Protein shakes?

ChubLock

Silver Member
Does anyone supplement their exercising with Protein shakes? My OH regularly uses Hemp protein shakes which not only look vile but also taste disgusting. Has anyone got any ideas which are good? Do they actually benefit someone like me who is only working out 3-4 times a week for max 1hr (mainly cardio with one session of resistance). Are they high calorie too cos I am doing a calorie controlled diet too. Thank you.

Hi, yes I use them although I mostly do weight training rather than cardio when I'm in the gym. I want to build muscle as I think it looks good but also because I believe that muscle so building helps me reduce body fat.
I do calorie-Counting on my fitness pal. Yes, protein shakes contain calories but for me, calories aren't the whole picture. I have had better results since starting to pay attention to ratio of protein to carbs to healthy fats. Not just calories. Sounds complicated but my fitness pal makes it easy. Good luck!

I would recommend energyfirst whey protein. I have tried the chocolate whey protein and it tasted pretty good. They also don't use any artificial sweeteners and its all isolates of whey which have a higher absorption rate.

I use them and I'm on a low calorie diet (1400-1600 a day). I've found that they do help yeah so I'd recommend them. If you want to know where I get mine from, I can send you a link. They're about 120 calories a scoop for the ones I use, I've had the chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. Sometimes I have it as a protein shake but I use it in cooking too, pancakes, cakes, muffins, stuff like that.

It really depends on your diet and goals and how much protein you really need.

The main advantages with whey protein are its price and convenience. If you can afford to get proper, whole foods like chicken and have the time to prepare it and such, then if I were you I'd stick to whole foods. They are more natural and thought to be better sources of protein; whole foods, not whey protein. Whey protein is natural; it's just a by-product of cheese production, but again, whole foods are always going to come out on top.

If you are struggling to get your protein in, by all means go for protein powder. If not, stick to whole foods.

Good luck!

Back