Protein shakes

Chubby chick 2023

Silver Member
Am a fan of low carb eating, but after having
Had a bit of a binge week I felt I needed something more drastic and focused for a couple of weeks to kick start me. Have bought some protein powder and am having a shake (made with water) for breakfast and lunch and then a meal like salmon or chicken with vegetables for an evening meal. Have never been much of a believer in liquid meals but really hoping this will give me a much needed kick up the bum! Has anyone else tried this? Is it a bit like exante or one of the other ones? Am on day two- the shakes taste vile but am not hungry!

I use the herbalife protein shake for my breakfast as I'm not a huge cereal fan and it actually stops me eating lots if food. You can replace two meals a day with it if you like and a Normal meal at night. I have my shake with milk though. The calories are worth the difference in taste

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yeah, I made one with milk yesterday and it was actually quite tasty- didn't have to glug it back with my nose held like the water one. Just making sure I have it with only a little milk so sugars aren't too high.

The sugars are negligible in milk. Although due to discovering I've got a dairy allergy I've been using Oaty milk which has less cals in it and tastes ok

That's a great start! I can never be bothered making them up, it's easier just to grab a handful of nuts. :rolleyes: But if you stick at it I'm sure you'll have great results. What flavour? I find it's really hard to get a nice tasting chocolate one. Puke!

It's called double choc, and made with a bit of milk and some ice it's ok, I'm not going to lie - its not yazoo but it's drinkable. I have it with a huge mug of tea and a huge mug of peppermint tea so am always full afterwards. It's from a company called protein max or something. Comes in a sack that reminds me of dog food :D

It's called double choc, and made with a bit of milk and some ice it's ok, I'm not going to lie - its not yazoo but it's drinkable. I have it with a huge mug of tea and a huge mug of peppermint tea so am always full afterwards. It's from a company called protein max or something. Comes in a sack that reminds me of dog food :D

That's awesome that you're sticking to it - I'm sure the chocolate flavour must be ok if it's at least drinkable. Peppermint tea sounds like a great idea!

You can also try it with heavy or light cream and water which will create milk but sugar free. If it's not sweet enough, you could add an artificial sweetenner.

Cream!!! You do realise this is a weight loss forum?

Yes but she was talking about making z protein shake with it. That's not like adding a bit to a cake

No but to be fair, if I want to stick to a lo carb diet then cream and water would be better than milk for the job- I don't count calories, just carb grams. Problem with that is..... I don't like cream :( so have been mixing milk and water and ice cubes as a compromise. Tastes pretty good!

I was thinking more about the actual fat content rather than the calories

Yes but she was talking about making z protein shake with it. That's not like adding a bit to a cake

LOL...okay, RawrGirl sees why you were confused. As a fellow low-carber, I knew the original poster would understand what I meant. You can make "milk" with cream and water and artificial sweetener. You only need about 1 TB cream to make 1 and 1/4 cup of milk. Now you have the fat/calories of 2% milk. Add 2 packets of sweetener or 2 drops of liquid Splenda to that, and you have the same sweetness as milk. All for only 1 TB cream (100 calories and no carbs). If you use 1 TB light cream...it's more like 1% milk...so you have less calories and not as creamy. As low-carbers, if not counting your calories, a yucky protein shake made just with water can suddenly taste a whole lot better.

But you are right, if RawrGirl was suggesting she make the protein shake with ALL cream, low-carb or not, she would gain weight! :p

Omg! That quantity sounds ok :) my visions were terrible! :) although why you would add sweetener is beyond me. Milk isn't sweet

I've used various low carb shakes. I am now using Myprotein Impact Whey Protein. It's very very reasonably priced, as low carb shakes can be very pricey, and it is only 1.5g carbs per serving. I have a couple of these a day, a protein snack in the afternoon if hungry, and a low carb meal in the evening

Back