Price of fruit and veg!

Chef Loz

So the tv and radio is always saying about over weight people
Anyhow we should eat better but the price of fruit and veg is getting higher and higher
Yet the process rubbish food is the stuff that is on special offer and cheaper

i know!!! It really winds me up, i find aldi can be good for fruit and veg although it doesn't keep as well as others but i freeze any that i'm not going to use so i don't have to chuck it. i also buy frozen fruit and veg, not as good as fresh but its cheaper and lasts longer

Asda is brilliant for fruit and veg. Lids of stuff £1, bags of pears, apples, satsumas ect....veg cheap as well .

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

There's a couple of fruit and veg stalls tucked away round where I live that are actually way cheaper than the supermarket - eg they do massive punnets of blackberries, blueberries, strawberries etc for £1 each, and massive bundles of asparagus for £1.50! Also frozen and tinned veg can be cheap :)

Hi, frozen fruit and vegetables are generally cheaper than the fresh versions and they tend to be nutritionally superior because nutrients aren't loss due to the aging process!

I don't really see the problem, I notice when I don't buy sweets or unhealthy cake stuff that I have enough money to buy vegetables and fruits.
If I don't buy things out of season they are not extremely expensive. The most supermarkets have a reduced section as well and fruits and veg is usually
available for a few pence. Of course it has to be eaten within the next 2 days, but that isn't a problem at all. We usually go to the supermarket every day
to look for bargains.

We don't buy fruit these days, both my husband and I are low carbing - he's lost 41lb so far, I've lost 8lb. We are staying away from fruit because of the high sugar content - sugar is sugar even when it is fruit-shaped! Either you are burning fat or burning carbs, you can't do both at the same time. If you eat sugar then your body will use that for energy first, and you won't be burning any body fat for a few days - totally not worth it. So no fruit for us until we are getting to our right weights.

Veg now - we eat a lot of veg and I do mean a lot. I have really noticed that the price of salad leaves has gone up, also basics like broccoli and courgettes. But it is nice to see that there still are seasonal variations, avocadoes are cheap at the moment for instance, and greens are cheap too.

I completely agree that if you aren't spending money on other stuff then things are easier.

Dr. Wolfgang Lutz was one of the first physicians who made the low carb diet known to people.
He lived on it himself for about 40 years. And he says that low carb involves vegetables as well as fruits.
You just have to eat the right ones with a low carb index under 10 and that includes:
Apples, Blackberries, Papaya, Rhubarb, Raspberries, Melons, Cranberries, Strawberries and Blueberries.
They all have got a low or medium sugar content and are important for your health.
If you go completely without fruits you can get deficiency signs in a long run.

Sugar is still sugar, and we do not need it for our health. There is no risk of any nutrient deficiency incurred by not eating fruit.

Either we are burning fats for energy, or we are burning carbs. Physiologically impossible to do both at the same time. Eating enough sugar (whether from fruit or otherwise) to trigger insulin release, will cause fat burning to switch off. ;)

Thankyou for the mention of Dr Lutz - I found this link - what an amazing man!

Tell you what I do wish - I wish they'd put up the prices of all the processed stuff in the middle aisles of the supermarkets instead, and leave the green produce section alone....

And your diet sounds interesting! - how are you finding it? - is it difficult?

Fruit sugar is not the same like refined sugar, because refined sugar is metabolised differently.
Fruit sugar is to find in many food products which don't even have to do with sweets, so it's possible you eat it without knowing it.
It's important to give the body a moderate input of sugar (through fruits not through sweets) that the blood sugar doesn't drop too much,
especially PCOS people can have this problem.
Dr. Lutz says you just have to combine the things right and eat fruits which have less than 10 gram of carbs on 100g.
All the fruits I listed earlier are ok in moderate quantities. The most important thing to avoid is eating fat and sugar (fruit sugar and others)
together because that's the cause of love handles.

You are so right, I wish the same, would make it much easier to buy always the right things :)
Yes Dr. Lutz was amazing, he became quite old with his low carb diet. And he was obviously never ill.

My diet is a mix between Dr. Lutz and Dr. Buchinger. First you do the therapeutic fasting for about 6-8 weeks.
Then you reset it with Dr. Lutz diet and feel great and you can feel the energy floating through your veins :vibes:

I think we will have to agree to disagree re fruit sugars.

Yes, fructose is different from ordinary sugar - that is, sucrose. A molecule of sucrose is made up of fructose combined with glucose, and these two things are dealt with differently in the body. However fructose is dealt with in exactly the same way whether it comes from ordinary sugar, or from a piece of fruit.

Fructose has enjoyed a reputation for being healthy because it does not raise blood sugars directly, but it is not benign in terms of its effect on health. It is metabolised by the liver, and some of it is converted to glucose - which can then trigger an insulin release, of course. The other major destination for fructose is fat, through de novo lipogenesis. Also, some of the other products of metabolisation of fructose cause horrible problems for people who get gout - like my husband, he's had it for more than 30 years - so we've got pretty good at avoiding the stuff.

We are all different with regard to the level of sugars/carbs that we can eat without stalling weight loss and switching our metabolism back to carb burning instead of fat burning. Some of us need to keep the levels very low, this will include those of us who are insulin resistant. And that - sigh - includes me....:sigh:

And - wow - fasting for 6-8 weeks! I know you are still having appropriate fluids - but, wow, I just couldn't do that, I have no willpower. Don't you get starving hungry?

Anyway, I hope it works for you! I'd be really interested to hear how you get on, so please keep posting. :)

Veg now - we eat a lot of veg and I do mean a lot. I have really noticed that the price of salad leaves has gone up, also basics like broccoli and courgettes. But it is nice to see that there still are seasonal variations, avocadoes are cheap at the moment for instance, and greens are cheap too.
A good overview over what is in season, and when can be found here: Seasonal - Seasonal food - BBC Good Food :)

@southwestgirl

lol ok let's agree to disagree regarding fruit sugar ;)

Well fasting is not like starving at all, otherwise it would be more than unhealthy and usually you do the fasting to help your body not to destroy it.
It is different because you take in about 400 kcal per day through vegetable and fruit juices and you should ideally do a bit sports like swimming or yoga.
You can't start it immediately, you have to do 3 to 7 days so called easing days and eat just light things and you have to clean your guts with prune juice
or other natural things like glauber salt (never try that it's horrible). If your guts are empty then they can start to rest and build up a new and healthy gut flora.
You are usually not hungry if your guts are empty. If it happens that you are getting hungry you should stop fasting because then your body signalises that it's enough.
I did it twice so far and managed always the 6-8 weeks and I lost about 46kg. I also managed to keep the weight low, but then.. well you can read the story
in my Hello thread.
So it is of course challenging but you can't imagine how great you feel afterwards :king:

Have just gone and read your story in the Hello! thread - :bighug:

But to be honest this diet does sound a bit scary - hope you're doing this under medical supervision - maybe run it past your GP first? - or perhaps ask for checkups whilst you're doing it? Or are you going to stay at one of the clinics?

No of course are you under medical supervision, the doctor takes your blood samples every 4 weeks usually.
But you should also listen to your body, it's not a scary diet as it may sound, it is relaxing the guts.
It's not so that you sit there every day and starve your way through the diet, it's rather that you give yourself time to do things to rest your soul.
I don't know if Therapeutic fasting is well known here in England, I'm originally from Germany and there it is really well known and an old tradition.
There are very good medical based communities in Germany which spend the fasting time with you and answer every question you might have.
So it is really a good thing :)
Of course, nobody starts with a long time fasting as I do it, the most ones start with a week or two.
The body shouldn't be violated.

Back