Postmen/Binmen christmas cards

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
Do any of you write cards for the postmen/binmen and leave them a little something? Every year my mum has, but they live on a private-ish road, so nobody would tamper with them. I live in the town centre, so figure that between putting the bin out at night, and it being collected at 7am, something would go amiss.

Just wondered if it was my mother being random, or if lots of people do this. She often puts a few pound coins in the cards too, but I would feel a bit daft doing that. And I would feel even dafter running down the road at stupid o'clock in me slippers, handing out cards to binmen!

Postie gets a card and a fiver. he's great and always tries to leave parcels with someone and not take them back.

Don't tip the binmen though.

I don't tip anyone. Not postmen, bin men, taxi drivers, hairdressers, no one. Lol

Just like my mum Sandy!!

I don't tip taxi drivers or hairdressers although I tip well in restaurants/cafes as I used to waitress years ago!

Even if I did usually tip Binmen I bloody wouldn't this year as they were on strike/working to rule for about 6 months! Our neighbours all had maggots and everything! We didn't so much as our bin is washed regularly!

I don't tip anyone. Not postmen, bin men, taxi drivers, hairdressers, no one. Lol

I don't either.

We do not have a postal or rubbish system that operates to the house. We collect our mail and take our rubbish to central bins.
I find it incredibly embarrassing in Iceland that they have the Lions Society packing ones shopping and them rattling a bucket ( not a tin a bucket ) in your face for a few coins.
We are not mean but we can not afford to make donations this year and no one tips Paul or I for the work we do and if that makes me bah, humbug well, that is what I am.

I didnt before today! I've got a postlady and my girls love running up to her to get the post everyday so decided to get her a card and box of chocs, she was so grateful it was unreal!

I dont tip the bin men though, they come way to early for me to intercept

I might tip MY postie this year, not the one who delivers the bills, but the one who pays them ;)

We tip our postman, gave him £10, but he is exceptionally good! Husband and I both work for airline and are away a lot, he always leaves stuff around the back if the curtains are closed (as may be sleeping from jet lag) and if it's there the next day he'll drop it with a neighbour, which we're really happy with. Also, 2 days before my wedding the table plan still hadn't arrived so I asked him if he had it...he didn't, but the next day when he did have it, he brought it to us first thing in the morning instead of our usual post time of 11.30 , saying he didn't want me worrying - bless him! Don't tip the bin men though!

I give them tips like "please take all of my rubbish"! Ha ha! No, I don't, not since we have to provide our own bins, move them to the end of our path because the binmen can't anymore, and clean up after them once they've gone. I pay enough in Council Tax, without a tip. As for the postie, he's my neighbour, and we swap pressies with our kids anyway! :)

Tinytootz said:
Do any of you write cards for the postmen/binmen and leave them a little something? Every year my mum has, but they live on a private-ish road, so nobody would tamper with them. I live in the town centre, so figure that between putting the bin out at night, and it being collected at 7am, something would go amiss.

Just wondered if it was my mother being random, or if lots of people do this. She often puts a few pound coins in the cards too, but I would feel a bit daft doing that. And I would feel even dafter running down the road at stupid o'clock in me slippers, handing out cards to binmen!

It's a generational thing I think. It used to be customary for you tip the binman, and people rarely used to think 'I pay enough council tax so I won't tip.' Mainly cos most people in council owned property didn't pay rates, only homeowners, & far more people lived in council owned properties, so far fewer people actually paid for council services like bin collection.

Anyway, history lesson over :). I don't give them a card, but then I don't send Christmas cards to anyone, what with me being a heathen & all, & I don't tip them cos there are about 8 of them, which is a lot of wonga if you want to give them a tip which doesn't feel like you are taking the mick!

I try not to tip in restaurants, as usually they add a charge to your final bill anyway. Although on the odd occasion we have done, it will have been because we've had a brillaint waitor/waitress and we've actually found that person as we were leaving and put the money in their hand.

Does everyone wish everyone Merry Christmas though? Take for example, I did my Christmas shop yesterday, and I wished the girl on the check-out a merry Christmas, who didn't look very happy (who could blame her, it was rammed!) and the smile I got back from her made me feel all good inside! :) Me and the hubby actually try to out-do each other with wishing people merry Christmas, it's like a stupid game we have! Ha ha!! We love Christmas, can't be helped!

I tipped a boy of 11 yesterday for singing let it snow whilst at the checkout ( I asked dad if it was ok first), cos he made me smile!
All week I have been letting cars out in front of me...even a bus that I then got stuck behind!
I go out purposely on Christmas Eve to wish everyone a Happy Christmas!!

Incidentally please ALWAYS say hello to old folk, did you realise thT often the only people who speak to them are PAID to do so?
Carers, doctors, shop assistants etc and plus it makes you better looking!!!
Yup you smile... feel good... and look fantastic!

Back