Me, Myself & I... Lower carb, fasting, real live foods

Hi Ladies,
I'm new to all of this. Started on Orilstat this morning, and taken the day off of work to allow e to research etc!! Any uselful tips etc... I'd be really graetful. I've been reading your threads and would like to join your group if thats OK? ;-)

Hi I'm Mandy and I'm new to orilstat I've been on it a week.
I've cut out all fat and I've been exercising. I'm hypothyroidic and that was discovered in November 2015.
Last night I had a few oven chips,I woke up today feeling real sick.
Has anyone here had the same experience

The bulge out my right side is not quite a hernia (YET!) the muscles are weak and separated.. I get a few sharp twinges when rolling over in bed or getting out of bed. Although Since I started the slendertone belt Ab7 those twinges are less, also the yoga and Pilates are helping.

The umbilical hernia - no pain but when I cough or strain (lol) it pops out.. The GP did say the umbilical hernia needs surgery, but not much they can do about the muscles.

I think I really need to get my abdomen fixed properly, it's really lopsided.
I have a midline scar upper abdomen from when I was 5 (crushed liver/spleen), weak muscles on upper left side.
2 c-section scars,
appendix scar, with weak muscles on lower right side .. Which gives me bad back pain.

So am seriously looking at a tummy tuck to tighten the muscles and fix the hernia. The recovery time for the hernia is 6-8+ weeks which is about the same as a tummy tuck, but I should get much better results from the tummy tuck! :)

Exercise this week..

Monday - kettlercise.. Done :)
Wednesday- Pilates.. Done :)
Thursday- yoga.. Done :)
Friday- spinning., Done :)
I survived lol

Hi I'm Mandy and I'm new to orilstat I've been on it a week.
I've cut out all fat and I've been exercising. I'm hypothyroidic and that was discovered in November 2015.
Last night I had a few oven chips,I woke up today feeling real sick.
Has anyone here had the same experience

Hi Mandy! I doubt any oven chips would fall within the rules of eating on Orlistat, so that's probably why you feel a bit off after them - hope you don't get any of the really nasty effects! Good luck. :) xx

Hi Mandy, sorry didn't see your post yesterday. I don't use xenical any more, it did help to start with but you have to be so very careful with fat content otherwise it can lead to very nasty toilet related accidents.

If you use FB it might be an idea to join a group called "iodine" to help with your hypothyroidism.. Also a book called the iodine crisis by Lynne Farrow.

I'm intolerant to gluten/ cows milk/ egg whites., border line egg yolks/ yeast/ shell fish.. Explains a lot .. Had figured out the gluten and milk .. The eggs are a new one on me. Explains the reaction to gluten free breads - yeast content!

image.png

Kettlercise this morning.. All good!

Breakfast was goat milk yogurt, with seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, chia, flax) 1/4 apple/ 1/4 pear.
I need to figure out if this will work - rather than the egg bacon route!

Another week gone.. Managed to not eat eggs, cows milk- switched to goat milk products, don't eat wheat anyway, yeast is a bit harder .. It's in so many things!

Exercise this week: Monday- kettlercise, Tuesday- total body conditioning, Wednesday- Pilates Thursday nothing as had a doctor appt, Friday- spinning.. Next week is a rest week due to boys off school!

I've spent all week loosing 1.5kg of gain from last weekend- takeaways On Saturday and Sunday.. Was my birthday. This weekend we are going to an Italian restaurant- I'll happily say no to pizza and pasta .. So many other lovely things to eat ! I'll miss the mozzarella :( as its buffalo mozzarella does that mean it's from buffalo? Not cows ;) lol

WI today.. Lost 500g (1.1lb) finally loosing some weight!

I'm attributing this to removing eggs and cows milk, I've not change anything else I was already gluten free and don't eat much yeast anyway.

Really pleased :). Let's hope it continues!

Got my hair mineral test back! High calcium, low potassium, low sodium/low magnesium ratio .. Therefore reduced adrenal function. I have ordered the recommend supplements.. Hope they help :) have also been experimenting with foods high in potassium and Epsom salt baths for magnesium.

My goal this year is to pre commit to exercise.. Also to do a range of different exercises as hard out spinning or cardio depletes my energy and then I can't do anything else! So starting the week with kettlercise (when I have good energy levels) yoga and Pilates midweek stretch and work my core but don't really impact my energy levels .. So by Friday I'm ready for spinning which is normally a hill class which is not a sprint class but still a cardio class and I end on a bit of an exercise buzz! Rest sat/sun ., I've recently added in a class on Tuesday which is a mod cardio class and I seem to be ok energy wise .. But if my energy levels drop I'll stop that class and have a rest day .. I've realized I've got to listen to my body's energy levels or I bottom out and can't to anything for anyone!! I become a couch potato zombie ;)

Well last week I fiddled with my diet.. Adding in more fruits that are high in potassium, like bananas, fresh dates, dried fruit. Gradually as the week has gone on I've become hungrier and started getting a bit of a headache.. Yesterday I was in full on binge mode! my binge involved lots of GF bread, bacon, avocado and Chinese dim sims, chicken wings and wontons.. Then I finished off a 100g pack of "golden berry" has 1200mg potassium.. I felt like I was drunk! My head was spinning and I was talking rubbish.. I feel like I have a hang over this morning!

I can not eat foods like this as my body can not handle the sugars, and it makes me uncontrollably hungry! I need a new plan!!

NEW (old) food plan .. Aim is to increase my potassium levels and magnesium levels plus others .. Reason for these changes is after a discussion with a functional nutritionist who looked at my hair mineral test results.

Foods high in potassium.
Goat milk yogurt, Goat milk, Coconut water, Cream of tartar, Avocado, Tomatoes, Carrots, Winter squashes, sweet potatoes, Cooked spinach.

Start doing Adrenal cocktails, 2 times a day when possible- coconut water, ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp whole vitamin C, ¼ tsp cream of tartar.

Also buy some trace minerals potassium 99mg.

Epsom salt baths help to get magnesium into the body and also help with detox symptoms and muscle aches and more.

MRI shows a fatty liver.. Knew about that and have been trying to fix it.. What I have been doing is not working.. New plan !

Start taking Taurine supplements upto 3mg.. Supplementing with taurine can provide numerous health benefits, including restoring insulin sensitivity, mitigating diabetic complications, reversing cardiovascular disease factors, preventing and treating fatty liver disease, alleviating seizures, reversing tinnitus, and more.
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2013/6/the-forgotten-longevity-benefits-of-taurine/page-01

Add in some bitter herbs, hcl betaine for gut Heath. Already got dandelion, and dairy free probiotics. Some psyllium husks for colon Heath.

Plodding along with diet .. And exercising with a hop skip and a jump ;) weight is still a bit up but I'm less bloated. I'm still not loosing weight off the scales but. Inches/cm/ mm keep coming off everywhere except my abdomen.

No exercise this week as I've got a wonderful cold..

The bulge out my right side is not quite a hernia (YET!) the muscles are weak and separated.. I get a few sharp twinges when rolling over in bed or getting out of bed. Although Since I started the slendertone belt Ab7 those twinges are less, also the yoga and Pilates are helping.

The umbilical hernia - no pain but when I cough or strain (lol) it pops out.. The GP did say the umbilical hernia needs surgery, but not much they can do about the muscles.

I think I really need to get my abdomen fixed properly, it's really lopsided.
I have a midline scar upper abdomen from when I was 5 (crushed liver/spleen), weak muscles on upper left side.
2 c-section scars,
appendix scar, with weak muscles on lower right side .. Which gives me bad back pain.

So am seriously looking at a tummy tuck to tighten the muscles and fix the hernia. The recovery time for the hernia is 6-8+ weeks which is about the same as a tummy tuck, but I should get much better results from the tummy tuck! :)

I had the tummy tuck done 23rd March ...

23rd March I Went for the operation at 4/5pm .. anaesthologist was very good, very professional, no messing around with the cannula. Just straight in, drugs given and went to sleep. Woke up about 9:30/10pm (I think) .. Cotton mouth and very thirsty, pain relief in place thank goodness.. So was feeling ok. A lot spaced out.. Surprisingly didn't swear too much lol the male nurses were very efficient, wiped me down.. Dosed me with more strong painkillers.. Then helped me into the compression garment.. Roll this way, that way, lift your bum, sit up.. Very firm but gentle.. Didn't feel embarrassed because I was naked, they were professional and kind.

Taken back to my room by about 11pm.. Was feeling a bit nauseous, ate a yogurt, drank more water.. Needed the bathroom, sat up and vomited. Water and yogurt.. Felt much better afterwards.. Why is it that after being sick you feel better..

Walking to the bathroom for the 1st time was interesting.. Felt lighter and my balance was different, major mission though as I've got 2 drains and was on IV fluids, couldn't pee, but my period had started again, I thought it had finished :( the night nurses (woman) didn't make me feel embarrassed just sorted out some pads for the bed.

2nd trip to the bathroom was better, bit dizzy, but didn't vomit! Plus I managed to pee :)

Getting out of bed is the hardest thing, lucky I have a great electric bed and strong nurses !

3rd trip this morning was easier.. Managed to pee again. Been drinking lots of water.

Pain is not too bad as I'm getting regular morphine .

24th March - Day1 recovery
the surgeon said, My lower belly apron of fat was removed, He said my abdomen muscles were very badly stretched and separated.. He said when they lifted the skin he wasn't sure what he was seeing as it was a real mess! He was afraid that I had multiple hernias.. He said he had to have a good look and check .. Then He had to do lots of stitches down the middle and on the obliques too which is why the operation was 4.5hours long !

25th Day2

Had been up more times to the loo during the night with help getting out of bed. I managed this morning to get out of bed myself and go to the loo. I'm Back home today after seeing the surgeon, given various meds and they decided to leave the drains in. I have to go back and see him Tuesday. Which is when they will take the drains out.. Check everything etc

Day3
1st night home was ok, just hate sleeping on my back! Got up about 2:30am to the loo, got back into bed and realised I'd not turned out the light .. Bah!! This morning Walking down stairs not so bad .. Walking upstairs not good!

Took some milk of magnesia to help me to go to the loo, not been since Wednesday. I've been eating light foods to help the process.. Nothing yet except gas and wind..

Day4
Moving better today, continuing with milk of magnesia morning and evening.. Have ordered some peppermint tea.. Should come tomorrow. I've been drinking some nettle tea..

Lucky for me I've managed to "go" just need to get it a bit regular again ;)

Day5
Feeling much better today, walking is easier - still slowly but slightly straighter.. Less like like a hunched over old granny .. My kids comments

Oh wow, Tara, I had no idea! Here's my going on about eating too much chocolate and gaining weight over Easter and you've been going through all that on the quiet!! I hope you improve even more really quickly, as I can only imagine how painful it is. The only abdominal surgery I've had was my GB removal, which is relatively nothing, and that was painful enough. Take care of yourself, hon, and keep us posted on how you're getting on. :) xx

No don't worry!! LI'm kind of lucky I don't like Easter chocolate, I only like really dark chocolate and recently I've not felt like eating much chocolate anyway, is a bit weird but I'm assuming my new supplements to impove my mineral levels and support my adrenal function are having this effect.. I've also kind of gone off of Diet Coke too . shocking lol

The painkillers, antibiotics, anticoagulants and tablets for keeping my stomach safe while taking the rest are all good. I'm back on the tramadol (1x3) and paracetamol every 4 hours, it's all keeping the pain manageable.

Every day I feel just that wee bit better .. But it will take 6 -8 weeks before I can start exercising normally again.. So just walking for now :)

As someone once said.. Slowly slowly catchy monkey !!

I'm 3 weeks back into exercise, but still not 100% I get tired really quick and carrying anything for too long pulls on my abdomen muscles making them ache.. I should be ok to start doing direct abdominal exercises in about 2 weeks, which will help strengthen them so that I can carry bags of shopping around without getting pain. Worst thing is the swelling at the end of the day .. I know that I'll be great in 6-8-12 months time., waiting is hard :)

Kettlercise with 2.5/3kg bell
Pilates class and hopefully getting to yoga too this week.

Want to start jogging too ..

Back