Protein Shakes

AnnieAnnie

Gold Member
Hi all,

Am new so please bear with me, if this question has been asked 1000 times before!

As I travel (ALOT) with work, mainly in my car, breakfast is a bit of an issue (and always has been, irrelevant of my WOE).

Protein shakes are ideal but I wonder if they are what Jim refers to as Frankenfoods?

I don't want to go down the Atkins bar route as I think the sweetness will not do me any good & encourage my urge to binge eat. However, I'm not sure protein shakes fall within the 'Frankenfoods' category. Ideally I would have a proper breakfast, but a regular 2 hour commute means my options are very limited!

Oh & if anyone does have protein shakes - which powder is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

AA

I'm stalled by Atkins bars but not by Atkins shakes - the shakes are sweetened with sucralose, not polyols. I can't say this would be the same for everyone but there should be less reason for them to stall you.

However the shakes I actually have personally are dietimeal chocolate shakes from lowcarbmegastore - cheaper than Atkins, fewer chemicals, no polyols, 1.5g carbs per shake, and IMO they taste nicer too.

I'm sure others will check in with their faves.

I love the Atkins ready to drink vanilla shakes. They taste great eat, in coffee, and even in tea!

They are not the cheapest option but to me they have the best flavour and texture. I often have one for breakfast when I am in a rush.

Jim likes clean and green eating! He avoids shakes and meal bars, regarding them as artificial and full of less than entirely healthy things.

Many shakes, bars etc are soya based and when you think about it pulverising soya beans to make liquid to drink or margarine to spread on bread must take a lot of work and a lot of 'stages'. In other words all down to modern food technology and very far from being 'natural'.

I do agree that the more natural, whole foods we have in our diet, the better. I limit my intake of Atkins and similar products, now.

Last edited:
i have a tub of plain from ebay, and a tub of vanilla from holland and barret, use them for breakfast on work days, very low carb, very handy.

girlygirl1 said:
Many shakes, bars etc are soya based and when you think about it pulverising soya beans to make liquid to drink or margarine to spread on bread must take a lot of work and a lot of 'stages'. In other words all down to modern food technology and very far from being 'natural'.
now.

The chinese have been doing that by hand for centuries ;)

I agree but the chinese traditionally harvest soy bean curd! They don't make tiny soya crunchy pieces to put in low carb bars or 'soya spread'. For those you need a factory... Tofu in original form I find revolting but in burgers etc it can be delicious!

One thing that does worry me is that the vast majority of soy products come from GM beans.

Jim is hardcore Atkins and credit to him. I agree with him for the most part, but there are 3 things that really help me stick to this diet. 1) Heinz 1 carb ketchup 2) Joseph's pitas (4g carbs each) and 3) Ready to drink low carb protein shakes, Atkins or Carb Sense.

They won't do you any harm but make sure they either have fat in or you have some to add in the form of nuts/capsules etc.

Hi Annie,

On lowcarbmegastore there's a zero carb protein shake you can buy, it works out cheaper than most protein shakes and obviously with no carbs it's great, my first batch of it arrived today and i plan to have it for breakfasts so i don't have to cook in the mornings :)

Hi, yeah i've tried it, it has a peculiar after taste but i added the amaretto carb free syrup that i bought from lowcarbmegastore and it was yummy :)

Back