Prague

Baby_Cakes

Dave's little girl
At the beginning of June I am off to Prague with my husband for a week.

Has anyone been? What is it like? How much spending money would be needed for a week?

I cant wait - just need to loose some weight now... easier said than done.

Hi1 I know this is a fairly old post but I assume you are still going? I love prague! My boyfriend and I had our first holiday there together Nov 2009, well was a 4 day break but was lovely if not a little cold in November! We sent most of our days exploring- we visited prague castle which was beautiful. The charles bridge has some stunning statues lining it and its one of the big tourist attractions so it can get busy. Wenceslas square was our favourite really oldy worldy beautiful square. From here you can get a horse drawn carriage round the city (we didn't as it seemed a little pricy for us but if you have some money spare would make a lovely memory), also some lovely bars and restaurants around the square as well as the old town clock which is worth being near on the hour as it does a fantastic little show as it chimes :) On the outskirts of the city is the Zizkov telephone tower, if you don't mind heights it gives you a great panoramic view over the whole city.
We used the metro system every day, 3 years ago it was 100ck (£1 is around 30czk) for a 24 hour ticket and we more than got our moneys worth! Our hotel receptionist was very helpful and gave us a map with the city where she marked the attractions we wanted to see so we knew which metro station to use, obv you can do this yourself with google and a printed map but its helpful to have to local knowledge too!
We found it really useful to print a small conversion chart to carry round so when we were looking at restaurant menus etc we could easily look and say "ok this meal is 200czk thats about £7" helped us keep track of how much we were spending and where the cheaper places were. On the whole its a fairly cheap city, it helps if you like beer as the local beer is dirt cheap! (I found it worked out very expensive buying spirits and mixers in pubs) We found a great bar on the main street with a beer pump in the centre of each table and it just tots up what you've had and you pay at the end- was fab but was way before my SW days!
I can't remember exactly how much we took as spending money unfortunately, I have a feeling it was around £250 each for the 4 days but we ate out twice every day and drank quite a bit! (bear in mind this was 3 years ago too so prices will likely have gone up!)
I'd love to go back, hoping we can do another city break to there next year maybe. Hope you have a wonderful time, it is a beautiful city! x

Back