tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 red onions, peeled & cut into wedges
  • 1 bulb garlic, divided into cloves, peeled
  • 1 red pepper, de-seeded & quartered
  • low-fat cooking spray
  • 600ml (1 pint) hot vegetable stock
  • 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • salt & black pepper
  • fresh basil to garnish
Directions
Step 1
Preheat oven to 220C/400F/Gas Mark 7 and put the tomatoes, onions, garlic and red pepper into a large roasting tin; season with salt and pepper and spray over some low-fat spray. Roast for 45 minutes until the vegetables begin to char at the edges and they are soft.
Step 2
Remove the vegetables from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. then purée all the vegetables in a food processor with the stock, vinegar and Worcester sauce.
Step 3
Tip the purée into a saucepan and heat through for 3 to 5 minutes before serving with fresh basil leaves scattered over the soup.
Step 4
This soup is also wonderful chilled, cook as above and allow to go cold, if there is no room in the fridge, serve cold with a few ice cubes in the soup, and the basil leaves as before.

another is

SmokyMexican Stir Fry with Chicken (234 calories)

[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
  • Sainsbury's - Spicy Chipotle Chilli Paste, 15 g (14 calories)
  • Edamame Bean Vegtable Stir Fry, 100 g (129 calories)
  • Fry Light - Sunflower Oil Spray*, 4 spray (4 calories)
  • Chicken Breast Fillets Skinless & Boneless, 75 g (87 calories)
[h=3]Optional [/h]
  • 150g vegetable stir fry mix (in place of Edamame Bean Vegtable Stir Fry, 75 calories )
Step 1
Cut the chicken breast into strips and add the spicy chipotle chilli paste, using your hands mix it in well to make sure all the chicken strips are covered in the paste. Set aside for 1 hour to marinade.
Step 2
When you are ready to cook, heat up a wok and then add 2 sprays of oil, add the chicken and fry for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring all the time until the chicken is cooked. Take the chicken out of the pan and set it aside.
Step 3
Add 2 more sprays of oil to the wok and add the Edamame Bean Vegtable Stir Fry mix, stirring all the time, cook it over a medium to high heat until it is cooked, but still crunchy, then add the chicken and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
Step 4
Serve immediately and on non fast days, this is great when served with a tortilla wrap or pitta bread.

Thought I'd share my tea with you - not a fast day but at about 350 cals, it could be! My sons wanted pizza the other night for our film night and I didn't have any so thought they could make their own using the warburtons sandwich pittas. They had ham and cheese but for tea tonight I had this one.

1 warburtons sandwich pitta 170 cals
50g of mozzarella and semi dried tomatoes (tesco) 145 cals
Rocket 1 cal
Garlic purée 5ish cals
Tomato purée. 15ish cals

Was delicious and only took about 6 minutes in the oven. Might try feta and olives next time. X

I use the Warburton's square wraps - they are 187 cals for the brown ones and 159 for the white ones. They make delicious and pretty large pizzas.

Hi,

I've done 2 fast days so far. For an afternoon snack I had chopped courgette fried in 1 cal spray with garlic and a touch of salt and pepper. Low calorie and helped with the hunger pangs!

Good idea Denise, that sounds quite nice.

Came on here looking for idea's for tea as I started 5:2 last week. My fast days are Mon and Tues. DH is doing it too.

I mostly make my own meals from scratch and did make leek and sweet potato soup for last monday. Then leek and normal potato tuesday. Also did a chicken noodle soup for tea (homemade). All these really low cal.

The leek and potato I just cut up one med potato and 1 leek. Cooked in boiled water with some taragon and a Bisto chicken melt stock pot. Simmer until cooked and then blitz. Same with the leek and sweet potato.

I use myfitness pal recipe writer on my phone to work out the recipes. So easy.

Today I had a Waitrose Chicken and veg broth. Only 136 calories for half a pot. :) I added a few butter beans at 58 cals. Just need to figure what to have for tea. 305 calories left for that. :)

I've just got the book through from Amazon......Love the fact that the 'fast' days, you can actually EAT!

Not been on this forum for a long time, and really suprised this diet's not got a greater following on here. The Amazon reviews are very positive.

So, I'd better get reading........

Hey Susann,

Which book did you get? I'm thinking of getting but there's loads to choice from!

Thanks

SSX

Hey Susann,

Which book did you get? I'm thinking of getting but there's loads to choice from!

Thanks

SSX

I read Michael Mosley's 'the fast diet'. Easy to read and really useful. Gives his account and another from a female journalist. Also gives some food ideas for fast days. X

I read Michael Mosley's 'the fast diet'. Easy to read and really useful. Gives his account and another from a female journalist. Also gives some food ideas for fast days. X

I got this one aswell :) good book. Read it all in one day! Completed my first fast day and surprisingly enjoyed it! I did low cal veg (onion, courgette, soyabeans, greenbeans) cooked in a veg stock cube and a handful of brown rice, very filling and only came in at 200kcal, all calculated on my fitness pal. Had a 200kcal portion of beans on toast for tea aswell then a plum. I fasted from 11pm until 3pm the next day. Hope im doing it right :)

Back