Preventing Loose/Excess Skin

Fay737731

Silver Member
Does anyone have any tips on preventing loose/excess skin from forming during weight loss?

All of my fat is around my waist (that's why I am UK size 22 even though my legs are quite skinny) and I want to know if anyone has tips for what I can do during my weight loss before I get to maintenance to try and minimise this.

Google gives lots of advice but I wanted to ask the experts...the people who have already experienced it and what they did. Are there any uncontentional tips out there? Are some bit of advice more effective than others etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Fay737731 said:
Does anyone have any tips on preventing loose/excess skin from forming during weight loss?

All of my fat is around my waist (that's why I am UK size 22 even though my legs are quite skinny) and I want to know if anyone has tips for what I can do during my weight loss before I get to maintenance to try and minimise this.

Google gives lots of advice but I wanted to ask the experts...the people who have already experienced it and what they did. Are there any uncontentional tips out there? Are some bit of advice more effective than others etc.?

Thanks in advance!

I think the main one is not to lose weight too fast, as then your skin adjusts more readily. There isn't really a lot else you can do, although some may advocate rubbing something like cocoa butter in. Certainly my understanding from watching many, many weight loss programmes, lol, is that things like exercise don't help with skin, and that your age and skin type pretty much dictate to what extent you'll get it, but the slower you lose the better, hence it being a particular issue in some people who have baratric surgery or use a VLCD. I myself have lost 9 stone in 2 years, through calorie counting, and do inevitably have some loose skin, especially on my upper arms, thighs and lower abdomen, but I've certainly seen much worse and it's much better than carrying all that fat around - I just have to cover up the wobbly, wrinkly bits, lol. :) xx

Avoiding loose skin when you lose weight

Hi

That's a great question and a concern many women have. But don't let the fear of loose skin stop you losing weight though - as there are lots of things you can do to avoid or get rid of loose skin.

Remember you won’t suddenly wake up one morning with lots of loose skin. You are in control and can speed up or slow down as you like. Losing weight is a gradual process and if you find you are losing weight too fast then just slow down a bit.

Stay in control

Make sure you choose the right method to lose weight for you. For example if you lose weight with a diet, make sure you:
- understand how your diet works
- have the support you need
- know how to slow down if you need to, while still staying on track at the same time

Here are some suggestions for easy steps you can take to tone and nourish your skin

- Loose weight at the right speed for you – make sure you listen and watch your body and slow down if you need to

- Stay hydrated - drink 2-4 litres of water (plain water) each day

- Nourish your skin with a protein rich diet

- Improve your skin circulation and tone by:
- Scrub your skin

Get a salt scrub to use at home or make your own. Rub a little oil on your body and then rub sea salt or even sugar like demerara sugar on your body. Do this every day or at least 3 times per week before having a shower.
- Brush your skin
Use a dry skin brush and brush your body in long strokes towards your heart, do this on dry skin before going in the shower. Do this every day or at least 3 times per week.

- Nourish your skin with oils and creams

Use a massage oil to increase collagen and elastin in your skin – massage your skin every day with oils like almond oil or jojoba oil, you can even use olive oil, as long as it’s a good quality oil like organic extra virgin olive oil. Do this after a bath or shower and allow time for the oil to be absorbed before getting dressed. Use an old towel to wrap around yourself while you wait for the oil to soak in. Don’t worry about making your skin greasy or getting spots by using oils on your skin. It will regulate your skin. Use around 1-2 teaspoons on your body and massage into your skin.

- Tone your skin with toning exercises like pilates or with a resistance band – building lean toned muscles under your skin will tighten it

Hope this helps you and good luck with your weight loss goals.

Marilyn

Great reply! That's exactly the type of advice I was after! I basically don't wear any make up....don't cleanse or tone...just shower. My skin can be a little dry and getting spots is rare...all this means I have never needed to know how to look after it so this is really really helpful...thank you!!

My sister can eat anything and stay thin....I have great skin...not the fairest of trade offs!

I'm about to start a VLCD and am slightly concerned about the issues of loose skin, most of my weight is around the middle also, the post above does seem to make sense though, so I shall be keeping an eye on the shrinking skin.... :)

I was also worried about this so the reply above is great! :) I'll give those tips a go :)

Princess_Ruthy said:
I was also worried about this so the reply above is great! :) I'll give those tips a go :)

The most important one to bear in mind is not to lose too quickly - 1-2lbs a week is what's recommended for your best chance of avouding loose skin. Exercise isn't generally effective on skin, it only affects the underlying muscle, but it can't hurt. That post above is one of those strange spam things that keep popping up on here, but it's certainly right about controlling the speed of losses if nothing else. All the best. :) xx

Thanks tracy :) I'm happy if I get 1lb a week if its going in the right direction :)

Princess_Ruthy said:
Thanks tracy :) I'm happy if I get 1lb a week if its going in the right direction :)

That's brilliant. It's taken me 2 years to lose 9 stone, and my skin isn't too bad at all, considering I'm 51 and don't exercise due to health problems. I'm a bit wrinkly and saggy in parts, lol, but it's fine. You'll do great. :) xx

Got my fingers crossed :) Want to look good for my hols next year. Now been away anywhere for 8 years so will be nice. And my first holiday abroad with the hubby too so we both want to look our best :) You look fab that weight loss is amazing x

Princess_Ruthy said:
Got my fingers crossed :) Want to look good for my hols next year. Now been away anywhere for 8 years so will be nice. And my first holiday abroad with the hubby too so we both want to look our best :) You look fab that weight loss is amazing x

Oh thanks, Ruthy, that's very kind of you to say! Trying to get another stone off, but this is the hardest bit for sure, very slow, lol. :) xx

They always say the last bits are the hardest :) Good luck x

Back