Prince Henry of Wales????

Harry is just a nickname his full name is Henry Charles Albert David so they may have been being very formal, but yeah Prince Henry does sound a bit odd

Well I never knew that! I have only ever heard him referred to as Prince Harry. Well I never.

Thanks - feeling a bit thick now!

Harry is commonly used in place of Henry just as a lot of people called Jack are officially really called John. I know it's very confusing especially since these other names aren't even shortened versions of the original name but Harry is officially Henry. In the unlikely event Harry ever came to the throne he would probably be King Henry.

It's pretty common in my family too since a lot of our official names are passed on through the generations... my great grandfather, grandfather, father and brother all have the same forename and surname for example so their birth certificates say that name but within the family we call them other names. Same with my mother and grandmother - my mother only uses her real name for hospital appointments, and legal stuff/bank accounts.

The Queen was commonly known to her parents and sister as "Lilibet" as obviously the Queen Mother was also named Elizabeth. Prince Charles is rumoured to be considering using the name George (his middle name and in honour of his grandfather) when he acceeds to the throne - how confusing will that be after years of calling him Charles ;) .

When it comes to royals you can't always go by what they're commonly referred to as. We commonly call the Duchess of Cambridge Kate as she was before she was married, but since her marriage she is officially styled as Catherine.

The Prince Harry thing always makes me chuckle though as it always catches people out.

Edward VII was Albert Edward

Edward VIII had seven Christian names, the first of which was Edward and the last of which was David - all his family and close friends called him David

George VI was Albert Frederick Arthur George

I can remember when Prince Harry was born that it was said that he would be christened Henry but known as Harry.

Back