Pre group jitters

nettie

Gold Member
Hi everyone,
I have done slimming world from home on and off for years using my very old knowledge of red and green days. I have lost a bit of weight but put it back on and this has gone on for the last 6 years.
So, I am taking the plunge and going to a slimming world group on Tuesday and I am feeling so nervous! I don't want to walk in be the fattest person there (yes I know that sounds ridiculous) I will be going on my own and worry that it will be quite clique, what if I don't understand the new plan and I end up putting weight on?? Eurgh I feel so jittery just thinking about it!
Please tell me that pre group jitters are normal?!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

It is natural to feel nervous :) In my experience my consultant and group are very welcoming and friendly. A good consultant will know you may be nervous and will try to make you feel comfortable. In my group there are people who are friends or just know each other from group, but they were never cliquey, and the long term members are usually very open with advice and support.

There is never such thing as a silly question, as usually there are others with the same question who are too shy to ask, (usually me lol).

I hope you have a really good group and consultant, as it really does make a difference, I would not be where I am without mine.

Thank you for replying- I hope the consultant is nice. I went to a group 8 years ago and the consultant was so lovely but I went to a different group 2 years ago and the consultant wasn't welcoming at all and I didn't go back.

You would think a consultant would make an effort to welcome new members, as it is their business at the end of the day. Good luck on Tuesday, hope it goes well for you :) If not, you could try another group, if there are any other convenient ones :)

Good luck - you'll be fine - and the plan is much easier to follow than it used to be.

Don't forget, there's a voucher for free membership in this weeks Woman magazine, so you only need to pay the normal £4.95 for the week if you get one.

Have fun :) x

Thanks ladies, going to give it a good go as doing it from home has been a big fat fail!

I think going to group gives an extra reason to be good! For me it is the dreaded phrase "Well done for facing your gain, and taking your seat in group". Makes me want to lose so I can happily say I have no issues for the week ahead :D It is nice to be in a room full of people who are there for the same reason, and who will understand how you feel etc. We also have a laugh, and my consultant is completely bonkers, so something usually goes wrong at least once a week.

Yes, perfectly natural to be nervous - but I bet you won't be the only one joining next week :)

At our group, we have allocated meeters and greeters to guide the new joiners through the process, and we're also having a "new members talk" for everyone so that we can get used to the changes to the plan, so (if your group does the same as mine) everyone will be in the same boat

I tried it at home, but kept cheating, so ended up going to class and really enjoy it

Good luck! :)

Keep in mind that the new plan has been heavily advertised and over the next few weeks classes will be quite busy. This means that the consultants will be a bit stressed (in a nice way!) with so many new people to deal with. But it also means that there will be loads of new people, feeling just like you, for you to talk to.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine :). Let us know how it goes! I'm doing ok online at the moment, using this forum for support, but have promised myself if I falter, then I'm getting myself straight to a group.

I've been reading lots on here about the new plan which appears to be red day with few tweaks which will suit me fine- love red days!
I'm looking forward to starting the journey and I'm sick of eating rubbish over Christmas! One more meal of 'party food' today and tomorrow I start being very good- I haven't eaten fruit for ages!

I love red days too :) I am going to try the SP plan next week, once I am back in the SW groove. I have lost it a bit over Christmas. I find it useful to keep a diary. I have one on here that I use, writing things down really helps.

Let us know how it goes next week :)

Eurgh it's so close to Tuesday! I'm so nervous but I'm so looking forward to finally losing weight after being so rubbish at trying from home

Just let your determination beat your nerves into submission :D SW is the best thing I have ever done for myself, so hopefully it will be the same for you :)

I agree with everyone else; my consultant and group couldn't have been nicer! I've been a member since September, but feel like I've known people a lot longer. We have such a good laugh, that I actually look forward to WI now!

Use the nerves as adrenaline; mine gave me the faked confidence to actually speak to a few people, which really helped me to settle in more.

I'm sooo looking forward to going now- I just need to get rid of this weight and my OH is going to follow the plan too so that will make it so much easier :)

I got back a little while ago and..... I really enjoyed it!
The consultant was lovely and I didn't realise I had sat next to my daughters old teacher, so straight away I had someone to talk to as she is really chatty.
EESP sounds like it's do able and the books are really clear to understand so I think I'll be ok... Here's to shifting this weight!!

I'm so glad I went this evening- I really feel ready for this!
If anyone is in doubt about going to a group I'd recommend you just go for it- I'm so proud that I did it! To go on my own was a big step but hey I DID IT!! :) :)

Back